John Williams scores - by Film Studio

Jay

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Crossed Tom Sawyer off the list. I wonder if Quartet will do Fiddler on the Roof next. Or is the OST already complete?

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
2 hours ago, Jay said:

Crossed The Lost World and Jurrassic Park off the list!

Really? 

11 hours ago, Jay said:

That's no excuse for not looking at your post after submitting, realizing something's wrong, and fixing it. 

LOL. 

• 6 months later...

Just a couple of technical points, Jay:

1) LucasFilm is not a studio.  It is a production company, holding no distribution rights.

2) CE3K was not produced by Sony, it was produced by Columbia. Yes. I know that Sony bought Columbia, but in 1976/77, it was still Columbia.

3) 1941 was a Columbia/Universal co-production, so...it should be on both lists :)

4) THE MISSOURI BREAKS was produced by United Artists, still a major studio, at that time.

If you want to get really technical, SUPERMAN was made by Dovemead, and acquired by Warner Bros, on a "negative pick-up" deal. At least, that was the plan :lol:

15 hours ago, filmmusic said:

Just a reminder to cross of Stanley and Iris too. ;)

Ooh thanks, totally slipped my mind!

14 minutes ago, Richard said:

Just a couple of technical points, Jay:

1) LucasFilm is not a studio.  It is a production company, holding no distribution rights.

For the purposes of this list, its all about who a specialty label would have to work with, so for all those Lucasfilm movies they would have to work with Disney, but I don't want to lump the old Lucasfilm movies under the Disney headline since they weren't Disney at the time.  I like Lucasfilm having its own section.

2) CE3K was not produced by Sony, it was produced by Columbia. Yes. I know that Sony bought Columbia, but in 1976/77, it was still Columbia.

Same reasoning as above.  If a label wanted to release a new version of CE3K, they'd have to work with Sony.  There's no reason to maintain separate Columbia and Tri-star lists, it just makes sense to keep them all under Sony.  I can put Columbia / Tristar in the header just for you 

3) 1941 was a Columbia/Universal co-production, so...it should be on both lists :)

No reason to double it up, its fine to just be on one list

4) THE MISSOURI BREAKS was produced by United Artists, still a major studio, at that time.

Same reasoning as the first two, Kritzerland had to work with MGM to make a release happen.  I will add United Artists into the headline just for you

If you want to get really technical, SUPERMAN was made by Dovemead, and acquired by Warner Bros, on a "negative pick-up" deal. At least, that was the plan :lol:

Who gives AF?

Sorry for my curt manner, I was having a bad day.  I thank you for engaging me to improve the list with additional information

On 2017-6-16 at 10:14 AM, Richard said:

...and you're an administrator.

I expected more from our "leaders", but if that's the way JWfan is going, we'll all just have to expect less.

Jason has been weirdly absent in the last few weeks. He's let things slide.

On 16/06/2017 at 3:13 PM, Jay said:

Sorry for my curt manner, I was having a bad day.  I thank you for engaging me to improve the list with additional information

Don't mention it, Jason. Truth is, I'd had a bad day, as well, so...(tears welling)...I love you, man!

Sometimes I can be a real pedant, but cinema means so much to me that I just want to get it right. Know what I mean? SUPERMAN is owned and distributed by Warner Bros. End of.

They are some who will try to destroy him. They go by the name of Zimmerites. That is why we must hide him in the Stable subforum, until the coming of the Three Magi (Melchriccone, Bernstheinzar and Caspland) and their gifts of complete score releases. And we must also remember what the prophecy told us: we he reaches manhood, he will be betrayed by one close to him... A man that will go by the name of Judacchino...

• 2 months later...

Added THE POST to FOX and removed READY PLAYER ONE from WARNER BROTHERS

Also crossed off Pete N Tillie because I apparently hadn't done so yet (thanks @Disco Stu!)

Nice work, Jay. I was on the verge of starting a "What Williams scores are left to expand?" thread at FSM but after seeing this I probably don't need to bother. That said, a few corrections:

Hook can definitely be improved on a future release as it was imperfect and done before the Williams/Mattesino partnership was solidified.

Diamond Head, Images, and Monsignor were all just reissues of the existing LP programs -- perhaps all that was possible, but (similarly to SpaceCamp) they certainly don't qualify as "expanded in the modern era".

Some things also appear to be missing...are you avoiding television scores?

Yavar

You're completely right that the 2012 Hook isn't up to the standards of Matessino presentations, but it has been worked on by a specialty label so I think it should stay crossed off.  Obviously at the rate MM is plowing through the Spielberg/JW canon (about 2 per year now) it won't be long until he gets to that one!

I know that Diamond Head, Images, and Monsignor were LP reissues, but there doesn't seem to be any indication that anything beyond that remains any more in any studios archives.

And yea, its just a list of film scores

14 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Hook can definitely be improved on a future release as it was imperfect and done before the Williams/Mattesino partnership was solidified.

Unfortunately I can't see another attempt at Hook (by Matessino) until the Ultimate War session tapes show up. In all likelihood that'll never happen, as they were probably stolen. How there weren't secondary masters or mixes of those cues, I'll never know (using the film stems are a last resort, so they obviously had their reasons).

I do wish Matessino had handled that release though. It was flawed for more reasons than just the Ultimate War audio quality but MM might have ironed out the problems with sequencing and omitted inserts.

I think you should cross-off Sergeant Ryker from that list.

Besides the fact that it was an edit of 2 Kraft Suspense Theater episodes, most of its music was not specifically composed for it.

It was tracked from another unrelated episode of that series.

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?forumID=1&pageID=1&threadID=93204&archive=0

• 9 months later...
On 9/2/2017 at 12:34 PM, filmmusic said:

I think you should cross-off Sergeant Ryker from that list.

Besides the fact that it was an edit of 2 Kraft Suspense Theater episodes, most of its music was not specifically composed for it.

It was tracked from another unrelated episode of that series.

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?forumID=1&pageID=1&threadID=93204&archive=0

That is some cool info, thanks filmmusic.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hmm, good question, it was a made-for-TV film so sort of doesn't, but its still a movie and has a great score, so kinda does.  I dunno

I just thought of something.

14 years passed between when Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban was in theaters (2004) and we got an expansion of its score (2018).

16 years passed between when Star Wars was in theaters (1977) and we got an expansion of its score (1993).

What a time to be alive!

Phantom Menace was the quickest, 1 year from 1999 to 2000.

Then Home Alone 2, 10 years from 1992 to 2002.

A.I. ties with Azkaban at 14 years, 2001 to 2015.