Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (Rian Johnson 2017)

Dixon Hill

10 hours ago, Stefancos said:

What's the point though? I don't see the purpose of divulging plot information for an upcoming film.

I'm not sure how many more Episode 8 spoilers I will read, but basically the cool thing about spoilers is that you hear about a scene that sounds really awesome and then you imagine how it will be realized on screen, and in a lot of ways it builds the anticipation for the film's release. Then when it's finally released, you go, "Oh, I remember reading the description of this scene, it's terrific to finally see it on screen!"

Fake or not, it does fit the pattern of each title having a new noun.

Menace

Clones

Sith

Empire

Jedi

Force

Spoiler

Resistance

There's really very few other options at this point, other than, hmm, Gungan? Midichlorians?

That's Lucas' fault. Return of the Jedi, Attack of the Clones, Revenge of the Sith, Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, Fall of the Resistance.

It's sooooo lazy. I much preferred the working titles for Indy 4 (City of God/Destroyer of Worlds).

12 hours ago, Bill said:

I'm not sure how many more Episode 8 spoilers I will read, but basically the cool thing about spoilers is that you hear about a scene that sounds really awesome and then you imagine how it will be realized on screen, and in a lot of ways it builds the anticipation for the film's release. Then when it's finally released, you go, "Oh, I remember reading the description of this scene, it's terrific to finally see it on screen!"

In that way, I guess it's not really that different from anticipating a film based on a book you've read.

I think also for some fans, it's like some form of stress relief because they're constantly thinking about it and it makes them too anxious, so they'd rather imagine stuff that's actually going to happen and piece it all together. And for some people, I don't think the first time is that important to them because they know they're going to watch it a million times every year anyway. They're more concerned about what it's adding to the rest of the saga than its value as an individual experience.

Going into TPM and AOTC I read every spoiler I possibly could.  I can't really explain why other than not having any willpower to avoid them. With ROTS I didn't go out of my way to find spoilers, and with TFA I did my best to avoid them. I guess 15 years ago I was so excited for new SW movies I just couldn't wait. 

But why? That element of freshness and suspense is precious when viewing a dramatic narrative work for the first time. It's a core element of what keeps an audience entertained: the unknown, what's going to happen next?

On 20 May 2016 at 4:50 PM, Shatner's Rug said:

Sometimes I find movies hard to follow unless they're explained to me beforehand.

If this was directed at me you've missed my point. 

I would have been disappointed on first viewing had I not already come to terms with the fact that the plot was super close to that of ANH. I didn't need anything explained to me to understand the film. 

Or maybe you genuinely do need films explained to you :eh:

1 hour ago, Shatner's Rug said:

But why? That element of freshness and suspense is precious when viewing a dramatic narrative work for the first time. It's a core element of what keeps an audience entertained: the unknown, what's going to happen next?

It's a core element but not the only one. There's something to be said for surprises in execution, how all the elements come together to tell that story. I've seen enough movies where I knew what was going to happen on a plot level because I'd read the book or I knew the true story or I'd seen the original and was still surprised and delighted and held in suspense throughout. Because of the performances, or the music, or the way a sequence came together that I didn't expect. The pace of the film, a particularly well-timed line of dialogue. There's suspense in the mere process of seeing a story unfolding before your eyes when it's done well.

I agree that people who learn everything will definitely not enjoy it as much as somebody going in cold, not in the same way. But I also wouldn't say it's a dealbreaker or that their experience will be indifferent. I think a lot of the people who spoiled themselves for Force Awakens would have still found their hearts pounding as Han Solo stepped out onto the bridge, just for a different reason than everybody around them.

I think most people who spoil themselves are pretty confident that they're going to enjoy it no matter what and consider the two years of online speculation and anticipation with other fans to be a fair trade-off for minimizing their shock and awe.

54 minutes ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

I would have been disappointed on first viewing had I not already come to terms with the fact that the plot was super close to that of ANH.

Same.

Plus it was actually quite thrilling seeing scenes I had been imagining and speculating about for months finally come to fruition.  

JWFan certainly has room for those who want to be spoiled and those who don't. Just gotta make sure the spoiler people don't ruin things for the unspoiled.

There was actually enough concern pre-TFA that some begged for a separate spoiler thread, but it was a total failure.

