BloodBoal

It's not a good place to be ...

Remember the times of Georges Mélies? Remember that film where you see a rocket flying into a pie in the sky? Audiences were glued to the screen! That was respect!

Invent a cinema where there is no screen. People just walk in and watch the movie on their phones in a YouTube type app where they can have the movie going while they're looking at fartbook and shitter.

This isn't regarding any particular member or any particular post, but all this Transformers talk got me thinking and I just wanted to share some of my useless thoughts.

I haven't watched any of the Transformers films -I think I might have watched a little from the first one when zapping around the TV and quickly changed the channel, but I did watch the Cinema Sins videos regarding the trilogy and from that I think I can sadly see why these movies keep making insane moneyz at the box-office: It's quite the representation of modern society. Flashy, noisy, sexy, superficial.... Of course all this is much better -and intentionally- exposed in Cronenberg's Crash, so it's not all that surprising to see the modern generation enjoying these films and defending Michael Bay to death. One thing is if you know they're dumb and you still enjoy them, that's fine. But don't tell me Bay is a *good* director because he's not; in fact, all the stuff that people like in his movies was mostly done by someone else, all the CGI people that's always put under the rug.

It saddens me how younger generations worry so much about looking cool and what others think of them and the fact they value themselves as society sees them. This is nothing new of course, in the 50's every guy wanted to look as cool as Elvis, so every generation has had that. It seems so douchey to me.... I had written a lot more but I felt I was getting too pedantic so I'll leave there. My last thought is what these kids will become when they grow up.

So am I one of the only ones who watched all three films and paid money for it? The first two in the theatre, the third on blu-ray. Yes, while I'm not the biggest Bay-fan, I do think his films are extremely entertaining on a pure visual and visceral level while doing what I love seeing most, blowing shit up... I just cannot be bored by his over the top camera work and hyperkinetic editing at all.

I agree Revenge of the Fallen is the weakest, but I don't get the hate for the other two, they're big, loud and awesome to see and hear. I watch these on my humble but not too shabby 5.1 surround system and I have a ball with these films every time. But then I am big sucker for awesome sound mixes.

And to correct some gents here: it's not all CGI. I've watched the making of documentary of part 3 and you wouldn't believe how much was done practical, I couldn't believe it myself in fact. I think there was more work done on computers for The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (I'm honestly not kidding, saw that making of as well and that had an insane amount of CGI done to complement the live action).

Not sure if I'm going to watch the fourth, I don't like going to theatre anymore when I've got such a great one at home (and no annoying kids either)...

So am I one of the only ones who watched all three films and paid money for it? The first two in the theatre, the third on blu-ray. Yes, while I'm not the biggest Bay-fan, I do think his films are extremely entertaining on a pure visual and visceral level while doing what I love seeing most, blowing shit up... I just cannot be bored by his over the top camera work and hyperkinetic editing at all.

I agree Revenge of the Fallen is the weakest, but I don't get the hate for the other two, they're big, loud and awesome to see and hear. I watch these on my humble but not too shabby 5.1 surround system and I have a ball with these films every time. But then I am big sucker for awesome sound mixes.

And to correct some gents here: it's not all CGI. I've watched the making of documentary of part 3 and you wouldn't believe how much was done practical, I couldn't believe it myself in fact. I think there was more work done on computers for The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (I'm honestly not kidding, saw that making of as well and that had an insane amount of CGI done to complement the live action).

Not sure if I'm going to watch the fourth, I don't like going to theatre anymore when I've got such a great one at home (and no annoying kids either)...

More or less this.

You may not like big dumb action movies, but there's no denying Bay is good at making them.

I like the original Bad Boys, yes.

The sequel is annoying. The Island is boring.

The sequel is obnoxious and over-the-top in every possible way. It's an amazing feat!

The Island is just a retread of all of his other stuff, and it has Sean Bean!

You may not like big dumb action movies, but there's no denying Bay is good at making them.

Gotta give that one to you. I don't think anyone's denying Michael Bay is great at making big, dumb movies.

