Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (Rian Johnson 2017)

Dixon Hill

12 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I'm so glad I don't follow all these places where you follow rumors and "reliable" reports like it's journalism or something.  No offense.

Well, a lot of the time it is journalism (e.g. Making Star Wars has a terrific, if not quite perfect, record). But, yeah, we do like to latch onto questionable bits of speculation sometimes. 

I don't think it's Williams, but some parts sound very close. The reason I think it's not him is A) too many bombastic Force theme variations - I doubt Williams would write that many in one score and B) some of it sounds kind of clumsy and maybe even MIDI - e.g. the bit close to the end that sounds like it's trying to emulate Battle of the Heroes. 

EDIT: It's not Williams. YouTube credits say Mark Griskey. 

20 minutes ago, Arpy said:

Don't speak so fucking soon, come December that'll be the next Jedi Steps!

If that's the new Jedi Steps, Giacchino should probably step up to the podium for Episode IX.

Just got back from that Apple trailer event. Very fun! They played our trailers on a big screen at the end. 

There was no TLJ music but they had the completely clean TFA teaser 1 and 2 music, which was really cool. Williams' teaser 1 cue sounded way better without all the sound effects! I'd never realized how great the orchestration was in the dissonant fast stuff because it really gets buried in the mix.

Unfortunately, they wouldn't let us export our trailers, so I won't be able to share those files with you guys. But if you want to hear them, you can always go to an Apple store where you live this weekend. 

Before it started there was a short video from Rian Johnson in which he said, among other things, that (paraphrasing) the best trailers were essentially short films, art in and of themselves. I was happy to hear him say that, as I've been pressing that point here for a while! :)

http://screenrant.com/star-wars-sphero-snoke-mega-star-destroyer-supremacy/

The overall design is pretty neat, but the scale is way too large, in my opinion. A warship three times the size of the Executor is a little much, especially when it is in the possession of the finite remnants of a fallen regime. I still don't get where the First Order gets the resources to fund their massive war machine, especially when the majority of vessels and machinery in their service are basically much larger variations of craft used previously by the Empire.

Also, the destroyer's title is the Supremacy, and it appears the great majority of the First Order's forces are white (including Snoke himself), so perhaps this is some sort of political statement against the recent alt-right movement in the U.S.? Just a thought.

55 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

In a Disney Star Wars movie? Yeah... I doubt that.

Disney is actually the one company that I know for sure wouldn't hesitate to include a political agenda in any of their films. They've done it many times before. They're a very liberal company.

Yeah and anything perceived as controversial, real or not, is edited or locked in the Disney Vault, such as Song of the South or Aladdin telling everyone to take off their clothes. It's a company that takes no risks anymore and prepares the safest product possible for mass consumption.

12 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

It's not like they ever include anything that's actually controversial.

I seem to remember that on Rogue One, Disney execs were even evading questions about whether the movie showed how fascism was bad (or something to that effect). They're being really careful. 

10 minutes ago, Evil-Lyn said:

Yeah and anything perceived as controversial, real or not, is edited or locked in the Disney Vault, such as Song of the South or Aladdin telling everyone to take off their clothes. It's a company that takes no risks anymore and prepares the safest product possible for mass consumption.

Yes, TFA is the perfect example of this.

8 hours ago, Will said:

I seem to remember that on Rogue One, Disney execs were even evading questions about whether the movie showed how fascism was bad (or something to that effect). They're being really careful. 

I've worked with people who view this stuff with a zealously commercial eye because they know that many people who see the word "fascism" or words like it lack the judgement and reading comprehension to place it in proper context. Instead they see the word isolated from its context and consequently they're "triggered" by it. A company doesn't want to be mistakenly viewed as endorsing fascism by merely acknowledging its existence!

There was an issue earlier today. There's a young Leia book that's been published to tie into TLJ. Anyway, in the book Leia ends up using the phrase "Strength through joy" I was amazed at how few people understood the reference. Some people even tried to defend it.

The author claims she didn't know the phrase and it's connotations. I don't think you use that exact phrase unless you know where it comes from. If you know where it comes from why would you use it?

Person writing about space Nazis (no doubt doing her own research on real Nazis for inspiration) happens to come up with a phrase that was used by the Nazis. There's definitely nothing eyebrow raising there.