• Announcements

• Jay

Donate to JWFan, win a CD!   05/30/17

Hello!

We are significantly behind on our funds for keeping JWFan alive, and need to collect donations again.
      As an incentive, I am offering a series of free CDS to anyone who donates over a certain amount!   Donate at least $10 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $250 goal:   Tyler Bates - God of War; Ascension (OST, La La Land Records) Danny Elfman - Planet of the Apes (OST, Sony) Danny Elfman - Taking Woodstock (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Identity Thief (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Medal of Honor: Rising Sun (OST) Michael Giacchino - Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (OST, Varese Sarabande) Dave Holmes & Various - Ocean's 11 (OST, WB Records) Joel McNeely & Various - Hollywood '94 (Varese Sarabande) Joe Kraemer - Jack Reacher (OST, La La Land Records) John Williams - Born on the Fourth of July (OST, MCA Records)   Donate at least $20 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $500 goal:   John Barry - First Love (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - The Challenge (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - In Harm's Way (2009 Intrada edition) Jerry Goldsmith - The Red Pony (Varese) Alan Silvestri - Dutch (La La Land) Shirley Walker - Willard (La La Land) John Williams - Family Plot (Varese Sarabande) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $30 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $750 goal:   James Horner - Gorky Park (OOP Kritzerland Edition) James Newton Howard - Outbreak (2CD, Varese Deluxe Edition) Laurence Rosenthal - Clash of the Titans (2CD, Intrada) John Williams - The Fury (2CD, La La Land) John Williams - Jane Eyre (OOP, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $50 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $1,000 goal:   Jerry Fielding - The Wild Bunch (3CD, FSM) Ira Newborn - The Naked Gun trilogy (3CD, La La Land) Shirley Walker and Various - Batman: The Animated Series Volume 3 (4CD, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer     All shipping will be paid by me to anywhere in the world!   I will pull names from a hat for each pool, and you get to pick whatever CD set you want if I pull your name!   To be eligible, leave your JWFan username in the comments area of your donation.  If you want to donate but not be in the running for a free CD, mention that in the comment.   Use this link or the link on the mainpage.       Thank you!   Jason, Ricard, and Andreas.
TheGreyPilgrim

Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (Rian Johnson 2017)

2459 posts in this topic

His acting was top notch! Far better than most of the actors in that film!

I felt like we didn't know enough about him or what motivated him, that's for sure.  I'm sure there was some novel or comic that expanded his backstory, but I don't engage with the expanded universe.

I still have no idea who the fuck Syfo Diaz was.

I certainly think he was! What made his character so intriguing was how little we knew about him. He fully characterized the mysteriousness of the dark side.

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

I felt like we didn't know enough about him or what motivated him, that's for sure.  I'm sure there was some novel or comic that expanded his backstory, but I don't engage with the expanded universe.

I still have no idea who the fuck Syfo Diaz was.

Syfo Diaz is Snoke!

1 minute ago, JohnSolo said:

I certainly think he was! What made his character so intriguing was how little we knew about him. He fully characterized the mysteriousness of the dark side.

They did that better with Maul.

And it was so stupid to just kill him at the beginning of III.  He was the most interesting thing about AOTC, and I thought we'd find out more about him and Lee would get more to do in III.  Ugh.

That was a big problem with the Prequels: Lucas' idea to have one villain for each episode, not giving him the opportunity to develop any of them. He should have stick to one for the whole trilogy.

4 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

That was a big problem with the Prequels: Lucas' idea to have one villain for each episode, not giving him the opportunity to develop any of them. He should have stick to one for the whole trilogy.

In fairness to Lucas, Sidious/Palpatine was the main villain for all three movies, and had a good story arc as well.   

Yeah and Palpatine got exactly what I wish Dooku could've had.  A little background just so we kind of get an idea of his motivation ("UNLIMITED POWER") but still a very mysterious character.

Instead we got Grievous, the most dumb, awful wet fart of a villain in the history of science fiction.

JohnSolo likes this

2 minutes ago, Tom said:

In fairness to Lucas, Sidious/Palpatine was the main villain for all three movies, and had a good story arc as well.   

