Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (Rian Johnson 2017)

Dixon Hill

2 hours ago, Jay said:

A coworker just rushed in excited to show me this

CxV2RdQVEAAAyj1.jpg (509×720)

I hadn't seen it before so looked it up and of course its a fake

You had to look it up to see it was fake? I'd have thought the awful photoshopping would've been enough. Luke's hand looks like the Terminator's, and Rey's is clipped straight from the film. Plus the whole weird E.T. vibe.

No no no, he walked in with his phone in his hand and showed me some blurry image on that.  So I googled to see if a new poster had been released today and of course it hadn't, then found the same image he showed me just to share it here in case anyone liked it.

On 3/1/2017 at 6:24 AM, petaQ said:

Maybe he feels that when he was a Jedi, he never owned Artoo. He was just a tool, company property, first of the Naboo then the Jedi, before passing to the Rebel Alliance with Jimmy Smits. He never belonged to Kenobi. 

R2 was property of Anakin, anyway.

I just read that some key scenes between Leia and Ben where maybe already shoot for episode IX.

So I'll bet they will go CG... After all, they don't have much talent than that to rewrite the scripts in a hurry... and get rid of such a key character.

1 minute ago, Bespin said:

I just read that some key scenes between Leia and Ben where already shoot for episode IX.

So I'll bet they will go CG... After all, they don't have much talent than that to rewrite the scripts in a hurry... and get rid of such a key character.

If they create a Leia performance in CG for Episode IX, I seriously will not see it.

3 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

They have plenty of time to do rewrites. If Fisher had a substantial role in Ep 9 its very unlikely they will just go CGI. 

I didn't wrote they don't have time, I wrote they don't have the talent.

Geez, did you see the same episode 7 as me?

2 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

The more I think about it, the less I like this "Let's make CG versions of dead actors" thing, as it basically means "What's important is not the actor's performance, it's his/her face!". And then of course you're using someone's face without his/her consent...

Ugh...

Well, I hope when they do that, that they ask the family (ask = send money)... it's the base.

4 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Yeah, like that stopped them from using Cushing's face in Rogue One!

Oh, but, yeah, right, some estate gave the permission, so it's all fine...

Welcome to the future, where your face isn't yours anymore!

Actually rather interesting because I was just reading Next by Michael Crichton. Great book. Fiction but deals with modern moral and legal genetics issues (gene patenting, etc.)

13 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Welcome to the future, where your face isn't yours anymore!

They do it since many years now in the musical domain.

Personally, I think it's okay when it's plausible... Charles Aznavour recording a virtual duet with Édith Piaf... plausible. The Red Army Choir recording a virtual duet with Joe Dassin, I pass.

Peter Cushing in a Star Wars movie, okay. Peter Cushing in the next Jurassic Park, as a new dino, I pass.

Oh, boy ... so they did have Leia surviving Ep. 8 -- and with seemingly a large role planned in 9! Total nightmare for Lucasfilm. 

3 minutes ago, Will said:

Oh, boy ... so they did have Leia surviving Ep. 8 -- and with seemingly a large role planned in 9! Total nightmare for Lucasfilm. 

Only a nightmare in your mind.

Trust the experts.

Résultats de recherche d'images pour « computer geek »

I think there may be an opening, though, based on what very little I know about 8's plot, to reshoot some things and use some CGI to have Leia off in "retirement" due to injury or something by the end of the film. Maybe give her an off-into-the-sunset kind of moment that's sort of a proper goodbye. It would be very difficult, I'm sure, though ... and this late... 

And then in 9 say she passed away, and have some of Leia's friends look at a picture of her and say "I miss her" or something, kind of like how that dealt with Nimoy in Beyond IIRC. 

I was thinking at first that they should kill off the character on screen, but that might not be appropriate. Giving a "second death."

1 minute ago, BloodBoal said:

And how do you know Joe Dassin would have not wanted to do a duet with the Red Army Choir?

Blood, we "know" these things!

They had a different Spock in Beyond though, so you can't really compare.

But yes they will probably write her out.

Its very unlikely they will replace her with CGI, since it's very tricky and expensive technically, they probably aren't legally allowed too and they are real issues of a moral nature.

Recasting an iconic character is also tricky. Especially when the actress returned to the role a few years earlier. Possible, but I doubt it.

I wish they had this technology when making Prisoner of Azkaban.

The new actor they took for Dumbledore ruined all my interest for the series. Then for the next episode, they changed the composer.

The end of the world, you say?

Don't ask why Daniel Radcliffe started to drink!

Ok.

Also, the biggest reason they are safest to opt for writing Leia out is that Disney/Lucasfilm comes away from it maintaining the moral high ground.

Even if the rewrite is a bit clumsy and awkward, what other choice did they have? You can't replace an icon?

12 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

They had a different Spock in Beyond though, so you can't really compare.

But yes they will probably write her out.

Its very unlikely they will replace her with CGI, since it's very tricky and expensive technically, they probably aren't legally allowed too and they are real issues of a moral nature.

Recasting an iconic character is also tricky. Especially when the actress returned to the role a few years earlier. Possible, but I doubt it.

But what do they do in eight!

I feel like people won't be happy if Leia is as good as ever at the end and suddenly in nine they say "She died!"

Maybe they need to use a little CGI plus reshoots in eight to make her scenes a tad more sentimental, foreshadowing the death. 

4 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I wonder.

We have only ever seen Force Ghosts in the OT.

Seriously, we now know, thanks to the Clone Wars animated series, that it's only accessible to a very well-trained and pure Jedi.

I'm sure Luke will become one in the next episodes.

7 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I don't know that at all. Don't watch cartoons.

I don't either! But I just watched the three episodes that explained how Yoda did his training to gain this ability.

4 minutes ago, Demodex said:

How did Anakin do it?

He didn't disapeared when dying on screen. I think the official explanation is that he was "taken" or "retrieved" after his death by Yoda and Ben. After all, Anakin is the son of the Force itself, so he can do whatever he wants!

I'm pretty sure the Force ghost is indeed only supposed to be available to the most well trained Jedi. But Leia does have the Force, and seems quite strong in it...

Well, that's Mark Hamill's web series....behind the scenes reel/tour would be cool, maybe he did something while they were filming.

Could be another prank, though. ;)

ETA: Somebody pointed out that Pop Culture Quest is at 7 episodes right now, making their next Episode 8. And there's technically no mention of Star Wars in the tweet besides the logo that just says "VIII" lol. It's definitely gotta be a joke.