-

BloodBoal

Wrong! everything that happens in Westeros is because Jon Ayren was killed. And we didnt even see it on screen!

No! Everything that happens in Westeros is because Rhaegar Targaryan kidnapped Lyanna Stark!

And fathered Jon Snow?

Nothing that has occurred in Westeros south of The Wall, that we have been told or shown, is responsible for drawing the White Walkers down from their northern exile on a (really really slow) collision course with the Seven Realms, which of course pushed the Free Folk to unite and break against The Wall too. In that regard, the actions of Houses Targaryen and Arryn only set in motion part of the story.

And fathered Jon Snow?

Is that your own speculation, based on the TV show?

I remember, when the issue of Jon's mother was first raised way back in the first couple of episodes, eagerly anticipating the revelation - both of who she was, and why Ned was so determined to keep it a secret. Then we got nothing! And now, by Season 4, the question seems to have slunk away into the background...

I never once believed Jon was really Robb Starks son.

Why would anybody think that?

I never once believed Jon was really Robb Starks son.

Why would anybody think that?

Just had a feeling.

I bet ya Jon is some Targaryan child founds in the ruins and Robb took a pity to him.

Perhaps the Red Woman knows....hmm....

You mean Ned Stark (Sean Bean), not his son Robb, but you admit to not being up on all the show names.

There is a fascinating theory that agrees with the notion that Jon Snow is not Ned's son. He is still related, but to also another great house, which suggests Ned brought him north to protect the infant baby from those who would kill to him. This could easily be proven when the time is right.

You nailed it.

Robert's Rebellion kicked off when Rhaegar Targaryen, the heir to the Iron Throne, kidnapped Lyanna Stark, the sister of Ned and Brandon, and the betrothed of Robert Baratheon. She died in the presence of Ned, and...I digress.

On his return to Winterfell, Ned brought back his own bastard son, Jon. Wars last longer than nine months when it takes one to ride from the capital to Winterfell.

This is all speculation, not spoilers, but seven gods, it makes sense.

It's also worth noting that the precise events around Lyanna's departure with Rhaegar have never been recounted in the books or show by a first-hand witness. The depiction of it as a "kidnapping" or "abduction" comes via Robert's perspective.

Ned, being the only good and honest man, was highborn, and Westeros society permits highborn men to father bastards. He thus had a way to preserve his own honor, but more importantly, that of the dead, too.

That means Jon Snow is the most interesting man in the world.

So, yeah, my favourite Episode 9 is in Season 7 when it is finally revealed, to the shock of the viewers and Jon Snow alike, that Jon isn't Rhaegar's son after all. This will transpire when Jon attempts to waken his dragon powers by stepping into a bonfire, but only ends up as Jon Toast.

So, yeah, my favourite Episode 9 is in Season 7 when it is finally revealed, to the shock of the viewers and Jon Snow alike, that Jon isn't Rhaegar's son after all. This will transpire when Jon attempts to waken his dragon powers by stepping into a bonfire, but only ends up as Jon Toast.

Actually, this season Jon jumped through fire and came out without a singed hair!

And fathered Jon Snow?

Is that your own speculation, based on the TV show?

I remember, when the issue of Jon's mother was first raised way back in the first couple of episodes, eagerly anticipating the revelation - both of who she was, and why Ned was so determined to keep it a secret. Then we got nothing! And now, by Season 4, the question seems to have slunk away into the background...

In retrospect, I should have realized that when Ned told Jon that he'd tell him about his mother the next time they were together, that that was foreshadowing that they'd never be together again.

• 11 months later...

They used up all the Season 5 money in Hardhome, so the dragons in The Dance of Dragons will unfortunately be made of cardboard, with cleverly integrated cigarette lighters used to simulate their fiery breath.

Ned's shock execution was the real TV game changer and so I can't possibly vote for anything else. But the Red Wedding was more thrillingly sensational than it and still one of the best things I've ever seen on TV.

I dont think they are adhering to the classic "episode nine is the climax" formula from the previous 4 seasons. And it credits them

The Hardhome attack came out of nowhere in what we assumed was just a standard episode. GOT works best when it sneaks up from behind and slits out throat

Oh, yes, the surprise of Hardhome was really, really cool. The problem is that the sequence was so awesome that the big event of episode 9 felt a bit tame in comparison (at least to me).

Yeah that White Walker and wight attack is hard to top this season.

This season's episode 9 is unique in that its dramatic dragon finish was wholly predictable from the moment it all kicked off.

And there's nothing wrong with that I think. It's a moment the fans of both the books and show have been awaiting for years. It's one of those classic payoff moments that are incredibly fulfilling despite its predictability.

This season's episode 9 is unique in that its dramatic dragon finish was wholly predictable from the moment it all kicked off.

And there's nothing wrong with that I think.

It was rousing and satisfying. But it makes me wonder if Martin will play on that sort of traditional expectation for the grand finale.