Michael Giacchino's STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS (Varese 2CD Deluxe Edition)

Jay

a20791f14769f4cd67f363_l.jpg

a20791f14769f51d01ff3_l.jpg

Star Trek Into Darkness: The Deluxe Edition
SKU: VCL-1150
UPC: VCL07141150
Artist: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
Title: Star Trek Into Darkness: The Deluxe Edition
Composer: Michael Giacchino
Release Date: 07/28/14
Release Info: Limited Edition Of 6,000 Copies
STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS: The Deluxe Edition

Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

Music Composed by Michael Giacchino

2 CDs

It’s here! Star Trek fans and Michael Giacchino fans alike have been clamoring for this one! Varèse Sarabande is proud to present our Deluxe Edition 2-CD set of Giacchino’s epic score for Star Trek Into Darkness, now featuring two hours of Michael’s soaring score!

Last summer, before heading to a galaxy far, far away, pioneering director J.J. Abrams delivered an explosive action thriller that took Star Trek Into Darkness. In the wake of a shocking act of terror from within their own organization, the crew of The Enterprise is called back home to Earth. In defiance of regulations and with a personal score to settle, Captain Kirk leads his crew on a manhunt to capture an unstoppable force of destruction and bring those responsible to justice. As our heroes are propelled into an epic chess game of life and death, love will be challenged, friendships will be torn apart, and sacrifices must be made for the only family Kirk has left: his crew.

Composer Michael Giacchino — an Academy Award winner for his score for Up — reunited with director J.J. Abrams to steer the Enterprise through its darkest territory yet. This summer Giacchino is represented in theaters by his newest score for Dawn of the Planet of the Apes.

Limited Edition of 6000 copies

Price: $26.98

Catalog #: VCL 0714 1150

Disc One:

1. Logos / Pranking The Natives (2:58)

2. Spock Drops, Kirk Jumps (1:43)

3. Undersea Enterprises Inc. (1:33)

4. On The Bridge And On The Rocks (1:42)

5. Sub Prime Directive (2:23)

6. London Calling (2:11)

7. Demotion Emotion (:53)

8. London Falling (2:33)

9. The Pride Of Iowa (:43)

10. Astronomical Manhunt (2:12)

11. Man vs Blaster (1:55)

12. Meld-Merized (2:41)

13. Admiral Exposition (3:23)

14. Personal Space (:45)

15. So Long Scotty (:57)

16. Chief Concern / The Moral Mission (2:15)

17. Covert Carol (:38)

18. Galactic Road Trip (1:16)

19. Torpedo Diplomacy (2:19)

20. Spock And Uhura (1:05)

21. Klingon Chase / Meeting (5:03)

22. Harrison Attack (2:46)

23. Harrison Brought Onboard (2:00)

24. Harjugal Visit (2:04)

25. Damage Control (1:18)

26. Scotty’s Floored (1:36)

27. Torpedo Tango (1:08)

28. Cryo Your Heart Out (:17)

29. Harrison's Heart / Enter The Vengeance (3:44)

30. Mom’s Calling (2:19)

31. You’re Not Safe At Warp (:35)

Disc Two:

1. Kirk’s Last Stand (2:24)

2. Guns Down (1:07)

3. Chair Of Command (:57)

4. You Wanna Do What? (1:58)

5. Pull The Trigger (:27)

6. Ship To Ship (2:53)

7. Hallway Fight (1:33)

8. Head Games (1:48)

9. I’m Gonna Make This Simple (2:47)

10. Human Popsicles (1:18)

11. Earthbound And Down (4:19)

12. Warp Core Values (2:57)

13. Max Thrusters (:57)

14. Buying The Space Farm (3:20)

15. Go Get ’Em (1:13)

16. The San Fran Hustle (5:05)

17. Kirk Enterprises (2:57)

18. End Credits (8:43)

19. Ode To Harrison (6:36)

20. Ode To Vengeance (6:29)

http://www.varesesarabande.com/servlet/the-1184/Star-Trek-Into-Darkness-cln-/Detail

http://www1.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm/ID/27668/

http://www.moviemusic.com/soundtrack/M09485/startrekintodarkness/

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.9058/.f

I know this is already being discussed in the Varese Club thread, but this deserves its own thread.

I am of course super excited that this release is coming out, because it's a great score, and because the OST was so short, and I'm glad there's a market for expanded scores that are only a year old.

However, I am a big befuddled by two choices made for the final product here!

