Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (Rian Johnson 2017)

Dixon Hill

10 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

On porgs:

At the very least, he does realise there might be some measure of "Porg overkill" going on.

As far as I can tell from the marketing, it'll be pretty much "Porgs: The Movie"! :lol:

1 hour ago, Baby Jane Hudson said:

How would the Empire cope against the Borg?

The Enterprise or a Borg Cube would make pretty short work of a Star Destroyer.  Even a wimpy ship like Voyager under an incompetent like Janeway could take out a Super Star Destroyer.

And The Defiant could even take down the Death Star.

1 minute ago, Nick1066 said:

The Enterprise or a Borg Cube would make pretty short work of a Star Destroyer.  Even a wimpy ship like Voyager under an incompetent like Janeway could take out a Super Star Destroyer.

There are many very entertaining videos of Star Wars versus Star Trek in various guises and with various outcomes.

I've got no opinion on it as I enjoy both in their own ways.

So I just sit back and enjoy the mayhem whenever they get pitched against each other again for some reason.

"How Star Trek Should Have Ended" is particularly good.

Watch it if you haven't already! :lol:

People have been arguing phasers vs. lasers for decades. There are heroes on both sides claiming either universe would be invulnerable. The best argument for Star Wars winning is usually The Force and the best argument for Star Trek winning is transporter technology.

One of the dumbest show of Force ability in Star Wars is Darth Vader choking that guy from across the galaxy in Empire. Yeah, the one everyone claims is perfect. If Vader is that powerful, why doesn't he just choke everyone from other spaceships and end this shit?

I'm drunk, but I'm right.

9 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

One of the dumbest show of Force ability in Star Wars is Darth Vader choking that guy from across the galaxy in Empire. Yeah, the one everyone claims is perfect. If Vader is that powerful, why doesn't he just choke everyone from other spaceships and end this shit?

Which guy across the galaxy?  If you're talking about Admiral Ozzel, the guy he choked over the video screen, they were both on the same ship..... Ozzel was on the bridge and Vader was in his chambers.  Am I forgetting somebody else?

14 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

I doubt Vader is powerful enough to Force choke every Rebel pilot in every Rebel cruiser across the entire galaxy. If you go back far enough in Star Wars lore, Vader was actually one of the weaker Sith Lords. The only reason Vader was able to choke Admiral Ozzel was because they were traveling in the same convoy and Vader knew the exact location of his destroyer in the fleet. I highly doubt, even being a Force-sensitive, he could mentally track down every important Rebel officer in the galaxy and kill them instantly. Besides, I'm sure even Vader has the faintest amount of reverence for the rules of war.

14 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

I'm drunk, but I'm right.

stop it.gif

3 minutes ago, JohnSolo said:

Vader was actually one of the weaker Sith Lords.

B-b-but he has a Midichlorian count of over 20.000!

6 minutes ago, Holko said:

B-b-but he has a Midichlorian count of over 20.000!

Indeed. Even Master Yoda doesn't have a Midi-chlorian count that high.

To be honest with you, I've only just realized that the guy Vader kills for coming out of hyperspace too close was in command of the ship he was on. I think I confused him with the other guy he murders later, who was captain of a different ship. I also used to confuse the opening of ESB with the opening of E.T.

Do we know that for sure? Maybe Darth Sidious was checking his Midi-chlorians on the beach and determined they had mostly survived and they could go ahead with turning him into a robot?

7 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

Indeed. Even Master Yoda doesn't have a Midi-chlorian count that high.

In Star Wars mythology, thousands of years before the events of the OT, there were Sith Lords who had the power to teleport at will and destroy entire worlds with their minds. Vader, while he had a high midi-chlorian count as a Jedi (BTW, I despise the concept; completely ruined the mystical, spiritual aspect of the Force), he became substantially weaker after his duel with Obi-Wan and when he became a Sith. It is confirmed Star Wars lore that when a Force-sensitive being loses a limb or other bodily appendage, his/her ability to connect to the Force is greatly reduced.

