Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (Rian Johnson 2017)

Dixon Hill

How does that change what I said?

people were used to the family saga so it took a bit of getting used to the fact that we were going to have films that don't connect to the family. 

It was mostiy idiots who thought thered there'd be a connection with Jyn mind.

But the whole Luke fathered Rey thing has been this fanbase assumption that's been dogmatically regarded as 'fact' by many people without any real proof, not really because they know it to be so, but because they want to be right.

I'd be disappointed if it was that predictable.

The whole "who's Rey's parents" thing was a bit astounding to me when TFA aired. Since everyone seemed to regard it as the central question for the character.

I didnt feel that way when I first watched it and I still dont.

Exactly! I'm more interested in what she will do. But a lot of people seem fixated on where she came from. Probably a symptom of being conditioned by multi franchise prequel mania that aims to explain everyone's background.

That's the problem with having that gibshite JJ in charge. She's probably nobody but he couldn't just say that in the film. He'd have to add in a load of bullshit misdirection that goes nowhere and pisses off the fan base when it concludes. 

1 hour ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

That's the problem with having that gibshite JJ in charge. She's probably nobody but he couldn't just say that in the film. He'd have to add in a load of bullshit misdirection that goes nowhere and pisses off the fan base when it concludes. 

He's no longer in charge though. But I wonder if the subsequent two eps can ignore it.

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

He's no longer in charge though. But I wonder if the subsequent two eps can ignore it.

Johnson did say in an interview yesterday that it'll be addressed.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

JJ did a great job actually.

I couldn't have done it. Man deserves credit for taking on a tough order: "yo, reboot Star Wars." 

He did a professional job. 

I was stuck at home sick yesterday, and for the first time ever watched several hours of the Star Wars celebration live stream.

Is it just me, or does anyone else find most of it mind numbing?  The more high profile panels I guess are interesting enough, but most of it is trying to sell some Star Wars product or another, accompanied by banal banter by the hosts and whoever it is they're interviewing, accompanied by endless loops of JW's music. I'm a fan, always have been, but it was all bit much.  And to me at least, hearing Williams music over and over (and only a handful of the most popular themes at that) set to screaming fans cheapens it to me. And Warwick Davis schtick, as endearing as it may be, grew old pretty quick.   The panel on female characters in Star Wars was excruciating, and if I heard "strong female character" and how Star Wars was for everyone one more time I was going to puke.

And George Lucas and Harrison for looked like they'd rather be anywhere but there.

I guess you have to take the good with the bad. I'm by and large happy with what Disney has done with Star Wars, and am actually glad they own the IP are doing something with it. But I'm definitely going to try to avoid any marketing and hype associated with Star Wars and stick to the films and music.  Watching this event, rather than make me excited, just sucks the magic out of the whole thing.

Yeah, maybe so. Like I said though, it's the first time I watched the live stream for any length of time. In the past I've just checked out clips of particular panels I found interesting.  Like I said, it was all just a bit much.

I think I liked Star Wars and LOTR better when I had them more to myself...before their cultural resurgence. :)

Why would you watch a Star Wars Celebration event and expect anything other than a Star Wars celebration.  Would you prefer they play Beethoven before the events and have various Star Trek actors give interviews? 

10 minutes ago, Tom said:

Why would you watch a Star Wars Celebration event and expect anything other than a Star Wars celebration.  Would you prefer they play Beethoven before the events and have various Star Trek actors give interviews? 

I believe you may have missed my point. In fact I'm certain of it.

1 hour ago, Nick1066 said:

I was stuck at home sick yesterday, and for the first time ever watched several hours of the Star Wars celebration live stream.

Is it just me, or does anyone else find most of it mind numbing?  

Oh, yes, you're not alone. I watched the entire 40 years of Star Wars panel and it was incredibly boring, if a little interesting (particularly I was interested in Lucas' comments given the somewhat tense relationship he's had at times with Disney, and the fans). Lots of old stories told.

Perhaps the most interesting moment was when Lucas took a delicious passive-aggressive shot at the fans haha. He was talking about how his favorite part of Star Wars was how it affected kids and other fans, and in the process said: "Now, some people aren't really very nice, but..." (paraphrasing)

17 hours ago, Bespin said:

Ridiculous, the french official title is "Les derniers Jedi", Jedi at plural.

There are three people on that poster : Luke, Kylo and Rey.

If we think about it twice... in episode VII, Luke IS indeed the Last Jedi (it's even written in the opening crawl).

But he'll certainly not be the last one at the end of Episode VIII...

So what's Johnson said was true, from a certain point of view.

3 hours ago, Hedwig said:

Anyone hear any comments about the score at any of the panels from celebration? 

Unfortunately I haven't seen any. Then again, I didn't watch most of the panels. 

13 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

That is reserved for JJ.

JW calls Johnson "kiddo".

During the sessions he repeatedly referred to him as "kitten."  It was weird.

8 hours ago, Will said:

Unfortunately I haven't seen any. Then again, I didn't watch most of the panels. 

Williams wasn't mentioned in the TLJ panel and Johnson hasn't been asked about him or brought up the music himself in any of the side interviews I've seen, or Twitter. Also I don't think Williams was interviewed despite being there in person.