So Shane Black is directing a Predator sequel...

Jay

Yup. Looking forward to it. I actually enjoyed the PREDATORS movie from a few years ago (which also fits into the timeline), so I'm relieved to see Black go the sequel rather than reboot route.

Yup. Looking forward to it. I actually enjoyed the PREDATORS movie from a few years ago (which also fits into the timeline), so I'm relieved to see Black go the sequel rather than reboot route.

What? Predators was a TERRIBLE movie!

Predator 1 and 2 are both still awesome though. The second one is so underrated.

Had no idea he was in the film.

Are you serious?

Predator 1 and 2 are both still awesome though. The second one is so underrated.

Had no idea he was in the film.

Are you serious?

I only know him because of his screenplays, never knew he acted.

The liner notes for Intrada's Predator mention that McTiernan cast Shane Black in the film so that he would have a writer on set for quick rewrites.

Also, I liked Predators.

Predators was just a love letter to the original Mctiernan film. Same for the score. At this point I honestly don't have any interest in another moviet.

I thought Predators was worse than AvP. It's not even a guilty pleasure.

Agreed.

OMG someone likes Predators, what ever shall we do?! (Sarcasm)

I too like Predators and enjoyed it. Who gives a fuck if someone actually enjoys the films?

If someone doesn't like them I don't give a damn and you shouldn't give a fuck if someone (like myself) enjoys them. Don't need to be scalded for it.

Agreed.

My thoughts are that only the first half of Predators was good, the mystery kept building, then it all falls apart with the crazy Fishburne character, the predator trio and that totally unconvincing convict guy.

AvP is actually pretty cool. The standoff between hunter and hunted came off well done and the action is awesome. Also love the queen resurrection scene, which puts a huge smile on my face because Aliens is my favourite film.

Oh and I don't care if Debney returns, he did a great job imitating Silvestri. But Silvestri doing the score would be sweet indeed...

Agreed.

My thoughts are that only the first half of Predators was good, the mystery kept building, then it all falls apart with the crazy Fishburne character, the predator trio and that totally unconvincing convict guy.

Yeah as per usual with these things the setup provides sufficient intrigue only to turn to BS a little further in, resulting in disappointment once again. In fact they went so far with the BS factor that I vaguely remember even being annoyed by the movie.

The crazy Lawrence Fishburne character (a sort of tribute to Colonel Kurtz) was the only interesting character in the movie, IIRC. He's the only one who felt like an actual human being, and not just a cypher/killing machine.

The crazy Lawrence Fishburne character (a sort of tribute to Colonel Kurtz) was the only interesting character in the movie, IIRC. He's the only one who felt like an actual human being, and not just a cypher/killing machine.

This, and I thought he played the role well. Topher Grace as a serial killer? Come on!

AVP does the aliens well but the predators are lacking. The human characters are alright too.

AVP:R does great justice to the predators, but the aliens can barely be seen, although the predalien is a cool novelty. The human characters are forgettable.

AVP does the aliens well but the predators are lacking. The human characters are alright too.

AVP:R does great justice to the predators, but the aliens can barely be seen, although the predalien is a cool novelty. The human characters are forgettable.

True. I actually like both of those but I would have to like AVP: R a bit better. It also annoyed me how hard it was to see the Aliens for AVP:R.

Wolf (was his name) Predator was simply bad ass from beginning to end. He was definitely one of the more unique Predators and a skilled seasoned hunter. He also was definitely one who destroyed all evidence and would kill humans if they posed any threat and got in his way.

I disagree. I thought PREDATORS paid lots of respect to the original movies while being totally engrossing as a finely tuned, contemporary popcorn film. Very good craftmanship all around.

As a purely filmatic piece of work, I actually thought it was just as good as the first.

Yeah he wasn't a traditional hunter, which made him interesting and mysterious. I liked the moment when he expressed sorrow for his fallen comrades.

Predators will express sorrow for fallen comrades, especially if they're from the same clan. I think it would stand to assume the ones he showed sorrow for that they were from the same clan.

Also his non-traditional role as a "cleaner" made him the most dangerous predator portrayed on screen because he didn't care whether humans were armed, his policy was no witnesses. Usually you're pretty safe in the presence of a predator if you're unarmed, pregnant or they think you're too pissweak to bother with.

Also his non-traditional role as a "cleaner" made him the most dangerous predator portrayed on screen because he didn't care whether humans were armed, his policy was no witnesses. Usually you're pretty safe in the presence of a predator if you're unarmed, pregnant or they think you're too pissweak to bother with.

Very true.

I also agree that Predators was a decent popcorn flick, but Predator is a classic. Predator 2 is also very good, just not in the same league as the first. I'm glad they tried something different, and it's a lot gorier.

PREDATOR is indeed a fine film -- much due to John McTiernan's wonderful action capabilities. PREDATOR 2 I haven't seen in at least two decades, but while enjoyable, I remember it not having the same finesse as the first. I actually think the first AvP film is decent as a monster thriller in its own right, even though it betrays some of the artistic aspirations of the ALIEN universe, in particular. The sequel was pants. And as I said, I loved PREDATORS.

So knowing who the director of this prequel/sequel is (his involvement with the franchise), and what he has said about it, I think this looks very promising, all things being considered.

But of course, ultimately the proof is in the pudding.

AVP:R was fucking vile shit. I walked out of the cinema after the maternity ward scene.

I would never do that, but I was severely disappointed. Mostly by the fact that the genuinely scary ALIEN concept had been reduced to a teenage slasher film. At least the first film honoured the mythos, and took care to fit into the timeline.

You're forgetting that AvP is actually a video game adaptation. I don't know why anyone would want to combine these two universes except for monetary gain. It's not like there was a golden storytelling opportunity that had to be taken. It's like Freddy vs. Jason.

You're forgetting that AvP is actually a video game adaptation. I don't know why anyone would want to combine these two universes except for monetary gain. It's not like there was a golden storytelling opportunity that had to be taken. It's like Freddy vs. Jason.

And you forgot about the AvP comic book from 1989 that inspired the whole crossover of the franchises in the first place. Your analogy is similar to Cameron and Scott's sentiments.

Oh Koray. It started as a comic book, all the video games and films came way later.