Bad Boys, The Rock, Armageddon, The Island and Transformers 1 & 3, dumb and overblown as some of them are, they simply fail to not entertain me every time.

And Bad Boys 2 is a guilty pleasure, if alone for the duo Lawrence-Smith and one amazingly shot action sequence. Though I didn't like it either after one viewing: the humour I felt was obnoxious, but I got over it the second time... :yes:

The Island could very well be the only Bay-film that doesn't exactly sound like a Bay-film, at least where it's premise is concerned. It looks to have a little more thought went into it than what he usually delivers. And a little more restraint in the action department as well.

The Island could very well be the only Bay-film that doesn't exactly sound like a Bay-film, at least where it's premise is concerned. It looks to have a little more thought went into it than what he usually delivers. And a little more restraint in the action department as well.

The premise itself is not typical Bay. It's science fiction after all, but it's definitely not restrained. You have the Bad Boys II highway chase and the slo-mo Mexican stand-off.

That's why I said a little. The first part of the film there's hardly any action, it's when the main characters escape it switches gears.

Armageddon and The Rock are undeniably fun. Plus, scores by The MV Band!

Holy crap, yes... I just listened to Armageddon complete score again. It becomes more awesome with each listen. From the days when blockbuster scores still had themes. And not afraid to make em sound good.

The Rock and the first Bad Boys films were a lot of fun, yes. And well done. He started off well, no question. But then Armageddon came along, the first Bay movie where the style undermined the story. It was an initial annoyance, and if it had been the last, it might be a movie that I'd look back on from a different perspective. Considering all that followed, however, I won't watch Armageddon again for the sake of simple principle

Aesthetically it's much duller than any Michael Bay movie. It's the cast that make the film.

My favourite Bay film is PAIN & GAIN (his first genuinely good screenplay), so I don't see his career as any kind of regression. Connery aside, I don't really have any real attachment to THE ROCK. Give me FACE/OFF any day.

Empire sucks!

Says Rebel Alliance t-shirt.

Karol

Hah! I get it! That's pretty damn funny. (Just one more thing Lucas should've added to the SE when he had a chance. . . !)

How does a 'terrible' movie make $300 million in three days? http://www.polygon.com/2014/6/30/5857506/Transformers-bay-300-million

Some interesting points raised. The closing one is probably the closest to the truth.

Michael Bay understands the secret sauce of white 'Murica, there's no doubt about it.

All what i can get out of this is how Bay makes art, pardon, pop art, because these movies are needlessly inflated at 160 minutes. What's more, the palpable awe the author seems to feel at the shrine of the almighty Dollar shrouds any sensible judgment of the aesthetic and contentual impact these monsters deliver beyond their eye and ear candy - women are bimbos, great, disgusting racial caricatures, the heck, even the chinese laugh at them, military worship, awww come on...

It's not that i see T1-4 as threat to humanity or something, but that all these very warranted objections are brushed aside because Michael Bay just wants to be a global artist for the common folk seems a tiny bit offensive to my weary eyes.

I didn't get the impression that the author/s fawned all over the director, the series, nor its success. Seemed more like honest acknowledgments more than anything. A bunch of objective unprejudiced musings, I'd say. An acceptance that these movies deserve to exist, that even trash has its place and appeal.

Well, objective it certainly ain't. It basically lines up some objections, acknowledging that they exist but hurries to move past them, never even considering that a lot of hateful time and effort has gone into developing them. It has only one objective which is the huge BO that somehow seems to excuse everything.

It's like saying that car crashs need to happen because thousands of people love to gloat at them.

Lol no. Actual car crashes don't rake in billions of dollars at the box office.

But I agree that they do put a positive spin on the phenomenon. Which I have no issue with.

Because I think that's what it boils down to really - that positivity surrounding these movies irks your personal sensibilities and even irritates you. Which is also fine. But when the only product of that is venom and ire towards Bay and his movies on your part then it suggests you take the often puzzling tastes of others far too seriously, I reckon ;)