Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (Rian Johnson 2017)

Dixon Hill

Jason: Looper good, Birdman bad!

Alvar: Birdman good, Looper bad!

Add my vote in favor of Birdman.

How about KK.?

Amen!

Birdman >>>>> Looper

Jason: Looper good, Birdman bad!

Alvar: Birdman good, Looper bad!

Add my vote in favor of Birdman.

Birdman >>>>> Looper

True, although both are unimpressive films.

Karol

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Lawrence Kasdan:

"These movies will all be so different. [“Episode VIII” director] Rian Johnson is a friend of mine — he’s going to make some weird thing. If you’ve seen Rian’s work, you know it’s not going be like anything that’s ever been in “Star Wars.” You couldn’t have three more different people than J.J., Rian and [“Episode IX” director] Colin [Trevorrow]. Those movies will have the “Star Wars” saga as their basis, but everything else will be different. Then Phil Lord and Chris Miller are going to make the Han Solo film and I can’t guess what that will be like — and I’m writing it!"

So that means the score could be very different even if Williams stays on I guess? Maybe another it'll "Prisoner of Azkaban opportunity", I really hope he stays on for Johnson's movie, it sounds like it could be a really interesting score.

- http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/herocomplex/la-ca-hc-star-wars-lawrence-kasdan-20151206-story.html

"(...) Johnson is also a folk singer and banjoist" from his Wiki article.

What the h***, they've putted a Star Wars movie in the hand of a banjoist?

As long as he doesn't feel entitled to write and perform a second Cellar Song, I'm fine with it.

Lawrence Kasdan:

"These movies will all be so different. [“Episode VIII” director] Rian Johnson is a friend of mine — he’s going to make some weird thing. If you’ve seen Rian’s work, you know it’s not going be like anything that’s ever been in “Star Wars.” You couldn’t have three more different people than J.J., Rian and [“Episode IX” director] Colin [Trevorrow]. Those movies will have the “Star Wars” saga as their basis, but everything else will be different. Then Phil Lord and Chris Miller are going to make the Han Solo film and I can’t guess what that will be like — and I’m writing it!"

So that means the score could be very different even if Williams stays on I guess? Maybe another it'll "Prisoner of Azkaban opportunity", I really hope he stays on for Johnson's movie, it sounds like it could be a really interesting score.

- http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/herocomplex/la-ca-hc-star-wars-lawrence-kasdan-20151206-story.html

Interesting words from Mr. Kasdan.

I doubt JW will be back for any further Star Wars films, even though I'll be more than happy to be proven wrong.

Disney put the franchise on new and fast tracks, but they knew for their first entry it was VERY important to link back to the legacy. The Force Awakens is gonna be the film with most ties to the previous films because they have to rekindle the fire of the older generation and create a natural bridge to the new stories. But the future SW films will probably be much less dependent on this--I wouldn't be surprised if they will do something different with the music as well. So it was important also to have John Williams writing new music and new themes for the new characters and situations for this film, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Maestro will pass the baton to someone else for the next chapters.

I really hope he scores it. I can accept other composers for the Anthology films, but the episodes must be done by Williams, as long as he is willing and able. Long live the maestro!

But the future SW films will probably be much less dependent on this--I wouldn't be surprised if they will do something different with the music as well. So it was important also to have John Williams writing new music and new themes for the new characters and situations for this film, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Maestro will pass the baton to someone else for the next chapters.

And hopefully, they'll abandon Williams' themes from Episode VIII onwards.

Absolutely, and replace them with futuristic sound synthesis work, like Fox executives had wisely suggested for the original Star Wars.

Absolutely, and replace them with futuristic sound synthesis work, like Fox executives had wisely suggested for the original Star Wars.

That would have been awesome!

I really hope he scores it. I can accept other composers for the Anthology films, but the episodes must be done by Williams, as long as he is willing and able. Long live the maestro!

I agree with you, but do we really think that Disney/Lucasfilm will be done with "episodes" after doing IX? Of course not, there will be X, XI and XII... and on and on. The franchise is going beyond the concept of trilogies and episodes. Williams will stay with it as long as he desires of course, but given the path the franchise is being put on, I wouldn't be surprised if he will consider passing the torch after TFA.

Future trilogies are another thing altogether, same as the Anthology films. I don't think they will radically change the musical aproach in the middle of this trilogy. JW will score VII if he is willing to

I hope he scores Episode 8. But will he want to work with another brand new (to him) director right after The BFG? Or would he rather stay home and write concert music for a while?

Future trilogies are another thing altogether, same as the Anthology films. I don't think they will radically change the musical aproach in the middle of this trilogy.

Of course they won't change anything radically all of a sudden, but they will probably start putting new elements into the whole fabric and build a new universe, and this may also include the music. From what is being said publicly by the filmmakers themselves (Kennedy, Abrams, Kasdan, Johnson), it's clear there is no Lucas-like mastermind at play here this time. Every writer and director is bringing his/her own sensibility within the SW framework, so there are more margins of creative freedom (although within the Star Wars universe of course) and perhaps also the right to change course if something isn't working as expected. This will become more apparent in the future films, imho.

That being said, I too hope Williams will score more Star Wars films. If he truly enjoyed working on TFA, I'm pretty sure he will do VIII as well.

Depending on Spielberg's schedules for Ready Player One and It's What I Do, he might not be able to, or he'd have to choose between the projects.

Of course, Episode 8 could have a significantly shorter scoring process than Episode 7 did, so who knows.

Back in the day when Williams was announced as the composer for the Force Awakens, didn't Kathleen Kennedy say he would be composer for all three films, or something like that?

Back in the day when Williams was announced as the composer for the Force Awakens, didn't Kathleen Kennedy say he would be composer for all three films, or something like that?

Eh, they'll just get a trailer house to score them. Most people won't even be able to tell the difference.

Here you go:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=22882&page=16#entry922551

• 2 weeks later...

The Force Awakens borrowed from the whole OT, in a nostalgic fan fest Star Wars is back kind of way. Episode8 will be original, hopefully, and will aim to be on par with TESB, with a shocking revelation ending that will challenge everything we know about everything. Or something like that.

So now that I've seen Episode 7, I'd love to speculate about what the plot of Episode 8 could be. But I don't want to spoil people who haven't seen 7 yet. But do we need two different Episode 8 threads, one for those who have seen 7 and ones who haven't?

Or should I just temporarily re-title this thread "Episode 7 Spoilers Allowed" and people can just stay out until they've seen 7?