• Announcements

• Jay

Donate to JWFan, win a CD!   05/30/17

Hello!

We are significantly behind on our funds for keeping JWFan alive, and need to collect donations again.
      As an incentive, I am offering a series of free CDS to anyone who donates over a certain amount!   Donate at least $10 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $250 goal:   Tyler Bates - God of War; Ascension (OST, La La Land Records) Danny Elfman - Planet of the Apes (OST, Sony) Danny Elfman - Taking Woodstock (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Identity Thief (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Medal of Honor: Rising Sun (OST) Michael Giacchino - Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (OST, Varese Sarabande) Dave Holmes & Various - Ocean's 11 (OST, WB Records) Joel McNeely & Various - Hollywood '94 (Varese Sarabande) Joe Kraemer - Jack Reacher (OST, La La Land Records) John Williams - Born on the Fourth of July (OST, MCA Records)   Donate at least $20 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $500 goal:   John Barry - First Love (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - The Challenge (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - In Harm's Way (2009 Intrada edition) Jerry Goldsmith - The Red Pony (Varese) Alan Silvestri - Dutch (La La Land) Shirley Walker - Willard (La La Land) John Williams - Family Plot (Varese Sarabande) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $30 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $750 goal:   James Horner - Gorky Park (OOP Kritzerland Edition) James Newton Howard - Outbreak (2CD, Varese Deluxe Edition) Laurence Rosenthal - Clash of the Titans (2CD, Intrada) John Williams - The Fury (2CD, La La Land) John Williams - Jane Eyre (OOP, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $50 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $1,000 goal:   Jerry Fielding - The Wild Bunch (3CD, FSM) Ira Newborn - The Naked Gun trilogy (3CD, La La Land) Shirley Walker and Various - Batman: The Animated Series Volume 3 (4CD, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer     All shipping will be paid by me to anywhere in the world!   I will pull names from a hat for each pool, and you get to pick whatever CD set you want if I pull your name!   To be eligible, leave your JWFan username in the comments area of your donation.  If you want to donate but not be in the running for a free CD, mention that in the comment.   Use this link or the link on the mainpage.       Thank you!   Jason, Ricard, and Andreas.
TheGreyPilgrim

Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (Rian Johnson 2017)

2617 posts in this topic

Geiger's original design for the alien skull, before it got the black carapace.

Screen-Shot-2012-05-31-at-1.17.08-PM.png

Granted, what made the shot for me was skull being eroded by the sandstorm and unexpectedness of it. IIRC, the camera whips up to it.

Not much a fan of the score, but I kinda like this cue for the storm sequence.

Yeah. Posted it knowing it was probably a fake and then decided to just forget it considering it wasn't even done well.

Does that mean the Gareth Edwards and Josh Trank spinoff films will have more leeway to break from the new norm being established in the "Official Episode" entries, or will they be expected to conform as well?

Yeah, you wonder if Disney will treat this like the Marvel films, where they all have the same general aesthetic, everything is part of the same product line, or if they'll let the spinoffs have their own completely separate identity in terms of design, cinematography, etc.

Well Kevin Feige is basically in charge of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, I dunno if there is one person in charge of the Star Wars Universe. Maybe Kathleen Kennedy

Kathleen Kennedy seems fond of using practical and in-camera effects. I think she said for Episode VII, "we're going to use every tool in the box" in regards to effects. Small scale models, matte paintings, CGI, makeup, prosthetics...

Wouldn't be surprised if she mandated that for Episode VIII and the spin-off films as well.

Did she ever do any films that didnt have Spielberg's direct imput though?

I mean can she survive on her own?

Did she ever do any films that didnt have Spielberg's direct imput though?

I mean can she survive on her own?

Most of her best work has been with Spielberg, but she was Oscar-nominated for The Sixth Sense, Seabiscuit, and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button and she also produced The Diving Bell and the Butterfly.

And exactly what level of creative control do you really think she had on any of these films as a producer? To what degree is she responsible for their outcome or success?

And exactly what level of creative control do you really think she had on any of these films as a producer? To what degree is she responsible for their outcome or success?

She seems more hands-on with the new Star Wars than she was with her previous films. It seems like she wants to stay away from the overly CGI'd prequels, which can only be a good thing.

Also, Rian Johnson loves shooting on film -- all of his previous movies were. I'm pretty sure Episode VIII will be shot on 35mm like Episode VII.

Moved your post from the Episode 7 thread to the Episode 8 thread :)

There's ones for the first two spinoff movies too!

Strange the DP for 2017's Episode 8 would be announced before the DP of 2016's Gareth Edwards spinoff film.