Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (Rian Johnson 2017)

Dixon Hill

1 minute ago, Quintus said:

Great title, simple and perfect. 

And I can't believe nobody has moaned about the red font yet. Well done, you're all growing. 

That's because it's already canon! ;)

1983-star-wars-return-of-the-jedi-movie-

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Star Wars is a fairy tale, period!

Not all Fairy Tales end "happily ever after."  In fact, most of the original ones do not. 

35 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

The New Republic has the same function as the Old Republic in SW. The First Order = The Empire. The Resistance = The Rebel Alliance.

Simple as that. Your questions aren't even relevant.

The film does not explain what the Resistance is and what it its relation to the republic. You have to read books for that.

They should have done Republic vs 1st order and that's it.

It's not neccessary.

They Rebel against the ruling goverment who deposed the old republic.

Now the resistance is resisting the small(?) crumbles of the Empire while the main goverment, from which the resistance has sprouted, does nothing for no explained reason. (in the film)

2 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Now the resistance is resisting the small(?) crumbles of the Empire while the main goverment, from which the resistance has sprouted, does nothing for no explained reason. (in the film)

I always assumed that, like the Old Republic pre-Clones, the New Republic was not allowed to officially have an army so instead they secretly funded the Resistance.

I also didn't think it especially mattered while watching the film.  Here are the fascists, here are the heroes....yup.

Just about jumped through the roof when I saw there was a title. 

The actual title disappointed me a little. I love The Force Awakens, and perhaps I'll eventually like this one just as much, who knows.

The red isn't very pleasing to the eye, but I just realized that it might have some sort of symbolic darkness importance(?), and most of all I'm glad they're changing up the color scheme.

As a side note I noticed some criticism here of TFA not explaining background properly. I think that the Republic wasn't well explained, making the Starkiller scene less powerful than it could have been, but I thought in general the explanation was probably sufficient, and I'm glad that the Ren attack stuff was left in flashbacks. Very mysterious and made great discussion.

I don't think I've ever been immediately blown away by a Star Wars episode title, and the trend continues today, but I'm cool with it. Definitely excited for the film itself!

As for the New Republic issue, the only problem was making a whole scene about its destruction. That thrust its dissolution into the foreground, whereas the Old Republic was just mentioned in a throwaway line in ANH. With no understanding of or connection to the New Republic, its explicit destruction felt...weird. You could argue that the same thing happened with Alderaan, except there we were at least seeing it through Leia's eyes. She was losing her home, which is something you can immediately empathize with.

Yes, in the moment it's actually rather powerful, with the terrified screams and Williams' powerful but restrained score. But when you look back on it it wasn't that great. 

Kinda surreal to think we now have our abbreviation that we'll be using non-stop for the next year!

TLW ... I mean TLJ

Better get used to it. 

Oh, and bring on a teaser! 

If we're lucky, maybe, just maybe, we'll get something during the Super Bowl. More likely, though, is SW Celebration. Or even just some random day. 

I'm the only one bothered with EP VIII beginning shot, that is completely sun bathed light while the force awakens ending is cloudy light?

Couldnt just re-use the same scene?

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I always assumed that, like the Old Republic pre-Clones, the New Republic was not allowed to officially have an army so instead they secretly funded the Resistance.

Pharaphrasing Padme...you are assuming too much.

You really did not heard when it is stated in the film that the starkiller obliterated the whole New republic's FLEET when it destroyed the planet?

While I don't disagree and to be honest at the moment I do find the title to be a little lacking ....well, I suppose that I was expecting the middle film to have four words.

I don't recall any of the other films having titles that were difficult to digest though and none of them ever came close to being risque or offensive.

I like this title. Simple and with a bit of mystique about it. That being said, I think "The Jedi Steps" would have been a cool and possibly befitting title. That's just me, though. 

4 hours ago, Will said:

If we're lucky, maybe, just maybe, we'll get something during the Super Bowl. More likely, though, is SW Celebration. Or even just some random day. 

Well, with TFA we got the trailer about 2 weeks after the title was revealed. We got Episode VIII's title today and the Super Bowl is in about 2 weeks so ya never know... 

I like the title and the red font. All I really care about is that this is more John Williams music that' I'm going to get to have spinning around in my head for the rest of my life and now I know what I'm going to be calling it. 

Also for some reason one of the first things I thought was that the acronym is the same as Tommy Lee Jones....just fyi...

1 hour ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

I like this title. Simple and with a bit of mystique about it. That being said, I think "The Jedi Steps" would have been a cool and possibly befitting title. That's just me, though. 

Well, with TFA we got the trailer about 2 weeks after the title was revealed. We got Episode VIII's title today and the Super Bowl is in about 2 weeks so ya never know... 

Yeah, a Polygon article I saw pointed that out too. Fingers crossed!

58 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

All I really care about is that this is more John Williams music that' I'm going to get to have spinning around in my head for the rest of my life and now I know what I'm going to be calling it.

Yep. Exactly my thoughts!

Man, it is so surreal to go to Wikipedia and see this title. Can't get over it. Almost feels like a prank, like some sort of fan film! I assume it will take a while to get used to. 

I'm disappointed it doesn't have five syllables. It feels like something is missing, and the words hardly roll off the tongue. Poor poetry.

27 minutes ago, Miz said:

I'm disappointed it doesn't have five syllables. It feels like something is missing, and the words hardly roll off the tongue. Poor poetry.

It reuses the word Jedi, too. Previously in 7 titles they haven't reused a key Star Wars noun in a subsequent film title. Phantom, Clones, Sith, Empire, Jedi, Force.

But I'm okay with that if the central focus of the film is Luke and Rey's story. No point having 'Dark Side', 'Resistance' or 'First Order' in the title if they aren't really the thematic focus.

OMG I'm getting rusty, my brother had to point me this out:

THE NOVELIZATION FROM THE FILM HAS LEAKED:

The_Last_Jedi.jpg

And also the junior novelization series:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/The_Last_of_the_Jedi

How original they are... :P

They allegedlly were going to call TFA as "Shadow of the Empire" but didnt...because it was to close to "shadows of the empire"... u suppose that the people in charge of this was sleeping through the film's baptism...