Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (Rian Johnson 2017)

Dixon Hill

8 hours ago, Alex said:

So has he seen the film? Or a trailer? Or what?

I don't know. Ward is very, very reliable, so he's definitely basing it off real info and not just making stuff up.

However, it's likely that these comments are based on set photos and concept art rather than completed film shots.

He also may well also be referring only to a part of the film with the GOT comment.

I doubt he's seen a trailer yet, although you never know. 

I've followed the site for a while and I have a fairly good sense of how he works, although obviously I'm ultimately just speculating and could be wrong.

3 hours ago, crumbs said:

Well, sounds pretty inspired nonetheless. I'm even more excited to hear what Williams came up with, if he was really excited by the film.

Ward does tend to be very optimistic, just so you know. 

Well, thought I may as well post this here. 

Disney presentation starts in four minutes. 

As you can see here, the panel will be focused on a screening of the new POTC, but...

Since getting our hopes up for no real reason is what we do, I have to say I'm really hoping we'll get something new from TLJ tonight. Fingers crossed. ;)

Again, however, I reiterate that there is absolutely no evidence for a teaser being released tonight, thus far. It's just hope. Further, a Variety article said that companies tend to show trailers that have already premiered rather than new stuff, and that Disney likes to wait for D23 (and in this case, obviously also SW Celebration). However, I also just saw that Sony premiered a new Blade Runner trailer, as a complete surprise, at the event yesterday: http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/blade-runner-2049-cinemacon-new-footage-ryan-gosling-harrison-ford-denis-villeneuve-a7653311.html (it hasn't been made available publicly however). 

EDIT: Oh, I figured this, but it would be disappointing. Still hoping for TLJ footage to be shown though so descriptions can leak.

1 hour ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Hardly a spoiler for anyone who has seen TFA. 

Not a film spoiler - more of a trailer spoiler. If people want to watch the trailer "fresh," I don't want to spoil that, and these shots could well be in the trailer, and could make up a fairly large section if it's short.

3 hours ago, Alex said:

I don't understand at how anyone at Making Star Wars can possibly enjoy any new Star Wars films given how much info they try and find out before their release 

I know Jason and Amanda and I can assure you they enjoy new Star Wars films as much as if not more than anyone on this board. 

5 hours ago, Alex said:

I don't understand at how anyone at Making Star Wars can possibly enjoy any new Star Wars films given how much info they try and find out before their release 

There have been various studies done that have come to the conclusion that spoilers help our viewing experience and various studies have said the opposite.

But none of those studies have addressed the specific type of spoilers that we get from MSW (and, in some cases, other sites).

With MSW, it's not about just waiting until close to release and reading the whole plot summary. That would be no fun (and that was only possible on TFA - a film in which I barely read spoilers anyway; there have been way fewer spoilers for Rogue One and TLJ, when I have been a regular MSW reader, meaning that we don't really get the arc of the plot and certainly not anything like major character deaths from spoilers, just scattered background on specific characters, details on particular vehicles, description of a random scene with no context, etc.) 

Rather, it's like a puzzle. The details come together over the years and months, slowly. Each piece allows us to imagine what the other pieces are, which is really fun. And when we finally see the film, we notice the pieces in their appropriate context, and we can be like, Wow, I remember that! The other help is that you have thought about those bits of info beforehand so the film doesn't live you super-confused and dazed like a SW film with its often complex plot can - some things are familiar.  In the case of TFA, you actually also got a bit of a window into the film's development as well - MSW had so much info that they started early with concept art and as filming started were able to get the call sheets and piece things together into an essentially complete plot, still with a bit of error however (such as assuming Hosnian Prime and Takodana were the same planet, IIRC), as this was still a case of them and the readers having to "put together the puzzle."

Further, as I said, at this point, since Disney has clamped down on leaks, it's not like we're learning the true plot of the films or anything - for Rogue One, most of the info MSW had was revealed in the trailers! TLJ has been a bit of a scattered mess too. We know some info on the various planets and some basic premise of who lives/works there but we don't really know the plot, essentially, except for a few big points, albeit without some important context, relating to the first act. This allows us to have some fun imagining and anticipating without spoiling the ending or anything quite that big (although obviously there will be some surprises lost on release day). 

At least as of now I gladly trade these puzzle pieces to add to the fun over the months before release for a bit of lost surprise (or, in a few cases, even suspense - and perhaps spoilers will get even bigger as we get closer, who knows, that just didn't happen for RO) for TLJ. 

20 minutes ago, Will said:

There have been various studies done that have come to the conclusion that spoilers help our viewing experience and various studies have said the opposite.

There are actually studies on that?!? :lol:

It seems like a very simple situation to me: Some people enjoy the spoilers and some people enjoy the surprise of not knowing anything in advance.

In the end, both "sides" end up enjoying things their own way. That's completely fair enough by me! :D

33 minutes ago, Alex said:

Fair enough, I guess I'm not too fussed about finding out lots of stuff about the film. 

Yeah, if you're not a crazed fan like me there's no point spending time before the film reading about the film. 

However I would sell my soul for a leak of even just a note of the score.

Haha yeah I'd take even a report on the score. MSW did a couple during TFA but hasn't done any since, unfortunately. 

