What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guardians of the Galaxy. A typically weak villain aside, this was pure escapism. It's been a while since I saw something this fun at the movies (last was maybe Tintin?), so much so that I'm planning on watching it again. I think I read a comment from one of you that this is a cross between Star Wars, Hellboy, and Serenity. I will agree to that. This could have been a 5 starrer if they had managed to juggle the near perfect tone/direction and cast with a stronger villain. Not that it matters much though when it's so much fun.

That deadpan Drax guy was a hoot.

The Guardians of the Galaxy: I really enjoyed this one without having any prior knowledge of this particular corner of the ever expanding Marvel universe and it was probably one of the most comic book like of the super hero movies from the Marvel saga thusfar in terms of spirit. In a way departure from Earth bound troubles gave it an interesting dimension. There is an awful lot of humour, which happily fits the characters quite well and they do mine it from their personalities and quirks and how badly they initially work together. But a lot of it helps to make the galaxy rattling events of the film not so onerous and gloomy. Great actors all around and even the animated ones seem to have genuine heart to them, which I guess means that the director/writer succeeded in suspending my disbelief for 2 hours. Also the film is written so that while Star-Lord is the main character all the others in the group are knitted in so that it does not feel that the writer/director is obviously offering them equal screen time but it all flows rather naturally. It is obviously a comic book story with all the blow heart grand standing and megalomanical fanatical villains but the film does it all with such glee it is fun to watch. Not a modern day Star Wars by any means in terms of impact but I found this movie simple old fashioned fun escapism.

The Marvel Studios and their films have become this juggernaut that churns super hero universe films left and right and this movie felt just one more expansion to that bigger web of stories. The Infinity Stones are slowly coming together for the great Thanos saga I guess but it makes me wonder how many of these films will there be before they get to that absolutely ridiculously scaled piece of pure comic book extravaganza.

And now for the usual film score lament/sermon of the day: Tyler Bates' music is largely wall paper and at times I wondered why did they even use music for scenes where the score battles millions of sound effects at the same time and is in effect used to plug any possible sonic holes in this carpet of sound. People should learn how and importantly where to use music to the best dramatic effect and not whisk it at every scene and see if it sticks.

Saw Galaxy Of The Guardians. Overall, I though it was a little bit too much of everything, too noisy and jittery. Ultimately, I'm left with an experience that is too airy and fleeting, but ... I liked it (7/10): lots of humor, colorful and fun characters (yes, I loved the raccoon), elaborate settings, pure Saturday matinee escapism. In short, it's the new Flash Gordon (there's really no more need to remake that one, I suppose)! Also, the movie reminded me of Hellboy (2004). It feels like it's been made in the same spirit (similar vibe, tongue and cheek humor, dark yet colorful, a wild variety of crazy creatures and characters, et cetera). However, am I the only one who was losing attention during the big war battles with a gazillion flying objects? At that point I thought it was as boring as a Star Wars prequel. I'm much more in favor for scenes like 'Earl' and his whistle controlled arrow. Wasn't that great?! Anyway, that's my biggest complaint, the rest of the movie is really okay. Guardians Of The Galaxy is easily one of the best Marvel movies to date.

Alex - somehow slightly disappointed

It's Hollywood law to end on a big battle with spaceships, you know that. It was passable here, but really the last great spaceship battle finale was Independence Day, 20 odd years ago. That battle had excellent action storytelling. Avatar also got quite close, but the fireworks went on too long.

Not good enough, Marvel.

I'll be trekking out to the theater tonight to see GOTG with a bunch of friends, can't wait.

The Long final battle with a million explosions in the sky is primarily what made Iron Man 3 a thumbs down for me. I strongly prefer the older Marvel films to the newer ones...

I think the final acts of Iron Man 1 & 2 are way better than 3's.

