Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (Rian Johnson 2017)

Dixon Hill

I wonder, since TLJ will be by far the longest Star Wars film yet to hit theaters, it is too outlandish to think that Episode IX might be some kind of four-hour-long epic, like The Return of the King?

Doesn't sound right to me. These films have a certain aesthetic which extends to their runtime.

I like long movies, but for this series I don't think it will work. It has always relied on a very kinetic narrative.

It will probably turn out to be fake news, anyhow.

1 hour ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Imagine a 4 hour JJ film.

actually, don’t. 

J.J's films are usually quite brisk, the editing is fast and choppy. A 4 hour Abrams film just wouldn't work with his more brief bursts of energy that propel the story in a short amount of time. I guess he could fill it out with credits ROAR!

The pacing isn’t one of TFA’s strong points.

its brisk until it gets to Maz’s Castle then it falls in a heap on the floor and remains a mess for the remainder of the film.

1 minute ago, BloodBoal said:

I'm sure Episode IX will end up being so long, they'll split it into two movies:

"As we were editing the film, we realized we had so much good material, it would be a shame to cut so much of it, so it was decided unanimously to make two 3 hours long film instead of one 6 hours long film. We considered it was the best way for the picture to be the most financially... I mean, artistically satisfying. Star Wars - Episode IX: Part 1 will thus be released in December 2019 and Star Wars - Episode IX: Part 2 will be released in May 2020, providing every Star Wars fan and film enthusiast in the world with more cinematic greatness in theaters." - J.J. Abrams

Oh God!  This is too potentially true to be funny! :(

Americans! 

Sigh...

Just now, BloodBoal said:

"The book was too damn big! It was the only way to make a faithful adaptation that would still omit major elements of the story! That's the only reason we split the book into three films, I swear!" - Peter Jackson, Bullsitter Extraordinaire.

Fixed!

24 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Considering my ancestors were among them I'm hardly going to dispute your change to my quote!

I knew there was something likable about you!

Oh they're lesser folk alright. 

The Hierarchy goes:

1. The Irish. 

2. Dogs.

3. The Irish Diaspora. 

4. Everyone else.

5. Other animals. 

6. Dung beetles. 

7. The Brits. 

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Saggy midsection, like a pregnant whore!

I like The Force Awakens (albeit on the most basic level) and I think it's pretty snappy. About the only thing I don't like (besides the remake-aspect of it) is that the third act kind of sucks. Part of the problem is Starkiller Base. Since it isn't set up early in the narrative it just kind of comes out of nowhere.

Fortunately, the only way to redeem a weak third act is to ensure that the last scene or shot are strong such that the audience is left with a strong finale, which the film provides nicely.