Force for Change stuff. Daisy with her hair down is...nice....

swffcfty85785742.jpg

swffcfty85785743.jpg

1 hour ago, Will said:

Haha yeah I'd take even a report on the score. MSW did a couple during TFA but hasn't done any since, unfortunately. 

I was already trying to stay skeptical of the TFA score report and seeing how that turned out to be pretty inaccurate, I'll be extra wary with anything music-related this time around since MSW was pretty inaccurate on that. They may be good with basic, plotty scoops ("this happens, that happens"), but the articles I've read seem like they speculate a lot on details. Plus music is harder to describe than anything else they might get their hands on, anyway, especially if their source is somebody who might call the Force Theme "Luke's Theme" and wouldn't know a trumpet from a French horn.

48 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

I was already trying to stay skeptical of the TFA score report and seeing how that turned out to be pretty inaccurate, I'll be extra wary with anything music-related this time around since MSW was pretty inaccurate on that. They may be good with basic, plotty scoops ("this happens, that happens"), but the articles I've read seem like they speculate a lot on details. Plus music is harder to describe than anything else they might get their hands on, anyway, especially if their source is somebody who might call the Force Theme "Luke's Theme" and wouldn't know a trumpet from a French horn.

Yeah that report does seem to have been perhaps based on someone who misinterpreted info. They did publish a few photos as well as that "the First Order march" would be played during the parade grounds scene, which was essentially correct. But they had a bizarre report that there was an "operatic piece with sustained lyrics, connected to the snow planet" (perhaps a misinterpretation of "The Starkiller"?) And also that there was a swing/big band piece recorded, which doesn't line up with anything I've heard of (the Miranda source stuff came much later, I believe, so I don't think it could have been that). 

They do speculate a little, but usually they make it clear when they're speculating. It seems like that TFA score report might just be a rare debacle where either they had a non-legitimate source, or they had a source who misinterpreted info, or heard things second-hand from another person, etc. Their recent report on the OT original cuts being re-released in some way this year also were essentially debunked by Pablo Hidalgo on Twitter (or at least he said that he hadn't heard anything about a re-release) so that one could also be off base.

Generally though their TFA and Rogue One info seems to have panned out quite well. 

I've been reading some stuff on Return of the Jedi, to see what direction people think this film will go in, and noticed that people automatically assume that Luke is the Jedi returning...so therefore going from the Return of the Jedi to The Last Jedi is strange.

Is that how people see it? That Luke is the returning Jedi? I've always thought that Vader was the returning Jedi. Luke was never a Jedi before, so he can't return to being a Jedi, and also if it's meant to be plural, then Luke is the only Jedi after ROTJ, so it can't be plural. I've always assumed it was obviously Anakin returning.

What?

Luke was the returning Jedi. They even killed off Yoda so Luke would be the last one. 

By becoming a fully trained Jedi, as stated by Yoda in dialogue, and actively fighting Vader and The Emperor rather then hiding away and biding their time like Obi-Wan and Yoda did the Jedi do indeed return.

Of course the film was originally titled Revenge Of The Jedi. 

Revenge of the Jedi can still mean Vader though. He returns to being Anakin, a Jedi, kills the Emperor and has his revenge. But as a singular Jedi, THE Jedi that the saga is about is Anakin. And him returning to being Anakin, the Jedi, at the end.

If Anakin is returning at the end of the 6 film saga (at the time) which was all about him becoming a Jedi, turning on them to become a Sith, and then redeeming himself at the end, it is a lot more powerful if he is the returning Jedi. Essentially 'The Return of Anakin.'

I find it obvious if Luke is the returning Jedi, considering Yoda and Obi-Wan were alive the entire time. So they were just stuck in traffic then? Or is when Obi-Wan faced Vader not returning as a jedi, was he just dropping by then?

Luke is the New Hope, Anakin is the Returning Jedi.

13 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

Luke is the New Hope, Anakin is the Returning Jedi.

In your opinion. And probably not according to those that actually made the film.

I believe in the earlier version of the script it turned out Vader had been lying and Anakin was still alive. Him being the "other" Yoda spoke of. If they had done that the title, being either Revenge or Return of the Jedi would have been applicable to Anakin also. As he would have returned to fight side by side with his son against Vader and the Emperor.

I think Lucas clearly meant at the time that Luke is bringing the Jedi back, both singular and plural. Luke is a Jedi that is bringing them back. But I think with the addition of the prequels, you can look at the 6 films as a whole and Anakin returning to defeat the empire and redeeming himself can be seen as THE Jedi (Anakin Skywalker) Returning. 

I have no problem how people interpret things, but I've always interpreted it as Vader returning to Anakin. I don't know why that is such blasphemy.

Another example is 'The King's Speech.' It can refer to the dramatic speech that the King gives, or the King's ability to speak. 

And which were changed during the making of the film, not something that Lucas came up with years later.

You seem to have problems understanding basic logic. Or do you have problems with it when someone has a different opinion?

You've attacked me before for not being a Gia fan. So maybe thats it?

Attacking you? Seriously? 

I literally just said this:

Just now, leeallen01 said:

I have no problem how people interpret things

And that I just interpret the title differently. Calm down.