Good point.

Jumping back to the earlier convo about Jake Lloyd not appearing at Celebration:  If I recall correctly, he was hospitalized for Schizophrenia a year or two ago, so I doubt he has any plans for public appearances any time soon.

Bilbo Skywalker likes this

The humiliation and criticism he received for his acting in TPM turned him to a life of crime!

Honestly, it would've been more surprising news if he hadn't used one.

I do have this sneaking suspicion that the score to picture will be an edited mess.  At least, we'll have the OST....

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I do have this sneaking suspicion that the score to picture will be an edited mess.

Me too, actually. People are really optimistic regarding Johnson, it seems: "We can trust him! It's a guy who knows what he's doing! The editing will be over months before release! The music will be left untouched! Hurray!"

I wouldn't be so sure about that if I were them!

Bofur01 and Will like this

Just now, BloodBoal said:

Me too, actually. People are really optimistic regarding Johnson, it seems: "We can trust him! It's a guy who knows what he's doing! The editing will be over months before release! The music will be left untouched! Hurray!"

I wouldn't be so sure about that if I were them!

I certainly have a degree of trust in him as a storyteller based on his films.  But yeah, there's certainly no evidence that he has any particular reverence for the sanctity of a film score or anything.

6 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

There was nothing boring about Christopher Lee.

He, along with Ewan, Liam, and Ian, are the best parts of the films.  You know what, Jimmy Smits isn't bad either!

6 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Syfo Diaz is Snoke!

Jedi Master Sifo Dias is still a leading member of the Jedi council, is he not?

12 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

I wonder what the other 5% were... 

Michael Giacchino's Rogue One score of course!

Battlefront 2 is using the Episode VIII Stormtrooper model. So here it is:

Nr9sRwz.jpg

Not a huge difference, but they've changed the mouth from the mesh grille to a more 'traditional' Stormtrooper mouth grille. Aside from that, I can't really notice any difference.

On 4/17/2017 at 11:48 PM, Manakin Skywalker said:

Michael Giacchino's Rogue One score of course!

"Michael's Hope theme in Rogue One was so terrific, I asked John if he could emulate it for the main title." - Rian Johnson 

19 hours ago, Gistech said:

Battlefront 2 is using the Episode VIII Stormtrooper model. So here it is:

Nr9sRwz.jpg

Not a huge difference, but they've changed the mouth from the mesh grille to a more 'traditional' Stormtrooper mouth grille. Aside from that, I can't really notice any difference.

The front backpack is also new, but it could be an addon like in the sand trooper.

The traditional looking mouth is better. It looks less like a duck wearing sunglasses now.

Anyway when I'm talking English i have no Dutch accent whatsoever, right @Jay?

10 hours ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Don't get me wrong, I love the design, but it's definitely a duck 😂

What's a duck?

There seems to be a lot of people throughout the internet claiming "YES! THIS LOOKS COMPLETELY ORIGINAL! They're definitely not just remaking Empire."

I guess Disney have done their jobs with the teaser visuals to fool enough people that this is going to be more original. I'm not fooled:

- LUKE training REY is just YODA training LUKE.

- The FIRST ORDER recovering from their SUPER-WEAPON BEING DESTROYED by STRIKING BACK at the RESISTANCE is just the EMPIRE recovering from their SUPER-WEAPON BEING DESTROYED by STRIKING BACK at the REBELLION.

- REY'S PARENTAGE being REVEALED is just LUKE'S PARENTAGE being REVEALED.

- A BATTLE on a WHITE SURFACE (Salt) between RESISTANCE FIGHTERS and FIRST ORDER WALKERS is just a BATTLE on a WHITE SURFACE (Snow) between REBEL FIGHTERS and IMPERIAL WALKERS.

Etc etc.

So this will clearly be a remake of Empire, just as TFA was a remake of ANH. I'm even expecting a shot-for-shot remake in some places...look at this comparison from the teaser and Empire.

AT-AT-Walkers-in-Star-Wars-The-Last-Jedi-and-The-Empire-Strikes-Back.jpg