Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (Rian Johnson 2017)

Dixon Hill

2 hours ago, Baby Jane Hudson said:

Maybe that's how Luke turns bad? He's scared of Rey and Ren and that makes him go Dark Sidey?

"Dark Sidey"! Brilliant.

Maybeho that's how Lukey turney what badeggsidey? He's scaredycatymo of Rey and Ren, that makes him go all turnoffthelightyfold? 

Trailer's not bad, though a bit haphazard and lacking in coherence (even for a trailer).

The "you are special" line at the beginning sounds lame though, almost like a parody. And it pretty much looks like an Empire remake. I have a feeling Rey is going to spend most of the movie on that rock world w/Luke.

10 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

Trailer's not bad, though a bit haphazard and lacking in coherence (even for a trailer).

The "you are special" line at the beginning sounds lame though, almost like a parody. And it pretty much looks like an Empire remake. I have a feeling Rey is going to spend most of the movie on that rock world w/Luke.

“That rock world”? My home it is!

Well it does look like a “Craggy island” alright. 

3PO can be Dougal and R2 can be Jack. All his dialogue is censored anyway.

1 hour ago, Arpy said:

22385015_1593914410660989_1847036968_n.jpg

Impressive, most impressive...

58 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

KQ5xqPp.png

What is this?

Edit: Well... I only knew it with the eye in the center... :pat:

7 hours ago, Holko said:

I thought it was horrible! Chiched, spoiler-y, I thought the visuals looked like an overly colour-corrected, digitaly lit, CGI mess (that I hated in Hobbit and the new Pirates) - 

That was kinda my reaction as well. I don't like how it looks. 

Because dark side!

don't you see? It's Evil! Foreboding! Dark Middle chapter!

Its too much Like Empire Strikes Back if only by virtue of the tone it seems to be going for.

4 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Its too much Like Empire Strikes Back if only by virtue of the tone it seems to be going for.

Uh, all the middle chapters in film trilogies tend to be darker-toned. Look at LOTR, The Hobbit, The Hunger Games, The Godfather, heck, even the prequel trilogy. Empire set the precedent for what a sequel could accomplish; just because TLJ is setting up to be darker than its predecessor doesn't mean it'll be a ripoff of said film.

The porgs seem to be getting a lot of criticism here, but I love 'em.

Provide mild comic relief without being like K2-SO, who was extremely cringeworthy in the RO trailer.

12 minutes ago, JohnSolo said:

all the middle chapters in film trilogies tend to be darker-toned. Look at LOTR, The Hobbit, The Hunger Games, The Godfather, heck, even the prequel trilogy. Empire set the precedent for what a sequel could accomplish; just because TLJ is setting up to be darker than its predecessor doesn't mean it'll be a ripoff of said film.

True. I was just poking fun at it. I don't think, however, that JJ will make Episode 9 as dark, so we are yet to see how it all works as a series.

32 minutes ago, Will said:

The porgs seem to be getting a lot of criticism here, but I love 'em.

Provide mild comic relief without being like K2-SO, who was extremely cringeworthy in the RO trailer.

Let BB8 be the cute little thing that provides comic relief. No need for toy-like merchandising ! :P

1 hour ago, JohnSolo said:

Uh, all the middle chapters in film trilogies tend to be darker-toned. Look at LOTR, The Hobbit, The Hunger Games, The Godfather, heck, even the prequel trilogy. Empire set the precedent for what a sequel could accomplish; just because TLJ is setting up to be darker than its predecessor doesn't mean it'll be a ripoff of said film.

While I agree that middle chapters (including Empire) tend to be darker, I think some of your examples are suspect. All the Hunger Games movies are fairly dark, Godfather II wasn't even intended to be a "middle chapter" (and really isn't as dark as Part III anyway), and Revenge of the Sith is much darker than Attack of the Clones.  And I don't regard TTT as a particularly dark film.

Based on what I can make of the trailer, it looks to me like they are in fact (unsurprisingly) taking some of their broad beats from Empire. I say unsurprisingly because while in some ways the trailer is spoilerish, in other ways it's not given that everything I saw was basically in line with what you'd expect to happen.

The Force Awakens trailer gave way more goosebumps. This was an uninspiring trailer, but hopefully a good film.

Again, it looks visually boring. In TESB, the training took place in an alien looking swamp, now it looks like Rey and Luke are in Ireland. What happened to the feeling of being transported to a universe far far away?

What's next? Trees?!

1 hour ago, Nick1066 said:

While I agree that middle chapters (including Empire) tend to be darker, I think some of your examples are suspect. All the Hunger Games movies are fairly dark, Godfather II wasn't even intended to be a "middle chapter" (and really isn't as dark as Part III anyway), and Revenge of the Sith is much darker than Attack of the Clones.  And I don't regard TTT as a particularly dark film.

Based on what I can make of the trailer, it looks to me like they are in fact (unsurprisingly) taking some of their broad beats from Empire. I say unsurprisingly because while in some ways the trailer is spoilerish, in other ways it's not given that everything I saw was basically in line with what you'd expect to happen.

I think to some extent Rian Johnson was probably boxed in by what Abrams and Kasdan left him. When you end TFA pretty similarly to ANH in the broad strokes, it's hard not to make TLJ similar to TESB in the broad strokes. 

