Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (Rian Johnson 2017)

Dixon Hill

Yeah, that set was built on the Irish mainland in order to replicate the scenery and Skellig Michael and allow for more versatility in the shooting process

15 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Wow, that temple set is gobsmackingly impressive considering the logistical challenges of Skellig. They got a crane there and everything! Most directors would've lumped that one in the too-hard basket.

Should make for some amazing helicopter cinematography, especially at sunset.

Yea!

15 minutes ago, Romão said:

Yeah, that set was built on the Irish mainland in order to replicate the scenery and Skellig Michael and allow for more versatility in the shooting process

Oh, it looked like they built on Skellig Michael from those photos. Had me fooled!

On 4/29/2016 at 7:31 AM, someonefun124 said:

When do you think a composer will be announced? Williams (hopefully!) or otherwise? I imagine they'll have a rough cut of the film ready by the end of the year.

Well, they are halfway through principal photography. I think the composer will be confirmed late this year or early 2017.

On 5/5/2016 at 6:43 AM, Matt C said:

Well, they are halfway through principal photography. I think the composer will be confirmed late this year or early 2017.

I'd probably start to get worried if Williams isn't announced by the end of this year. I imagine he'll be announced within weeks of signing on the dotted line; Disney wouldn't hesitate to get the news out there.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Sounds hilarious

Call me a curmudgeon if you will, but what is the point of all these masked cameos? The Daniel Craig one was jarringly absurd, and felt shoehorned to say the least. If not for his ego that scene might have actually given Phasma something to do (albeit it would have ended differently of course, but you get the idea).

I was referring to the sequence in general. You have this bog-standard soldier - almost always cannon fodder in these films - come out of nowhere and for some reason he's equipped with an anti-lightsaber device and knows how to defend himself against one. This opens up a can of worms I don't really want to get into, but suffice to say, wouldn't it have made more sense just to have Captain Phasma as this soldier, since A) she's an established character at that point; B) you suppose she is a superior, elite soldier; and C) we've had some background between her and Finn. And as I said before, at least it would give her something to do.

Only when you learn that the soldier was played by Craig does it begin to make sense.

What are you talking about?  Daniel Craig voiced the guy that Rey Jedi Mind Tricks, not the guy that fights Finn.

It's true. Once you know to listen for it, you can totally tell it's Craig doing an American accent.

"I will remove these restraints and leave this cell with the door open."

7 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

It's true. Once you know to listen for it, you can totally tell it's Craig doing an American accent.

"I will remove these restraints and leave this cell with the door open."

American accent?

17 hours ago, Jay said:

What are you talking about?  Daniel Craig voiced the guy that Rey Jedi Mind Tricks, not the guy that fights Finn.

Oh dear. I remember seeing an article once about the cameo which featured a picture of the trooper from that scene, and I just assumed it was him in that scene (I can't say I noticed Daniel Craig voicing the trooper in the mind-trick scene, it didn't cross my mind at all). Might teach me to read the article in future, save me from embarrassing myself. I've lived in blissful ignorance these past five months!

Still, the point in essence stands (just remove all Daniel Craig references).

He's said that numerous times, basically since the release of the film. 

p.s. Snoke is Snoke.

I'm putting money on the fact that his real body is TINY though.  Yoda-ish, maybe smaller.

I was just about to suggest one of those :lol:

An evil apprenticeship with the master carried on the front instead of the back. It's like poetry!

6 hours ago, Stefancos said:

It doesnt, actually.

You complained the Craig cameo was jarringly absurd....turns out you thought he was playing a different character all together.

I'll change it to the scene itself (the one with Finn, not the mind trick one) was jarring (at least to me) if that helps my case.

I'm determined to salvage a shred of integrity here. Clearly I've already embarrassed myself beyond all measure. To be honest, I've no idea why I wandered into this thread in the first place.

And Snoke is clearly Daniel Craig.

THERE ARE MAJOR SPOILERS AT THE LINK BELOW. DO NOT CLICK IT IF YOU DO NOT WISH TO BE SPOILED!

A MakingStarWars.net report

(I didn't use the actual link text because it might be considered a spoiler)

This sounds really cool! DON'T CLICK ON THE HIDDEN TEXT BELOW EITHER IF YOU DON'T WANT A MAJOR SPOILER.

Spoiler

Really changes the way you think about the Force-back from TFA. I always thought the Knights of Ren shot from there was from the past, but it could actually have been a look at the future (the events of Episode 8). 

(I'm being really cautious about spoilers here because I don't want to ruin the movie for anyone)

I'd consider it one actually, if it turned out correct. If it is something I'd not considered before and then proven to by accurate it'd be spoilersome. 

Luckily for me I don't sit there brainstorming possible plot points in Star Wars movies during my idle minded time. 

Not reading that, but after TFA came out I went skimming through old spoilers and Making Star Wars had compiled basically the whole story before the summer. Just about everything they got their hands on was either dead accurate or on the right track so the spoiler-wary should probably (definitely) stay away from there. Seems like they check their sources more than others and are pretty straight up about what they do and don't know.

I'm more and more convinced that Yoda will have a little part in this movie... surely as an hologram.

Luke and Rey watching old DVDs of Yoda.  They are in the first Jedi Temple after all.  What else to do.

17 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

Not reading that, but after TFA came out I went skimming through old spoilers and Making Star Wars had compiled basically the whole story before the summer. Just about everything they got their hands on was either dead accurate or on the right track so the spoiler-wary should probably (definitely) stay away from there. Seems like they check their sources more than others and are pretty straight up about what they do and don't know.

Yeah, Making Star Wars has an exceptionally good track record. I think I read once in an interview with the editor-in-chief, Jason Ward, that they only post info that's been confirmed by multiple sources. And even the stuff they post that doesn't end up in the movie isn't usually wrong, because it was an early idea that just didn't make it into the final film. Making Star Wars is not speculation. It's solid reporting. 

Nothing terribly spoilerific, unless

Spoiler

this happens at the film's climax. It strikes me more as a 2nd act sequence, though.

Nice to hear about a certain lightsaber colour though, if it's true. :)

14 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

What's the point though? I don't see the purpose of divulging plot information for an upcoming film.

I found MSW's coverage far more enjoyable in the build up to the film to the official site and JJ's mystery box.

Spoilers don't bother me and it was nice knowing in July that film was basically going to be ANH. Nice to come to terms with that early.