One is that Giacchino's intended original end credits suite is missing, replaced by the film edit of the end credits. This means the new recording of Spock's Theme is replaced by music tracked in from London Calling and Ode To Harrison like in the film. A big bummer that nice recording won't get a legal release, especially since the full London Calling and Ode To Harrison are on the CD anyway (Ode To Harrison in the very next track!)

And secondly is that an entire cue, "Spock to Spock" is missing on this release. That's the music for Spock's conversation with Spock Prime, and featured a great new version of the Vulcan theme.

You can here both missing cues in this youtube video (I apologize for not having timestamps handy, but I will try to post them later)

Why on earth did <whoever chose to omit these two pieces> omit these two cues? Why!? Why!?

Better yet, where's the music from the original opening to the film? That piece along with any other alternate(s) they could find would have been the only thing Varese could release in order to one-up the complete score bootleg. Instead they chose to offer us less than what we could already hear on YouTube. And the thing is, there's still going to be a half hour of free space on each disc!!

After the incredibly thorough deluxe edition to Nemesis, I expected far more from this release.

Edit to add: Does anyone even like the cover?

Great point. Totally forgot to mention that. This release would have been the perfect opportunity to release the IMAX versions of the prologue cues. Damn shame those aren't included as well.

This release seems just as rushed as the ST09 DE.

It will probably be 20 years till we get a definitive release of both scores.

Is Giacchino's original end credits suite included in the YouTube leak? I heard Courage's theme, then Spock's theme, then Giacchino's theme--*almost* exactly like the ST09 end credits minus Nero's theme. What else is missing?

Is Giacchino's original end credits suite included in the YouTube leak? I heard Courage's theme, then Spock's theme, then Giacchino's theme--*almost* exactly like the ST09 end credits minus Nero's theme. What else is missing?

Yes, it's in the youtube leak. The whole Spock Theme's section was replaced in the actual film with music tracked in from London Calling and Ode To Harrison. I wish we knew exactly why they chose to do that.....I mean I guess it would make sense if they weren't including Ode To Harrison at all, but they are!

Can't buy in the UK :(

Of course you can. I provided links to four different online retailers selling it in the main post.

Ya not sure why Giacchino nixed "Spock To Spock"...maybe for better listening experience. It's easily fixable with the leak so I'm not worried about it. As far as the End Credits go, I too find it a bit puzzling that it's the film version but again not worried about it.

I just wish Lukas Kendall had been involved with this and Trek 09 D.E. then maybe they would have been complete... I'm also glad that it is in a regular jeweled case this time and not an abomination of a case...

You can't assume Giacchino is the one who nixed it. We have no idea what went on behind the scenes of this release. Could be an error made by someone low on the totem pole that no one higher up noticed!

It's just a shame we'll get a film edit of cues that draws heavily from the very next track on the CD (Ode To Harrison), instead of the full end credits assembly Giacchino had recorded. Oh well. Not the end of the world.

Can't buy in the UK :(

Of course you can. I provided links to four different online retailers selling it in the main post.

and it looks like anyway on the original Varese link you can. (The one from the original Varese thread).

On this note and in spite of the P&P making me weak, I'm in like Flint.

Ya not sure why Giacchino nixed "Spock To Spock"...maybe for better listening experience. It's easily fixable with the leak so I'm not worried about it. As far as the End Credits go, I too find it a bit puzzling that it's the film version but again not worried about it.

I just wish Lukas Kendall had been involved with this and Trek 09 D.E. then maybe they would have been complete... I'm also glad that it is in a regular jeweled case this time and not an abomination of a case...

Maybe he prefers the film version? As simple as that?

Karol

It's a shame that whenever a composer prefers one version of something over another (or whatever the reason is really that one version of something with multiple versions is selected), that the alternate version(s) aren't made available in a bonus track section. Especially on an expanded re-issue aimed at collectors and fans of the score.

The tracks that were on the OST... aside from "Star Trek Main Theme" being the film edit and "Earthbound and Down" being the three cues, are they otherwise identical? IE no omission of Courage's theme in "Sub-Prime Directive". Did they get that much right, at least?

How would anyone know that? No one has received it yet.

I'm just thinking aloud.

Who knows if the End Credits is the film edit? The timings might match, but that's not conclusive proof.

It's a shame that whenever a composer prefers one version of something over another (or whatever the reason is really that one version of something with multiple versions is selected), that the alternate version(s) aren't made available in a bonus track section. Especially on an expanded re-issue aimed at collectors and fans of the score.

Hey, Jason. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the original end credits missing material just basically a reprise of Spock material that we already know from the first score? If so, I prefer the film version - feels more relevant to this score.

