What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Odd really, because AOTC isn't even bad in a kitsch kind of way, which might have explained it. The fact he loves Bold and the Beautiful doesn't explain it either, because that's a different kind of shit again. Maybe Drax just loves all varieties of manure. Hmm, yes, that would explain it! 

carol-film.jpg (580×464)

Carol

Actually saw this in the theater Saturday night.  Reminded me why I prefer to just watch everything at home almost always these days; The sound started cutting out 5 minutes into the picture, making us miss crucial pieces of dialogue.  Then it would seemingly be fixed, then 10 minutes later cut out again.  Frustrating.  They gave us free passes to see a future movie when it was over, luckily.

Anyway, the movie is actually really good.  I thought it might be another Brokeback-type "two people want to be together but can't because of society" movie, but it isn't that; then I thought it might be another "a women must choose between personal happiness or sacrificing that for the sake of her family" but it isn't that; It's much more nuanced and unique.

Cate Blanchett and Rooney Mara are both very good, but so is the entire supporting male cast (with the exception of Kyle Chandler, who is just way too over the top almost all the time unfortunately).  Even Carrie Brownstein from Portlandia shows up for a microscopic role that I have to imagine was either cut down in editing, or is a character that plays a bigger role in the novel (she gets a first and last name in the end credits).

The cinematography is gorgeous, and the slow deliberate pace of the entire film really draws you in.  The film is full of closeups which helps with that as well.  You are engaged with the story the whole time and it ends up being a good one that avoids a lot of cliches.  Nice film.

10 hours ago, Richard said:

A brave comment, indeed, Drax, and it will probably turn out to be true.

To be awfully honest, it made "TPM" look like a fucking masterpiece.

you're so funny.

8 hours ago, Quintus said:

Odd really, because AOTC isn't even bad in a kitsch kind of way, which might have explained it. The fact he loves Bold and the Beautiful doesn't explain it either, because that's a different kind of shit again. Maybe Drax just loves all varieties of manure. Hmm, yes, that would explain it! 

Horse manure's not that bad. I don't even mind the word manure. It's newer, which is good, and a ma in front of it. Ma-Newer. When you consider the other choices, manure is actually pretty refreshing.

Deadpool

It's not as funny as I hoped it would be. Ryan Reynolds takes ample opportunity to poke fun at the X-Men franchise, himself, and everybody else -- lots of ad-libbing, CGI blood spurts and breaking the fourth wall. Unlike Green Lantern (which also gets skewered), this is a role that fits his comedic persona to a T. But Tim Miller and writers Rhett Reese & Paul Wernick have trouble balancing the tonal shifts between comedy and traditional superhero antics. Ed Skrein mainly smirks his way throughout, while Morena Baccarin is the damsel-in-distress. T.J. Miller was a pleasant surprise though.

It's a light diversion, and should've been better. Maybe the sequel will really go for it.

Zoolander 2 - not quite as funny as the first, but nowhere near the car-crash some reviews have pegged it as. Still a fair few chuckles to be had ... any movie where Justin Bieber is machine-gunned to death in the first 5 minutes is all right by me.   

I have walked out on movies too and I switch off a lot of movies after 20 minutes or so (or shows after 1 episode). Zoolander 2 supposed to be really shitty.

The only film I ever walked out of was A Civil Action, but that was more because the girl I was there with wanted to leave ;)

I wanted to walk out of Kill Bill 2 but I was the driver so I had to sit through it all. Fuck it was long. Other than that I fell asleep during Tomorrow Never Dies, I don't know how it ended. Had my gf told me she was hating Mad Max I'd have headed for the car. 

I don't think of it that way. The first one was a live action manga cartoon and the second was another indulgent ramble through Tarantino's obsession with movie revenge and his pseudo philosophical take on it. I say pseudo because the love affair he had with his own dialogue ultimately made the revenge feel unauthentic. It was just another exercise. 

In this instance I definitely prefered the shallow and marvellously stylistic action over the 'deeper' ruminations of a sequel which I thought didn't require any of the exposition or expansive character purpose to begin with. It was the sequel to a movie I hadn't watched. 

2 hours ago, Quintus said:

In this instance I definitely prefered the shallow and throwaway marvellously stylistic action over the 'deeper' ruminations of a sequel which I thought didn't require any of the exposition or expansive character purpose to begin with. It was the sequel to a movie I hadn't watched. 

It's one movie that was split in half so audiences wouldn't have to sit in one spot for 4 hours.

43 minutes ago, Quintus said:

One "half" is really snappy and light; the other revels in grandiloquence and soon becomes monotonous. Big difference as far as I'm concerned. 

Anyway, none of this matters. 

Yep. KB Vol. 1 is tremendous fun, Vol. 2 is ponderous crap. 

5 hours ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

I'm still not sure I buy that when each half is so distinctly different by design.

We just discussed this in some other thread a few days ago. When the film first premiered in Cannes, it was one film. There's nothing to "buy" about it. It's one movie that got split up and rearranged a little bit.