Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (Rian Johnson 2017)

Dixon Hill

I'ts like poetry!

Anyway, should be noted the guy cheated: this is not the actual TFA trailer, it's edited, with some footage added and other removed.

But yeah, had noticed some of the similarities before (like Poe running towards the X-Wing that is blown up much like Rey and Finn were running towards the ship that is blown up), but there are others I missed.

But I guess it shows the saga is going in circles! Ruined my appreciation of the trailer. TLJ is ruined!

On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 1:19 PM, Disco Stu said:

These things have always been about fans paying for the privilege to be advertised to in person. Isn't it exciting?! Yay capitalism!

I think in a lot of ways, the panels are secondary to the rest of the experience (being in a place with likeminded fans, seeing cool costumes people made, meeting people you know from social media, etc) - more of a big hangout/party.  A celebration!  That's my experience with comic conventions, and I'm sure Star Wars Celebration is just a much more focused version of that.

I never got a kick out of being 10 feet away from this actor or this artist, and I don't really understand the photo ops/autographs stuff.  But I definitely see the value in going to things like this.

4 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

The only reason I'd want to go to such an event is to boo Hayden Christensen when he goes up on stage and throw tomatoes at him!

:o

2 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Not surprised. He's probably disgusted with Star Wars fans for life.

They're all the same... until they see the check.

"Hey, I was paid for that." - Harrison Ford about the Star Wars Asylum Convention 2017

1 minute ago, BloodBoal said:

Yeah, no. In this particular case, it's been pretty brutal.

If he'll survive to his 40s, I'll bet we'll see him on a SW convention one day...

Yeah all that is so disturbing to me, considering he was only 9 when he filmed TPM.  Like, Jesus people, he was just a kid, he couldn't possibly understand what was going on.  Everything wrong with that character and that performance is the fault of one adult man, George Lucas.

16 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

But ... isn't TPM the least bad Prequel?

For me ROTS, has too much bad playing and the key scenes are too theatrical to be a good movie (NOoooooo!!!).  The playing of McDiarmid is awefull from the begining to the end, he's doing too much.

Well yes, maybe TPM is the better one... but I was so disapointed by it's opening scene.... and the general portrayal of the Jedi.. in their supposed "golden age". I know from the opening scene (when the Jedi drink two empty cups, served by an unknown droid), that it's going to be bad.

The tone, the tone... we know it from the first scene of a movie.

Hello. I liked the trailer. But there's nothing really special or new being offered here it seems. I was hoping Johnson would finally break the Star Wars mould.

Cool hearing the music played around with. Was it Williams?

2 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Well yes, maybe TPM is the better one... but I was so disapointed by it's opening scene.... and the general portrayal of the Jedi.. in their supposed "golden age".

But ... it has has this scene!

phantom+menace.jpg

With Williams' brass being the centerpiece (or was it the double lightsaber, I don't remember)!

TPM has Jar Jar Binks, the awful "midichlorian concept" that forever screwed up the concept of the Force, Loyd and Best's bad acting, the total waste of Maul's character, too much cartoony CGI... need I go on?

Everything wrong with the prequels is capsulated in TPM. AOTC is slightly better, even with the creepy and unnatural romance, and ROTS is by far the best prequel; even though it's burdened with the occasional bad acting, especially from Christiansen and sometimes McDiarmid, there are some truly powerful moments in that film.

6 minutes ago, JohnSolo said:

TPM has Jar Jar Binks, the awful "midichlorian concept" that forever screwed up the concept of the Force, Loyd and Best's bad acting, the total waste of Maul's character, too much cartoony CGI... need I go on?

Everything wrong with the prequels is capsulated in TPM. AOTC is slightly better, even with the creepy and unnatural romance, and ROTS is by far the best prequel; even though it's burdened with the occasional bad acting, especially from Christiansen and sometimes McDiarmid, there are some truly powerful moments in that film.

Yes, Darth Maul wasn't the new Darth Vader but somehow he succeeded to be menacing anyway. 

zJ6Dhouh.jpg

The duels got more and more ridiculous in AOTC and ROTS.

1 minute ago, Alexcremers said:

Yes, Darth Maul wasn't the new Darth Vader but somehow he succeeded to be menacing anyway. 

Yes, his character is indeed menacing, but they completely undermined that fact when Lucas immediately killed him off in the first film of the prequel trilogy! Then they made the bad decision to bring him back in TCW, in which his character was extremely overused, and then they finally killed him off for good in SWR. I'm glad he's dead at last.

As corny as ROTS is, it has one important strength that the other two prequels lack and that's pacing. It manages to hold your attention from beginning to end, whereas it's easy to zone out during it's two predecessors.

31 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Darth Maul was by far the best thing about the Prequels. He really made the Dark Side look menacing.

I felt like we didn't know enough about him or what motivated him, that's for sure.  I'm sure there was some novel or comic that expanded his backstory, but I don't engage with the expanded universe.

I still have no idea who the fuck Syfo Diaz was.

I certainly think he was! What made his character so intriguing was how little we knew about him. He fully characterized the mysteriousness of the dark side.

And it was so stupid to just kill him at the beginning of III.  He was the most interesting thing about AOTC, and I thought we'd find out more about him and Lee would get more to do in III.  Ugh.

4 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

That was a big problem with the Prequels: Lucas' idea to have one villain for each episode, not giving him the opportunity to develop any of them. He should have stick to one for the whole trilogy.

In fairness to Lucas, Sidious/Palpatine was the main villain for all three movies, and had a good story arc as well.   

Yeah and Palpatine got exactly what I wish Dooku could've had.  A little background just so we kind of get an idea of his motivation ("UNLIMITED POWER") but still a very mysterious character.

Instead we got Grievous, the most dumb, awful wet fart of a villain in the history of science fiction.

Jumping back to the earlier convo about Jake Lloyd not appearing at Celebration:  If I recall correctly, he was hospitalized for Schizophrenia a year or two ago, so I doubt he has any plans for public appearances any time soon.

Just now, BloodBoal said:

Me too, actually. People are really optimistic regarding Johnson, it seems: "We can trust him! It's a guy who knows what he's doing! The editing will be over months before release! The music will be left untouched! Hurray!"

I wouldn't be so sure about that if I were them!

I certainly have a degree of trust in him as a storyteller based on his films.  But yeah, there's certainly no evidence that he has any particular reverence for the sanctity of a film score or anything.