Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (Rian Johnson 2017)

Dixon Hill

1 minute ago, Arpy said:

That's just nit-picking! I loved seeing real sand and real people in a real setting, it's one of the reasons I love TFA!

It's true, but they might as well shot it digitally and have the backgrounds and places crisp and not blurry… Considering all is scanned to add SFX, I don't see the point of filming on film rather than digitally for star wars. Except to please some people… Other than that I'm all for maximum real effect rather than digital ones.

10 minutes ago, toothless said:

This video explains the problem on TFA :

Need a translation please! :P But if he's using that godawful hallway scene from AOTC as an example of "good cinematography" just because it's "clean", he has no fucking clue about good cinematography.

4 minutes ago, toothless said:

Star wars is somehow better color graded than any other marvel film where the black value is more grey than black.

Oh the Marvel films are indeed flat and washed out, generic to the extreme. TFA had very deep, gorgeous blacks and was shot on film. So far as I know, Marvel shoot everything digitally (easier, faster and cheaper for their conveyor belt of mass-produced movies).

If by blurry you're referring to the depth of field, that's just an artistic decision that has nothing to do with the camera format. The focus is determined by the lens.

Just now, Disco Stu said:

I doubt the people who spend years working on a single one of these movies see it this way.

Their opinions are irrelevant compared to mine!

But yes, they have a secure income which I fully support. As long as the studio is continually investing in big budget films then a lot of people are staying employed. I don't really have a beef with Marvel... I reserve that for DC. ;)

I doubt the people who spend years working on a single one of these movies see it this way.

I don't think the question has ever been the competency of the thousands of artists and level of artistry, whose work should be commended. What we can question is the artistic choices/ corporate edicts made when creating these movies. 

I dunno, I've enjoyed pretty much every movie in the MCU to some extent, I don't mind that they aren't cinematic masterpieces and I think it's silly how they've become the big bad boogeymen for nerds on the internet.

To me they've successfully replicated how I feel when I read an actual Marvel comic book (which I don't anymore): nothing to get excited about but good fun.

It's one of those things where it seems like the people who don't like the movies spend more mental energy on the MCU than the people who just passively like them.

I have problems with the mass-marketing, corporate agenda that the MCU represents. I have enjoyed films within the MCU, Ragnarok and Dr. Strange most recently.

I'm a huge fan of the first two Raimi Spider-Man adaptations!

Just now, BloodBoal said:

I've been told by a film music scholar that it sounds very much like Williams, but in a very un-Williams way. Or, if you prefer, that it sounds very much un-Williams in a Williams way.

Mm.  *puffs pipe*

4 hours ago, The Doctor said:

When did everyone start calling commercials TV spots? When the DVDs called them that?

Maybe when studios started putting them on YouTube? It is kinda weird how it stuck.

I actually wasn't and am not expecting Luke to turn to the Dark Side. Its too obvious a path for Rian Johnson to tread. Although, to be fair, having him just become disinterested isn't that much more original or novel, either.

8 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

I actually wasn't and am not expecting Luke to turn to the Dark Side. Its too obvious a path for Rian Johnson to tread. Although, to be fair, having him just become disinterested isn't that much more original or novel, either.

In all fairness, at that level of generality, there is no original path: either Luke is good, bad, or indifferent. 

Very short new spot. Uses a snippet from Williams' ANH score. 

Speaking of Williams...

November 12 was the day we got the Jedi Steps spot in 2015. It's November 11 today. We'll see... ;)

I suppose at this point it's safe to assume that we won't be getting anymore full-length trailers, with the film being released in roughly a month.

18 minutes ago, JohnSolo said:

I suppose at this point it's safe to assume that we won't be getting anymore full-length trailers, with the film being released in roughly a month.

Oh, definitely, yeah. But we might still get a 60-second TV spot like with TFA. 

On 11/11/2017 at 5:09 PM, Will said:

November 12 was the day we got the Jedi Steps spot in 2015. It's November 11 today. We'll see... ;)

Well, it's not happening :(