The Sum of All Fears

Hey, now that the Sum of All fears is officially in theaters, who has seen it? I just did, and let me tell you, it was awesome. The acting was superb, and the score was magnificent. Goldsmith's score worked wonderfully. The Russian cues were very effective. I am going to buy the score as soon as I can after it comes out on June 4th.

~Conor

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ummmm sorry but I totally disagree with this guy. Not only did I find the movie BORING as ever, it had so many plot holes at SEVERAL points during the movie I actually had to laugh very loudly at the magnitude of how ludicrous it all was. The audience I saw it with seemed to agree.

I think this emoticon should accurately describe my feelings on this one: :mrgreen:

As a HUGE Clancy fan, I was intially very excited about this film. Even though the other 3 films (Hunt for Red October, Patriot Games and Clear and Present Danger) did deviate from Clancy's original novels, it wasn't anything drastic (well, except for a few minor things :roll: )

But, after hearing the MAJOR plot changes in this new film, it seems the only thing that was from the original novel was the superbowl. (did they at least keep Denver?) Ben Affleck as Jack Ryan is very unappealing (both Baldwin and Ford fit the roll IMO.) My excitement dwindled significantly.

I will still go to see it, but will try to completely divorce that this was based off of one of Clancy's most gripping novels (the last 200pages was non-stop nail-bitting, edge of your set action.)

I am really looking forward to Goldsmith's score though. This ought to be good! Can't wait to hear it.

Jamesyboy - who thinks Clancy is the BEST techno-political thriller writter to date!

I don't read Clancy'es stuff but my dad does. . .That doesn't stop me enjoying films "based" on his books. I can't wait to go see it. But my luck always makes me have to wait in line to see an opening movie.

I'll wait a few days and then see it...But it lookes way awesome

I have recently been in a Russian mode. Not that I'm Russian or that I particularly prefer them, but I've been trying to play or write a song that sounds Russian. I couldn't, and still can't, but Goldsmith's score has exactly what I was trying to do. I wish that I could compose that well. I'm only a frosh in high school with no formal music training, so that may be a reason that I can't write for beans. Oh well.

~Conor

ooooohhhh! THFRO's score is SO GOOD! I absolutely loved the hymn in it. I played it in HS. . .Beautiful arrangement: (clarinet cham. register!)

*Post contains possible Spoilers

This movie scares the shit out of me. I felt exactly as I did last fall while I was watching the middle piece of it. This *Could* happen. I believe the release date for this movie was pushed back. It could very easily have come out BEFORE that attacks because it was filming about a year ago. The excellent book of course was written about a decade ago. Nothing in this movie came from September 11.

Now that I've said the worst, I think the movie was extremely well made. I walked out of the theater with the same feeling (strangely) I did after I saw Contact. That is, wishing there were more movies like this one. I really like stories that just sort of build and build with multiple characters, multiple scenes, and multiple subplots.

Liev Schreiber was awesome as Clark. Definitely different from Dafoe's interpretation. Freeman was excellent too. Ben Affleck was once again playing Ben Affleck. He works well in the film though.

I was surprised to see Michael Byrne (who played Colonel Vogel in IJ &The Last Crusade) in the role of Spinnaker. Poor guy always plays Russians and Germans. His character finally turned out good, but still menacing. I kept expecting him to say, "And this is how we say goodbye in Germany...." LOL

Jerry Goldsmith's score will soon be in my collection, rest assured! The operatic singing in the beginning was a unique touch, but I enjoyed the pounding orchestra in the background more. I really found myself pumped at certain cues, like when they're evacuating the stadium. (It's in Baltimore in the movie, and not Denver from the book. Sorry Jamesyboy) In the beginning, mostly Goldsmith's music is used in short transition pieces. Later in the movie the music seemed to be used more. Anyways, you can't beat Goldsmith music to airplanes taking off! That's all I have to say.

I would recommend this movie.

I absolutely loved this film. Though the plot is somewhat disturbing (considering it is possible), it makes for a great, provocotive movie. the only complaint I have is that Ben Affleck had to play the part of Jack Ryan. He's an ok actor, but i think that he gives the movie too much of a sappy, chick-flick feel (this is very minimal considering the story-line).

the score, i must say, was extremely good. i most certainly will buy the score when it is available; which, i might add, will be my first goldsmith score (aside from a star trek cd that has goldsmith, horner, Alexander Courage, and Dennis McCarthy). one thing that i noticed, and i may be wrong, was that goldsmith cleverly wielded his score from russian scenes in Air Force One into certain russian scenes in Sum of All Fears. Though i'm sure some people will think that he should have composed new material for those parts, i believe that he did a fine job tieing it in and giving a cold, russian feel to the scene.