Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (Rian Johnson 2017)

Dixon Hill

9 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Will, I think you should read this article from when The Force Awakens came out:

http://screencrush.com/star-wars-force-awakens-false-rumors/

And note how often the sites you keep linking to come up.

This article is a little misleading. It classifies everything that didn't end up in the final film 100% as reported as "completely false" (partially because they wrote the article before many of the interviews talking about cut scenes came out that validated a lot of the reporting). For instance, of the 18 SWNN and MSW reports cited here as "completely false," five offer information on cut scenes, many which related very closely to material in the final film, and at least one comes from concept art that I have seen in the art book. There are also several instances where what's reported is largely correct. Further, the article lists separate sentences from the same story as multiple points, and also credits rumors to SWNN where in fact SWNN was merely quoting 4Chan, and SWNN even stated that they had "reason to believe the info was false." 

In any case, though, I do see your point. :P

Yes, perhaps I am putting too much weight into spoilers. It's possible that even if, like much of the stuff on the ScreenCrush list, the reporting isn't necessarily "completely false," it may be based on concept art or other unreliable indicators of what's in the final film. Or maybe it is just total BS, who knows. I guess I shouldn't get my hopes up too much. It's just hard not to! :lol:

"Wild reporting" definitely did happen on TFA, for example with reports of Luke turning bad that were based on "blue sky" concept art where the artists draw a lot of random stuff. 

That's complete assumption from whoever @GoSoundtracks is.  That wasn't posted on Star Wars' Twitter, and nobody on "Star Wars Twitter" is talking about a trailer announcement.

It's a safe assumption, though.  I think it would be a real shock if there WASN'T a trailer.

I doubt they're going to officially confirm the trailer showing at Celebration beforehand. They're going to want to save it as a "surprise" but there's really no way they're not debuting it with Kennedy, Johnson, and the cast assembled in front of the most rabid SW fans imaginable.

I wonder if any Williams score from the sessions will be used in the trailer, ala The Jedi Steps or Anakin's Betrayal?

I doubt he wrote any music specifically for the TLJ trailers after the rumours about TFA's second trailer.

I think TFA's first teaser was sort of a special case. Rogue One waited until April which was also when we got the first longer TFA trailer, so I guess that's the marketing pattern now.

There are a handful of set photos out there, from paparazzi and random stuff that Rian Johnson puts on Instagram. There was that shot of the "Last Jedi" title in the crawl from the editing bay.

I don't remember getting too much more about TFA at this point, but I might be wrong. I feel like the first official info we got about the story and characters was the Star Wars Celebration panel. I don't recall any production videos, really.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

I wonder if any Williams score from the sessions will be used in the trailer, ala The Jedi Steps or Anakin's Betrayal?

Wow I just took a quick look at a few ROTS spots on YouTube, and I every single one I saw was partially or wholly scored with some of JW's film score! Man, times have really changed. 

I actually love how many trailers have music written specifically for them. Whether Williams or not. That can make some really, really well done trailers. 

But it robs us of the chance to hear little score snippets... (Well, maybe that's good though so it's a surprise)

5 hours ago, Will said:

I actually love how many trailers have music written specifically for them. Whether Williams or not. That can make some really, really well done trailers. 

47 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Most trailers don't, actually.

They certainly don't! BACKDRAFT in the TLW trailer?!

The funniest trailer-music, is the cut-'n'-paste ST:TMP trailer. Bananas!

My favourite JW trailer music, is A.I., and 1941.

33 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

My statement still stands, even with those. Apart from Episode VII, none of the previous SW films had music written specifically for their trailers.

Well, mine still stands to. ;)

I was referring to Disney-era SW trailers, which are the only ones that have been made during the time I've been a fan.

Yes, I have seen a few from before that and I did notice they repurposed JW stuff. 

I remember when they used The Forest Battle for the final AOTC trailer, a friend of mine was excited that they'd used "new John Williams music", but it was just that he didn't recognise that piece from ROTJ because he never owned the soundtrack. He was upset when I told him it was existing music.

3 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

So when you said...

You were only referring to Episode VII?

No, I was referring to Episode VII and Rogue One's trailers and TV spots, plus the Episode VIII production announcement. 

I do get how some might have implied that I was only discussing Williams-scored films though. 

It turns out there were more tweets before that one I posted earlier that offer some context for the statement.

Here they are in order, these tweets occurring right after the story about the walkers was published:

Now, finally, the tweet I originally linked to:

Then:

I'm fairly certain I know what part of the film Ward is referring to when he talks about "high fashion" and "Game of Thrones": 

Spoiler

The Dubrovnik city planet segment with the reported funeral or gathering of some sort. 

Traditionally the 2nd film in each saga, if they follow the template, features an extended action sequence in the first act (Chase through Coruscant, Battle of Hoth). I'm sure this film will be no different.