I didn't care for The Avengers overall either, again mostly because of the endless third act (but also because of really weak villains and their motivation)

The special effects in Guardians are at least superior to those other movies, so there's that. But yeah, some other way of ending these movies on a crescendo (if they must) needs to be considered.

I think the final acts of Iron Man 1 & 2 are way better than 3's.

I have to respectfully disagree. Can't remember the first film's final act, and the second one is outdone by Monaco sequence, easily. The finale of the third film compromises logic of script somewhat, but at least it's funnier. And yes, I do like the scene when Paltrow kicks Guy Pearce's ass. And at least there is no robots fighting in there - now that's boring.

Karol

Anyone else looking forward to The Expendables 3? But worried about the cast though. Ford, Banderas, Gibson, Grammer. These are actors with actual credibility...

I was, until I learned they'd knocked it down to a kiddie friendly PG rating. Part of the fun of the previous two movies was the insane cartoon violence, and with that significantly censored this time I'm thinking I'd rather not watch The A-team starring Stallone and Arnie.

Maybe the blu will have the 'uncensored' version, in which they insert the cg blood and dismemberment.

yea, I recently saw that Expendables 3 was PG13 after the first two were rated R, and kinda thought to myself "WTF?"

I've never seen any of the them.

I can't even remember what happened in the first one.

Btw, this post has just taken me nearly 5 mins to post after pressing submit. The site has been really, really slow for a couple of days now. Last night it failed to load at all. Karol told me he's experiencing it too.

Guardians of the Galaxy

Meh. It was fine I guess - fun, funny, and no doubt a GREAT cast (something Marvel has consistently gotten right in all of their films). The characters were great, and definitely unique. Loved Rocket and Groot the most, and Drax too. Quill and Zoe Gamora where kind of generic. All the villains and supporting characters where really great, especially Lee Pace as Ronan (took me half the movie to figure out it was Lee Pace!), Michael Rooker as the father figure, John C Reilly, Glenn Close, Karen Gillan, and even Josh Brolin as Thanos for 3 quick scenes.

The beginning of the movie was very off-putting, for like 10-15 minutes you are repeatedly introduced to one character after another after another and it was a ton to keep up with. Eventually it settled down into a fairly straightforward plot though. The pacing was fine, and action scenes were fine, everything was really just that - fine. The weakest part is the script, not the actual dialogue spoken but the plot. It was absolutely NOTHING original, and was kind of a lot of The Avengers in a lot of ways.

You're gonna have a good time at this film, but there is nothing groundbreaking here. It's very similar to all the recent Marvel movies.

Teenagers are going to absolutely love it.

I can't even remember what happened in the first one.

Oh stuff!

Explosions, fighting, people shot in the face!

The first film had the right idea, but didnt quite have the cast and/or budget.

The second one gets it right! Its fantastic.

Not sure about the third.

I've enjoyed both so far, even went to the pictures to see 'em with my other half, she loves cheesy macho action movies almost as much as me which is great!

But yeah, that PG rating is a bit of a downer.

Anyone else looking forward to The Expendables 3? But worried about the cast though. Ford, Banderas, Gibson, Grammer. These are actors with actual credibility...

I am actually. Haven't seen any of them yet, but the trailer for the third made it seem like such a damn good time, and at this point it's hard to think of someone who isn't in it. Seems fun. Maybe not "pay for a theater ticket to see it" fun, but "watch it later" fun.

Only Spielberg gets away with gore at that rating though, Jason. They'll be no fists ripping hearts out in this, sadly.

Temple of Doom was rated PG, not PG13. And that was 30 years ago.

I would not call the heart ripping scene in Temple of Doom "extreme onscreen brutality"

Plenty of Daily Mail readers would. And for once they might have actually been right.

Does anyone ever expect anything groundbreaking from a Marvel flick?

Yeah, typical fodder is what they do, and have been doing for quite some time. You have to admit they're good at it as well.

Karol

It is a bit like reading their comics. You know what you are going to get and they usually more or less deliver.