As for the other missing cue. Aside from a nice brief quote of Spock theme, it is really nothing special. It's more Picking Pockets situation, rather than Neverending Feast insert.

In other words: cheer up. Life's good. :)

Karol

Yea, it was the same arrangement at the first score, but it was still the nice new Iwataki recording that blows away the original Wallin recording. And the film tracks in London Calling and Ode To Harrison instead of it. Why not just include both versions on the set? Put the original end credits, the IMAX cues, and other odds and ends in a bonus track section. That would have been the best solution.

Yes, of course it would.

But it's an almost complete set released just a year after the film. It's a sort of a miracle, really.

Karol

Agreed. It's a great positive trend overall.

It's just a shame that for both films, the sets come so close to being complete, yet aren't. It's more frustrating than if they were only 1 disc expansions, ya know?

But any time a film already had an OST sequenced by the composer at the time of a film's release, the expanded release that comes out later should be completely complete, IMO. If the composer wants some cues removed from the flow of the main score for listening purposes, they should still be available in a bonus track section. IMO.

Well... I agree, of course. Especially that it might be the final release of this work. And there are some scores I feel very attached to that might frustrate me by some omissions. But this particular one is good enough for me. Same with the previous one.

Karol

This release looks to be about 99% there, and 2 of the 3 omissions are understandable (original end credits, because the film version is what everyone knows, and the IMAX London Calling because it was not the final version of the cue).

The only cue I take issue with being missing is Spock to Spock, which is mystifying in its absence.

I'm not going to be shedding much of a tear, however, as everything else is there.

If they did it right with the material presented, I will be a very happy man overall.

I am likely to give my OST to a good home.

Got to hear this and the sound is great!

That said, the End Credits are indeed the film edit and you'll definitely need Part 2 from the bootleg to make a complete score... you'll also need both of the other End Credits cues as well. You'll need Part 1 for a clean opening because the Deluxe Edition opening is crossfaded with the end of "Kirk Enterprises." You'll need Part 3 because the film edit didn't use the full opening of the cue, or at least, the DE doesn't.

Varese doesn't know its target audience!

They do just a lot of times they're not like Intrada and La-La Land (and even FSM when they were still around) do.

Got to hear this and the sound is great!

That said, the End Credits are indeed the film edit and you'll definitely need Part 2 from the bootleg to make a complete score... you'll also need both of the other End Credits cues as well. You'll need Part 1 for a clean opening because the Deluxe Edition opening is crossfaded with the end of "Kirk Enterprises." You'll need Part 3 because the film edit didn't use the full opening of the cue, or at least, the DE doesn't.

The full version of Part 3 is also on the OST as "Star Trek Main Theme".

This set does have the choir. Found another crossfade between "Logo / Pranking the Natives" and "Spock Drops, Kirk Jumps." It appears to be the only other one on the album.

Thinking on the film edit of End Credits as presented here... I'm starting to wonder if "London Calling" was meant to be used in the End Credits and Giacchino simply recorded a clean ending for it to transition to Ode To Harrison (ala "Matter, I Barely Know Her" appearing in the ST2009 End Credits). It might originally have gone thus:

End Credits (Part 1)

End Credits (Part 2)

London Calling (with new ending)

Ode To Harrison

End Credits (Part 3)

The reason I think this is because that transition sounds too clean to simply be reverbed. Even if the percussion was recorded separately, the gong roll would have been interrupted by the tom/bass drum hits.

This set does have the choir. Found another crossfade between "Logo / Pranking the Natives" and "Spock Drops, Kirk Jumps." It appears to be the only other one on the album.

Funny, they're separate on the OST. Guess I could use the OST versions in my personal edit.

If they are combined in the film, I could combine "Logo / Pranking the Natives / Spock Drops, Kirk Jumps" instead.

Kirk Enterprises and the End Credits will likely be combined as a single track. That way in the film, so it would fit.

In the film "Logos" is actually separate from "Pranking The Natives" but up to you if you want to keep those two as a single cue like on the OST. However "Pranking The Natives" is definitely separate from "Spock Drops, Kirk Jumps" as it is that way in the film. I'm puzzled as to why it was chosen for those two to be joined...especially the way it is because it cuts off that initial deep drum hit at the beginning of "Spock Drops, Kirk Jumps".

Varèse at least did a good call on having "Kirk Enterprises" flow into (gapless) "End Credits" since it's that way in the film as well.

I tried to check how many copies are available from Varese and, according to the message, they've got 1364 copies left. If true, this is a really fast seller.

Karol