6 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

But Star Wars was completely open ended!

You're right about that. One of the many stories coming out of Empire was that Gary Kurtz wanted to the sequel to continue the broadly "rebellion vs. the empire" saga and all that entails, whereas George Lucas wanted to narrow the scope down to Darth/Emperor vs. Luke, and the Skywalker redemption story. Obviously Lucas had all the power, so that's what we got.   By the time Jedi rolled around, Kurtz was history and Lucas was out of ideas.

But for a moment, Star Wars could have gone anywhere.

20 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

I'm starting to wonder if you've ever actually seen Blade Runner.

I'm beginning to wonder why you think Blade Runner takes place in a universe far far away. Indeed, I have a problem with alien planets and far away universes that look exactly like Earth. I don't have a problem with Earth looking like Earth, like in Blade Runner.

Blade_03.jpg

Oh, no! This looks like a tunnel in L.A.! Blade Runner is ruined! Oh wait ...in the beginning it said  "Los Angeles 2019" ... Phew!

22 minutes ago, Will said:

I think to some extent Rian Johnson was probably boxed in by what Abrams and Kasdan left him. When you end TFA pretty similarly to ANH in the broad strokes, it's hard not to make TLJ similar to TESB in the broad strokes. 

Indeed!

20 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

But Star Wars was completely open ended!

No. It's a completely stand-alone film. The continuity between it and Empire Strikes Back, not to mention the prequels, is very cluncky and it doesn't feel like Empire does, either.

15 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

You're right about that. One of the many stories coming out of Empire was that Gary Kurtz wanted to the sequel to continue the broadly "rebellion vs. the empire" saga and all that entails, whereas George Lucas wanted to narrow the scope down to Darth/Emperor vs. Luke, and the Skywalker redemption story. Obviously Lucas had all the power, so that's what we got.   By the time Jedi rolled around, Kurtz was history and Lucas was out of ideas.

But for a moment, Star Wars could have gone anywhere.

Empire Strikes Back is the Star Wars movie that George Lucas was least involved with shaping (hence it's the best). He wasn't even involved in the screenwriting. Just the laying down the foundations for the story.

4 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Indeed!

No. It's a completely stand-alone film. The continuity between it and Empire Strikes Back, not to mention the prequels, is very cluncky and it doesn't feel like Empire does, either.

Empire Strikes Back is the Star Wars movie that George Lucas was least involved with shaping (hence it's the best). He wasn't even involved in the screenwriting. Just the laying down the foundations for the story.

Didn’t he re-write Bracket’s script (which Brie pretty much no resemblance to the final film because it was pants and Lucas gave her his screenwriting credit because she was sick) and Kasdan’s involvement was pretty much a polish? 

That’s according to Rinzler anyway.

It was the film he had the least on set involvement in but he was just as creatively involved as with any of the others

1 minute ago, Jay said:

The continuity between Star Wars and Empire Strikes back is clunky?  How?

It isnt.

It's mostly the change of tone.

The idea that Darth Vader was Luke's father was clearly not in anyone's head during Star Wars. In that film, he is just lord of the Stormtroopers under Tarkin. At one point, the twist was going to be that Vader revealed that Ben killed Luke's father.

As for George Lucas: he isn't given screenwriting credits in the film.

11 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Of course...it is the best, and it's the one he was least involved in.

But the overall narrowing the scope of the saga was all Lucas.

Just now, Chen G. said:

As for George Lucas: he isn't given screenwriting credits in the film.

Yes, he gave them to Bracket and settled for the smaller story credit instead. 

He worked outside the guilds so he could do what he wanted. 

27 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

The idea that Darth Vader was Luke's father was clearly not in anyone's head during Star Wars. In that film, he is just lord of the Stormtroopers under Tarkin. At one point, the twist was going to be that Vader revealed that Ben killed Luke's father.

I noticed that when watching Star Wars in NYC with the live orchestra the other week.  When Ben Kenobi is telling Luke about his father Anakin, the story he's telling is significantly more interesting than the story we got in the prequels, and yea, its quite clear that within just SW, Vader and Anakin are absolutely 100% separate characters.

I definitely wish they never made Vader =Anakin, and I wish they never made Luke and Leia siblings too.

7 hours ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Seeing people hate the Porgs is great. 

I hope the the film is full of them and it removes a certain joyless part of the fandom. 

So some people fail to find joy in minions or porgs. That doesn't mean they are joyless, oh you of little imagination.

16 minutes ago, Jay said:

I noticed that when watching Star Wars in NYC with the live orchestra the other week.  When Uncle Ben is telling Luke about his father Anakin, the story Own is telling is significantly more interesting than the story we got in the prequels, and yea, its quite clear that within just SW, Vader and Anakin are absolutely 100% separate characters.

I think you're a little confused. There is no "Uncle Ben" (at least in Star Wars).  There is an Uncle Owen, but he doesn't tell Luke much about his father. It's Ben Kenobi who relates the tales you're referring to.

That said, I agree with you 100%! I remember seeing that scene and my imagination went wild on what the clone wars looked like, what the adventures Luke's father & Ben had, etc.  It goes without saying that the prequels were a huge let down (not that they could ever have lived up to what I imagined anyway).