Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (Rian Johnson 2017)

Dixon Hill

For me, there isn't a doubt that hiring Desplat for Rogue One is some sort of a "test" to see if its music is well received by the audience and fits with the movie. This way, if JW stops composing for the main saga, Desplat will take over. He's proven being capable at emulating JW style when that was necessary (HP7p1), while introducing his own style throughout HP7 p1&2.

• 1 month later...

FYI: Daisy's heard a title but imagines the official one isn't coming for awhile

“I heard a title, and I’m not sure if it’s going to be that. I really don’t know much about anything,” she said, trying to avoid the question. Then she added, “I have heard it, but I heard it a long time ago before we started filming. So I feel like some things have tweaked slightly during [production], but it’s going to be a while before it’s released, I’d imagine.”

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, I mean she definitely indicates that she'll be working on it and Maz will be in the film, but it's just interesting since she was part of TFA's production.

Maybe whatever they have her doing didn't really require her interacting with the others as much, or she has to do more running around so they had a size double on set and Lupita will do everything on the mocap stage, as opposed to 7 where she could just as easily do the scenes right there sitting down with the actors.

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely a spoiler.

In the same way that spilling Vader in Rogue One would have been a spoiler, up to the date it was officially confirmed and advertised.

WITH THAT SAID, this report is likely fabricated.  It's "Inverse dot com" quoting "a Reddit user" about a conversation that breaks any number of nondisclosure agreements, and which allegedly happened at Celebration Europe (two months ago) yet somehow hasn't been revealed until now.

I'd rate this character's return as "likely," and in the exact form they're talking about.  But there's nothing in this report that actually seems valid.

How is knowing Yoda is in the film a spoiler, but knowing that Maz,  Nien Nunb, Ackbar, or Phasma isn't?  What's the difference?

Well, Maz and Phasma have been officially announced, for one thing.  A really easy line to draw - if it's been on StarWars.com or an official interview with known cast/crew, it's not a spoiler.  If it's from "leaks" or dumb Reddit rumors, it's either not supposed to be out there or not true.

Yoda appeared as a Force Ghost at the end of ROTJ.  Of course he could show up as a Force Ghost again in episodes 7, 8, 9, etc.  Big deal.

I'm trying to go into Episode VIII knowing as little as is humanly possible for a nerdy person who spends a lot of time on the internet.  So the real answer is for me to stop checking this thread :P

Adios Episode VIII thread!  Until December 2017!

There are certain characters that are guaranteed to return, all of which have been confirmed on the official cast.  There are other characters who were not on that list, and whose returns indicate potential plot points. 

I think "plot points" is a reductivist way to look at spoilers anyway.  "Spoilers" is more about the experience, not just the brass tacks of the plot.  If it's something the filmmakers want to keep under wraps for the film experience, revealing it would in some way spoil that experience. Lucasfilm is VERY deliberate about what information they release prior to release date.

Yay they're remaking Empire! At least they're consistent after remaking ANH with Force Awakens. Hopefully Rey goes to train with Yoda's force ghost and faces Kylo Ren at the end who tells her that he's related to her. I can't wait for the second Starkiller base in Episode 9 as well!

25 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

Yay they're remaking Empire! At least they're consistent after remaking ANH with Force Awakens. Hopefully Rey goes to train with Yoda's force ghost and faces Kylo Ren at the end who tells her that he's related to her. I can't wait for the second Starkiller base in Episode 9 as well!

I think the only appropriate response there is....

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4 hours ago, Jay said:

I assume the first trailer for this will be attached to Rogue One?  Or will there be one before then?

I'm not really expecting anything before December, they'll want to keep the hype focused on Rogue One. Especially because there are probably too many people who still think Episode VIII is coming out this year lol.

I think it'll either be with Rogue One or if not maybe the Super Bowl. The next Star Wars Celebration isn't until April, not sure if they'd wait that long to put out the first teaser.

On 9/29/2016 at 4:14 PM, mrbellamy said:

I'm not really expecting anything before December, they'll want to keep the hype focused on Rogue One. Especially because there are probably too many people who still think Episode VIII is coming out this year lol.

I think it'll either be with Rogue One or if not maybe the Super Bowl. The next Star Wars Celebration isn't until April, not sure if they'd wait that long to put out the first teaser.

Not the Super Bowl, I wouldn't think. Idiotic marketing decision. Star Wars is an event by itself. It would be overshadowed by all the other commercials and the game. Better to introduce it when it gets the whole spotlight to itself. 

And yes, I'd be very surprised if we get anything before December. Probably they'll release it a little after the initial Episode 8 release buzz has died down. Maybe early January. Or they might even wait till Celebration. I mean, the RO first teaser didn't come out until around that distance from the film's release, right?

• 3 weeks later...

My number one hope for her parentage is that she is honestly an original character not related to any known characters from before.

That would be far more original to me than her being Kylo Ren's sister or Luke's daughter or whatever.

I don't think that's a very solid confirmation...just a vague skirting of the question.

Two ways you can read it, could mean "We will find out about her parents in 8 next year" or "We'll just have to wait and see if it's revealed in 8 next year."

But I agree with Pieter that I'm kinda hoping she's a nobody.

1 hour ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

My number one hope for her parentage is that she is honestly an original character not related to any known characters from before.

That would be far more original to me than her being Kylo Ren's sister or Luke's daughter or whatever.

Yeah the way SW cultists just assumed she was Luke's daughter after seeing TFA was hysterical. It was no longer just a theory to them, "it's a plain fact!"