• Black Sunday
    • Close Encounters Of The Third Kind
    • Star Wars
    • The Fury
    • Jaws 2
    • Superman The Movie
    • Dracula
    • Jane Eyre

Can you think one one score longer than 90 minutes that can be boiled down to a completely satisfying 40 minutes?

I reckon Jaws 1 & 2 would still be pretty satisfying with a really economical edit.

Actually I wouldn't mind if Jaws & Jaws 2 were 90 minutes each.

Can you think one one score longer than 90 minutes that can be boiled down to a completely satisfying 40 minutes?

Cutthroat Island

Really? Which 40 minutes would you choose?

According to Joey's legislation, if anyone chose a score that he deems incorrect, they will be severely punished!

Is scorn punishment? I haven't called for torture or beheadings.

1941 is a score in need of a lot of ass kissing on this board. It's so fantastic.

Posters here should be saying to 1941....I didn't know. I DIDN'T KNOW!

In an act of defiance, I change my vote to Images! A superior score to the correct choices in every way.

According to Joey's legislation, if anyone chose a score that he deems incorrect, they will be severely punished!

Is scorn punishment? I haven't called for torture or beheadings.

1941 is a score in need of a lot of ass kissing on this board. It's so fantastic.

Posters here should be saying to 1941....I didn't know. I DIDN'T KNOW!

Yea, I didn't get into that score until way later than I should have.

I was well into it in 1979.

Same here.

Ditto, it's got that blockbuster sound down. And Swing Swing Swing.

If I could vote for just the first act of Superman: The Movie, that'd probably win. But the score (like the movie) takes quite a turn once the action reaches Metropolis and it never quite recovers.

So with Superman out of the running, it's a pretty close call between Jaws, Star Wars and Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

Jaws wins with its simplicity, its bravura and its sheer sense of fun all the way through. Great score and a true classic.

If I could vote for just the first act of Superman: The Movie, that'd probably win. But the score (like the movie) takes quite a turn once the action reaches Metropolis and it never quite recovers.

COMPLETELY agreed!

That is the most repeated, persist and frankly ridiculous argument in JWFan history.

Superman is a perfect score. One of JW's most diverse, stylistically and thematically. It's nonsense like the opinions above that make Superman The Movie as one of the most underrated JW scores ever! (together with Jaws)

I am with the people that vastly prefer the first portion of Superman: The Movie. On the Rhino and FSM versions, I could listen to the first disc and be completely happy (except for missing the Love Theme concert version)

What did JW do wrong for the second half of the film?

For me, there's a lot of repetition - so much repetition - of the Superman theme in variations that aren't particularly interesting to me. And the Villains March which I don't particularly care for as a theme. I agree with the people above that it fits the movie fine, and also that the second half of the movie is a bit "less than."

COMPLETELY agreed!

Ack. I also remember actually liking that part of the film.

That is the most repeated, persist and frankly ridiculous argument in JWFan history.

Superman is a perfect score. One of JW's most diverse, stylistically and thematically. It's nonsense like the opinions above that make Superman The Movie as one of the most underrated JW scores ever! (together with Jaws)

It's probably the least of all of JW's big blockbuster scores.

It's probably the least of all of JW's big blockbuster scores.

No, that title would belong to a Harry Potter or an Indiana Jones score from the 2000s.

Never Potter, and I don't even rank KOTCS as a blockbuster score.

How can you only like the first half of the Superman score? He isn't Superman until the second half! The first half is short on action cues, which the second half gets very, very right.

Without the second half, it's not Superman. It's great scifi/fantasy and Americana, but it's not "Super" until Part 2.

Superman: The Movie is perfection from beginning to end. If you don't agree, you should be banished to the phantom zone in that mirror thing, where they only play Hans Zimmer. The fuck has happened to JWFan? No one quotes Star Trek and apparently everyone hates Superman: The Movie. Might as well just shut this place down.

Considering that The Love theme is perhaps the single greatest piece of John Williams perfection I have loved this score for 36 years. It's as familiar as an old friend.

The fuck has happened to JWFan? No one quotes Star Trek and apparently everyone hates Superman: The Movie. Might as well just shut this place down.

I'll tell you what. It tells me that goose-stepping morons like yourself should try WATCHING films instead of QUOTING them!

Nobody quotes Star Trek? No, nobody quotes the TV show. People are content to just quote the first six movies ad nauseum. I'd rather read a thread of Steef sighing.

Better yet. A sub-forum.