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/25643-upcoming-star-wars-films-spoilers-allowed-area/

1 hour ago, Jay said:

It was a total failure.

I think that's an understatement! 5 posts! :lol:

5 hours ago, Shatner's Rug said:

You're right.  It's more realistic and relatable.

5 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Same.

Plus it was actually quite thrilling seeing scenes I had been imagining and speculating about for months finally come to fruition.  

Then comes the risk that the film underdelivers on what was descibed in the spoilers and speculation discussions.

2 hours ago, TheWhiteRider said:

You're right.  It's more realistic and relatable.

It is in a way! I can't see the future in real life, so it makes no sense if I'm ahead of the characters in a film as it's being shown to me for the first time.

5 hours ago, Jay said:

JWFan certainly has room for those who want to be spoiled and those who don't. Just gotta make sure the spoiler people don't ruin things for the unspoiled.

There was actually enough concern pre-TFA that some begged for a separate spoiler thread, but it was a total failure.

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/25643-upcoming-star-wars-films-spoilers-allowed-area/

I called the biggest spoiler of all!

6 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Same.

It was great! I loved having a basic idea of how the film would play out but not knowing the minor detail. In five years time when I'm still rewatching the film it's the fine detail that I'll be focusing but the basic idea plot.

I mean, fuck, I still saw the film 11 times mess in the cinema! 

A very tenacious fanboy snuck onto an exterior VIII set outside of London and took photos of himself wandering around. Mild spoilers in the link.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/star-wars-episode-8-on-set-images-reveal-millenniu/1100-6440080/?ftag=GSS-05-10aaa0a

• 1 month later...

I'm not complaining, but what compels an actress to have someone film her working out and post it online?

We now have confirmation there will not be a time jump between TFA and VIII:

http://makingstarwars.net/2016/07/star-wars-episode-viii-will-not-have-a-time-jump/

This had been assumed by many for a while. 

I wonder what will be in the crawl. Some have suggested that the trip to Ahch-To in TFA took a while so a lot happened in the galaxy. Others say they could just basically recap TFA, although that's not very interesting for a SW crawl.

It's an interesting question I hadn't really thought about...we've never seen a Star Wars film that picks up right where another left off...what do you put in the crawl?

I'm guessing part TFA recap, part introduction of characters/ideas/developments that weren't included in TFA.

I guess at least a few days passed after the destruction of Starkiller and Rey's journey to find Luke. The crawl will probably touch on the First Order regrouping, Kylo Ren travelling to Snoke to start his training, maybe some kind of new crisis Leia is dealing with at the Resistance base, Poe was sent off on another mission maybe?

But surely the third paragraph will refer specifically to Rey finding Luke to begin her training . . . .

48 minutes ago, Sharkus Malarkus said:

I just thought, maybe we're going to get the Dark Side equivalent of Luke's training on Dagobah?

That's certainly what we'll see. Rey and Kylo's training will parallel. 

The immediate start to VIII is strange to me, but I think there was enough time between Starkiller Base's destruction and Rey meeting Luke for there to be something to put in the crawl. Probably stuff about how the First Order is recuperating after their defeat and how the Resistance is trying to levy support from the New Republic. 

2 hours ago, Will said:

We now have confirmation there will not be a time jump between TFA and VIII:

http://makingstarwars.net/2016/07/star-wars-episode-viii-will-not-have-a-time-jump/

This had been assumed by many for a while. 

I wonder what will be in the crawl. Some have suggested that the trip to Ahch-To in TFA took a while so a lot happened in the galaxy. Others say they could just basically recap TFA, although that's not very interesting for a SW crawl.

So this will be the Quantum of Solace of SW?

I bet the first scene will involve the New Order, and then we'll cut to Rey and Luke, just like RotJ had at least a small scene involving the Empire before it got started telling the story of Han's rescue.

6 hours ago, Demodex said:

I bet the first scene will involve the New Order, and then we'll cut to Rey and Luke, just like RotJ had at least a small scene involving the Empire before it got started telling the story of Han's rescue.

Yes, that's likely, given that all SW films have started with a scene in space. 

4 hours ago, Shatner's Rug said:

Luke uses Pokémon GO as a training tool.

:lol: It's crazy how popular that game's become. I don't play it, but my cousin showed me how it works. The whole thing is kinda silly but I guess it gets people up and moving so...