• Announcements

• Jay

Donate to JWFan, win a CD!   05/30/17

Hello!

We are significantly behind on our funds for keeping JWFan alive, and need to collect donations again.
      As an incentive, I am offering a series of free CDS to anyone who donates over a certain amount!   Donate at least $10 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $250 goal:   Tyler Bates - God of War; Ascension (OST, La La Land Records) Danny Elfman - Planet of the Apes (OST, Sony) Danny Elfman - Taking Woodstock (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Identity Thief (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Medal of Honor: Rising Sun (OST) Michael Giacchino - Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (OST, Varese Sarabande) Dave Holmes & Various - Ocean's 11 (OST, WB Records) Joel McNeely & Various - Hollywood '94 (Varese Sarabande) Joe Kraemer - Jack Reacher (OST, La La Land Records) John Williams - Born on the Fourth of July (OST, MCA Records)   Donate at least $20 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $500 goal:   John Barry - First Love (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - The Challenge (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - In Harm's Way (2009 Intrada edition) Jerry Goldsmith - The Red Pony (Varese) Alan Silvestri - Dutch (La La Land) Shirley Walker - Willard (La La Land) John Williams - Family Plot (Varese Sarabande) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $30 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $750 goal:   James Horner - Gorky Park (OOP Kritzerland Edition) James Newton Howard - Outbreak (2CD, Varese Deluxe Edition) Laurence Rosenthal - Clash of the Titans (2CD, Intrada) John Williams - The Fury (2CD, La La Land) John Williams - Jane Eyre (OOP, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $50 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $1,000 goal:   Jerry Fielding - The Wild Bunch (3CD, FSM) Ira Newborn - The Naked Gun trilogy (3CD, La La Land) Shirley Walker and Various - Batman: The Animated Series Volume 3 (4CD, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer     All shipping will be paid by me to anywhere in the world!   I will pull names from a hat for each pool, and you get to pick whatever CD set you want if I pull your name!   To be eligible, leave your JWFan username in the comments area of your donation.  If you want to donate but not be in the running for a free CD, mention that in the comment.   Use this link or the link on the mainpage.       Thank you!   Jason, Ricard, and Andreas.
TheGreyPilgrim

Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (Rian Johnson 2017)

2459 posts in this topic

Meh...

+1

Desplat for IX.

Now you are talking!

Great news!

Brick and The Brothers Bloom are excellent.

Oh god! The Brothers Bloom (film) is a genuine turkey*. Please!

*Or at least incredibly redundant.

Yeah. Rian showed promise with Brick but Bloom and Looper were both very underwhelming. Given a good script it could be good though.

Didn't he write Looper? I remember the actors in that movie talking about how ingenious the plot was. I suppose if you never watched sci-fi ever it might have seemed like it. As it is, it was an Outer Limits episode made with better actors. It concerns me that he is writing the next two movies.

He sure did! I saw it with my own two eyes! Wow! Luckily, I have a photographic memory!

I didn't despise Looper (first half was sorta okay) but in the end it left a sour taste in my mouth. I disliked the second half.

What else can we expect from someone who used to call himself Prometheus, the worst film in modern times!

To give Sharky some credit, I think he called himself Prometheus before the movie was made. When he finally saw the movie, he changed his name. It was the proper thing to do.

What else can we expect from someone who used to call himself Prometheus, the worst film in modern times!

Before the title was even announced! Are you suggesting I had inside information?

Edit: Alex - thank you.

You did not change it after the film turned out to be awful, though.

Didn't he write Looper? I remember the actors in that movie talking about how ingenious the plot was. I suppose if you never watched sci-fi ever it might have seemed like it. As it is, it was an Outer Limits episode made with better actors. It concerns me that he is writing the next two movies.

You're misremembering. They were talking about how ridiculous the plot was.

Best of luck to Brian Jackson with STAR WARS XXX. I'm sure he'll do great.

Actually, the film's brilliant already.

Fantastic news. I've officially become more excited for Episode VIII than VII.

Best of luck to Brian Jackson with STAR WARS XXX. I'm sure he'll do great.

Actually, the film's brilliant already.

Will he top Abraham J. Jameson's effort?

To give Sharky some credit, I think he called himself Prometheus before the movie was made. When he finally saw the movie, he changed his name. It was the proper thing to do.

It was an existing Greek tragedy. Way before your mate Wrinkly Scott used it for some B-movie.

It was an existing Greek tragedy. Way before your mate Wrinkly Scott used it for some B-movie.

A B-movie with the ridiculous budget. Talking about B-movies, I think a Prometheus by Paul W.S. Anderson would've been more fun.

Sharky likes this

Would have definitely have been less pretentious, more visually impressive, and would have made better use of its female protagonist.

He already made Prometheus, it's called Alien vs Predator.

Ridley Scott once had a good reputation when it comes to creating strong female protagonists. I was surprised the one of Prometheus didn't deliver.

Maybe Alex is talking about THELMA AND LOUISE or GI JANE.

PWSA botched a lot of existing canon and the predators were less than stellar, but it was still a fun movie.

It feels weird for me to have to point it out but Ripley in Alien was a strong yet realistic protagonist. Maybe not really noticeable for the average JWfanner, but at least it had a major impact on someone like James Cameron or Alfonso Cuaron (before Ripley, space was a typical man's game). Thelma and Louise, a feminist road movie, was a game changer as well.

I don't know what it is Scott tried to achieve with Prometheus but he didn't succeed on any level, IMO. I only like one little shot in the entire movie.

Alex

You don't have to point out Alien Alex. That was the "once" I was referring to.

Hmmm Alien Alex. Sounds like a good idea for a Ridley Scott film. Or for a spiritual successor to the sitcom Alf!

ALIEN ALEX

In JWFAN, No One Can Hear You Post

That slogan has the added virtue of being true!

I don't know what it is Scott tried to achieve with Prometheus but he didn't succeed on any level, IMO. I only like one little shot in the entire movie.

What was yours? For me it was this.

prometheusv_screencap22.jpg

A skull cave?

Mine is ancient surveillance footage that you only get to see on a monitor. It showed a dozen or so bald gods being extremely scared while trying to get away. I liked that we did not you know what it was they were scared of but you knew it had to be much worse than a cutesy pie Xenomorph. The best thing about film is often about what you don't see.

Alex

A skull cave?

Just a nice tribute to Geiger's original xenomorph designs, along with his work on DUNE (i.e. the skull train). The sun beaming through the silicon dioxide reminds me of a John Martin painting.

It seems to refer to Ripley's 'child' in Alien Resurrection, not really my favorite creature of the franchise. As an image, it feels like it belongs on a album cover of Meat Loaf. Am I missing something?