Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (Rian Johnson 2017)

Dixon Hill

Short new TV spot:

Looks great!

Oh by the way the American Music Awards are this Sunday... ;)

They'll probably bring Pentatonix on again to butcher Williams' themes but hopefully we'll get a clip as well. 

Last time with TFA, they did indeed include portions of "The Falcon" with the new Star Tours. Though it wasn't like we could make out much of anything, anyway, so it was pretty useless. But unmistakable in retrospect, especially 3:22-29.

Managed to book my ticket for this. Seeing it on the 13th which could be an interesting experience because the score will probably not have been released yet.

I'm a little confused... I was looking at tickets and all my nearby theaters have showings December 14 during the evening hours.  I thought it opened December 15 in the US?  Is it normal for a movie to open the evening before the advertised release date?

Yes, in huge blockbuster movies, you'll traditionally see early showing spilling over into Thursday night.  I worked at a movie theater from 2001-2007, and I recall seeing it for the first time maybe around Spider-Man 2.  Not that it didn't happen before that, but that may have been my first experience with it.

We had taken off of work for the three Hobbit movies and The Force Awakens (and used the rest of the work day for Xmas shopping and lunch), but after maternity leave my spouse doesn't have a lot of time to frivolously take days off - so we're at the mercy of babysitting.  We'll be seeing it Saturday or Sunday morning, which is what we did with Rogue One.

Used to be that the first showings were always at midnight, often in multiple screens at once, and then regular times starting in the morning. But now in the last few years seems like all the shows start at 7 the night before release and they have start times for every hour, sometimes until 1 or 2 in the morning for the really big event stuff like Star Wars. I feel like I actually didn't really see that happening everywhere until after the Aurora shootings, but not sure if that's true. In general it's a definite improvement in terms of crowd dispersal.

Cineworld in Dublin is showing it in IMAX around the clock for the first day. You could sit in the one seat all day and just see the film on a loop. 

Haha, I completely forgot!  I didn’t even read the crawl tonight but I think I knew that at one point.

Unrelated: why does my iPhone keep autocorrecting ‘I’ to ‘I️’?  It’s weird.

16 minutes ago, Baby Jane Hudson said:

Look out for any hints in this movie as to what the title of the next one will be.

Star Wars Episode IX: Rey, I Am Your Father!

True. That movie is looong.

I've rewatched The Force Awakens lately and the credits are way longer than previous entries, so in terms of footage it will probably be shorter than that film.

Johnson tweeted about last night show in France :

You can watch the replay here (but there is nothing new… which is weird because this show usually makes great interviews…) :

https://www.tf1.fr/tmc/quotidien-avec-yann-barthes/videos/invite-rian-johnson-pere-de-star-wars-8.html

9 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Well, I guess if we ever get an expanded set, at least this film will probably require 3 discs.

TFA, yes. But we're yet to see any sign that JW's total music written for TLJ comes close to the film's runtime.

I'm predicting he spotted & wrote about 130 minutes of music and had less than 10-15 minutes worth of substantial alternates. Just something about Rian's process seems very confident and assured, unlike JJ's.

2 hours ago, Chen G. said:

True. That movie is looong.

I've rewatched The Force Awakens lately and the credits are way longer than previous entries, so in terms of footage it will probably be shorter than that film.

The credits on the TFA Bluray are actually much longer than they were theatrically, can't remember what they added but it's why they altered Williams's suite to include the full "Rey's Theme" piece as well as "Scherzo for X-Wings".

Attack of the Clones's credits are 6 and a half minutes which would make the film proper about 2 hours and 15 minutes. I assume Last Jedi's credits will be longer but I doubt they'll be 15 minutes so I think it will still end up being the longest either way, but just barely.

I don't think so. Theatrically, Rey's Theme was the abridged "Jedi Steps & Finale" version but on the Bluray it's the 3-minute theme track from the OST. The big complaint was that you lose that great high-octane version.