Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (Rian Johnson 2017)

Dixon Hill

2 hours ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

This is one of the many things I dislike about Abrams. If he feels so strongly about it, why didn't he do it himself?

IMG_4091.PNG

Because LGBT would be anti-Star Wars. It's why the Finn/Poe relationship is so light.

Still not on the same level as Hobbit-Gollum. Although he looks weird removed from his natural setting - in a dark throne room, I guess he'll look a little more convincing.

I still think Snoke's design is fucking boring.

As for Laura Dern's character, she'll probably barely be in the movie. Those things have way too many characters. And I think they're separating Poe and FInn storyline wise on purpose. And they aren't going to do a Legend of Korra thing because the franchise is scared of EVERYTHING.

I don't even know if there's somedy in Lucasfilm with a robust, clear, overarching idea of what to do and explore with those movies. Τhey even said they didn't have a plan for the trilogy...

Snoke was the weakest link in TFA. He's a substitute Palpatine for the sake of needing a dark lord in the shadows!

I can see the remnants of the Empire needing a strong figure to pull the strings from behind the scenes, but I don't understand why they didn't just make a villain that needn't be mystical, old and deformed and one that is just a strong character upfront. Why do I get the feeling that they think a convincing villain must be reduced to used-up stereotypes at the risk of having a one-note, big baddie?

41 minutes ago, Brónach said:

I don't even know if there's somedy in Lucasfilm with a robust, clear, overarching idea of what to do and explore with those movies. Τhey even said they didn't have a plan for the trilogy...

That was my problem with having three different directors. With the Harry Potter series, we ended up with the stale Yates at the end to round out the series, and for all the flaws present in his handling of those stories, at least they're consistently devoid of magic and wonder and any semblance of colour. He also had the books to take from, but here with this new trilogy, not only do we have a carousel of directors with different sensibilities, but the "Brain Trust" doesn't even have a plan!

2 hours ago, Brónach said:

I think the "not having a plan" can also hurt character interactions or romance storylines. Hence when they mention the "gay character" thing I just snort.

Gay people on Disney's Star Wars?

27 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

There are a whole bunch of queer characters in Disney's new-canon literature, too - books as well as comics.  One of them -Doctor Aphra - stood toe-to-toe with Vader for the 25-issue length of Kieron Gillen's run, and now has a monthly ongoing of her own.

45 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

The moral guardians there don't like us much.  The problems might steem with different folks in the production having different ideas and different levels of moral guardian-ness. That would be awkward.

It's kind of like featuring red-head heroes (different, attractive, used as symbolic short-hand for stuff) and can spice up character dynamics, but this trilogy I think doesn't have anything romantic going on. Besides maybe FInn and the new girl. In fact the general tendency now is that heroes are isolated or isolate themselves and might die at any time.

Rogue One really drove that point home

In fact I think most of the idea of seeing gayness here stems from the scenes that have had the most chemistry between actor/characters, which happen to be only Finn/Poe and the quips between Chirrut and Baze

I mean Daisy and Adam Driver were great together and K2 is awesome, but those couldn't have any sort of implication like that... (I really like Rey's creepy interrogation scene)

And then there's Finn asking id she has a boyfriend, which really just sounds dumb in the context of things.

I like the lack of sex. They're space movies for kids. Even the old movies with their one-dimensional crush on Leia because she's a pretty hologram were extremely modest. Not that I'm defending TFA in any way, but the lack of a romance was not an issue.

They couldn't even keep super weapon politics out...

Actually depolitizing things beyond "kill the nazis" might have been a bad idea in Rogue One, because I still don't understand what the hell were those differences between parts of the rebels that seemed so important but not really. Like for a second I thought it would get explained, Guerrera would accompany them and the conflict but explode in a critical moment making everything worse. But nope...

Maybe I'm too pessimist and this one movie will make me feel feelings. Who knows.

I think my favourite sequence of those new movies is Finn and Poe escaping together from the ship. A heartwarming action scene from JJ, who would've thought.

1 minute ago, BloodBoal said:

Nowadays, two men having a good, dynamic relationship = gay.

So...

Finn and Poe = gay

Merry and Pippin = gay

Kirk and Spock = gay

Albert and Gordon Cole = gay

Legolas and Gimli = super gay

Batman and Robin = gay

Batman and Superman = gay

Harry and Ron = gay

Frodo and Sam = ultra gay

Caesar and Maurice = gay

Will Turner and Jack Sparrow = gay

Quintus and Stefan = gay

John Williams and Steven Spielberg = gay

yes

no

no

no

no

yes

no

no

yes

who

yes

no

bi

Reminds me of an article I came across Googling the lady from Fantastic Beasts. This guy just seems desperate to find gayness in the film.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2016/11/28/fantastic_beasts_has_a_gay_subtext_its_sequels_should_make_it_text.html

I'm not trying to offend anyone, but are women (throwing this in there because of women-centric redos such as Female Ghostbusters and Nurse Who) and non-heteros really that desperate to see people like them in movies and TV? Why? I don't watch movies and TV to see anyone resembling myself. It sounds like a vanity thing. Many of my "role models" in these things have been women. I must be doing it wrong.

Much like mutants in X-Men, it has always been possible for any minority to see themselves in the world of Harry Potter.  Magical people who have to hide who they are from the rest of society and such.  And I'm sure Rowling intends a degree of universality where many different kinds of people can identify.