12 minutes ago, JohnSolo said:

In Star Wars mythology, thousands of years before the events of the OT, there were Sith Lords who had the power to teleport at will and destroy entire worlds with their minds. 

I like of the EU, but not everything that is in it can be taken 100% seriously. Otherwise, we should expect no less from Luke in these episodes VIII and IX than the master capable of opening a black hole.

29 minutes ago, JohnSolo said:

In Star Wars mythology, thousands of years before the events of the OT, there were Sith Lords who had the power to teleport at will and destroy entire worlds with their minds. Vader, while he had a high midi-chlorian count as a Jedi (BTW, I despise the concept; completely ruined the mystical, spiritual aspect of the Force), he became substantially weaker after his duel with Obi-Wan and when he became a Sith. It is confirmed Star Wars lore that when a Force-sensitive being loses a limb or other bodily appendage, his/her ability to connect to the Force is not greatly reduced.

That first half of all of that is all Legends and not canon. 

Star Trek ships win out over Star Wars ships every time.  One word: Shields.  Star Destroyers can't even survive a pommeling by asteroids; a full spread of photon torpedoes would do the job nicely. The Starship Captain would simply order attack pattern delta and it would be all over before the Destroyer could launch a single TIE Fighter.

Starfleet vessels also a lot more maneuverable. I doubt a Star Destroyer could even target a Galaxy Class ship, which would fly rings around a cumbersome Executor class vessel with evasive maneuver omega 5.

That's true. That one Star Destroyer gets seemingly destroyed by a rogue asteroid in ESB. How many employees and how much money did they lose just because their idiotic robotic leader ordered these huge unmaneuverable vessels to fly right through the asteroid field. What?

As I recall, Picard piloted the Enterprise out of an asteroid field. Pretty impressive considering what an easy target the saucer section is.

All the ships in Star Trek are ridiculously overpowered. At least in Star Wars, while the ships are relatively weak when compared to the spacecraft of said series, at least it feels as though the characters are actually taking risks and putting their lives on the line when they step into the cockpit or bridge of a vehicle, whether it be a fighter or a destroyer.

19 minutes ago, JohnSolo said:

The characters of Star Trek are stiff, dull, and appear emotionally dead inside, especially the ones in ST:TNG. They all have the charisma of a used paper towel, and are about as relatable as a block of wood.

You mothafucka...

5 hours ago, JohnSolo said:

It is confirmed Star Wars lore that when a Force-sensitive being loses a limb or other bodily appendage, his/her ability to connect to the Force is greatly reduced.

Confirmed or not, that's ridiculous. The number of limbs you have effecting how powerful you are is just as dumb as the number of midichlorians you have effecting how powerful you are. If it's really a spiritual thing like you say, it should be about what's going on in your soul, not what condition your body is in.

3 hours ago, The Doctor said:

As I recall, Picard piloted the Enterprise out of an asteroid field. Pretty impressive considering what an easy target the saucer section is.

Except that despite what Star Wars taught us, crossing asteroid fields isn't that dangerous as the asteroids, at least in our solar system, are reallllllly far apart.

3 hours ago, JohnSolo said:

The characters of Star Trek are stiff, dull, and appear emotionally dead inside, especially the ones in ST:TNG. They all have the charisma of a used paper towel, and are about as relatable as a block of wood.

This is one of the biggest problems with Star Trek, I agree, and yet, Trek gets more crap for it than say, Star Wars Eps VI, I, II, III, The Clone Wars and half of the existing books...

7 hours ago, Baby Jane Hudson said:

Star Wars "lore"? "Myth"? Ray, has it ever occurred to you that those EU books aren't canon?

I’ve said it to him twice in this thread and I don’t think he care!

NO, they won’t! 

You think you’re some sort of Jedi waving your hand around like that? I’m a Toydaran, mind tricks don’t work on me!