What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 17/04/2016 at 7:05 PM, Stefancos said:

Who played the hero?

According to the film's Wiki page, more than 10 people played Henry including the director himself (Iiya Naishuller). 

The only 'name' actors in it are Tim Roth (really only a cameo appearance) and Sharlto Copley. 

Watched the Hateful Eight yesterday.

I must admit that the music distracted me several times (and the suddent cut of it in two particular scenes).

Did Tarantino employed Morricone for playing a joke? Or to make a kind of parody?

I liked the movie... but didn't find that the Morriccone music, except for the main title, was not a great relevant addition.

I have the feeling that the poor old Morricone put the best of him in this score... but that Tarantino employed him just because he still write 60's music... like he always did... and like he will always do.

3 hours ago, Bespin said:

I have the feeling that the poor old Morricone put the best of him in this score... but that Tarantino employed him just because he still write 60's music... like he always did... and like he will always do.

Ahem...

So Morricone parodied himself to "fit" the desires of Tarantino to make a new "old " far-west movie (but in the snow).

2 hours ago, Michael said:

Ahem...

I'm deeply sorry but when I hear that, it's "dated". It's doesn't sound like music from 2005.

3 hours ago, Bespin said:

I'm deeply sorry but when I hear that, it's "dated". It's doesn't sound like music from 2005.

Which is a rather good thing, no? Also, for someone so hell-bent on Williams who also is not exactly the most hip of composers this comes as a rather odd statement.

I didn't wanted to hurt anyone. All I wanted to say finally is that we must not take the movie seriously... as the music.  They go together well even if the edit of the music disturbed me in two particular scenes (but we can't blame Morricone for that).

The slow-motion horses scene with the singing girl in background... that was so sixties!

29 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

You are surprised that Tarantino does something retro?

No, but I was not expecting it as much from an original soundtrack.

Tarantino always used old songs in his movies and brillantly (he even use a Roy Orbison track at the end of the movie! yeah!).

But the original soundtrack.... I think not all composers would have been game to plunge into that kind of project.

Moreover, is it not his first movie using an original soundtrack?

2 hours ago, Bespin said:

The slow-motion horses scene with the singing girl in background... that was so sixties!

That's tracked from Morricone's Exorcist II score.

Exactly. Bespin's wording just sounds a bit ignorant. Neither the music nor its use are blatantly tied to a bygone era, it sounds a bit idiosyncratic (as is expected with Morricone anyway).

1 hour ago, publicist said:

Exactly. Bespin's wording just sounds a bit ignorant. Neither the music nor its use are blatantly tied to a bygone era, it sounds a bit idiosyncratic (as is expected with Morricone anyway).

Well i'm here to learn, i hope you are here for that too.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Charles Aznavour is far more dated!

Sure. At 91 years old we don't expect anything else!

Well, j'arrête ici. I don't say like the others, I never did, I will never be a part of the flock and I love it! bêêêê :-)

The Drop

It's character study first, and crime drama second. I really like Tom Hardy's work here, it's nuanced and his Brooklyn accent is flawless. There's nothing wrong with his showier fare like Bane or Mad Max, let alone Oscar bait like Lawless and The Revenant. It's just nice to see him play a restrained character for once. Noomi Rapace is expectedly good as well, but her role doesn't give her the kind of range like Girl With the Dragon Tattoo did. I wasn't a fan of the late James Gandolfini ("The Sopranos" rubs me the wrong way), but he wasn't bad here. Marco Beltrami's score is also quite good too.

I wish this had gotten more attention when it came out. It just seemed to come and go.

Eye In The Sky - tense drama with Helen Mirren, Aaron Paul and (in his final role) Alan Rickman which examines the moral and political complexities involved in the use of drone strikes in modern warfare. 

The Huntsman: Winter's War

Wholly unnecessary sequel. Some of the plot elements don't make much sense, but it's not a bad movie. First time director Cedric Nicholas-Troyan has a decent eye for visuals. Phedon Papamichael's lensing is lush, highlighting Colleen Atwood's costume work and production design. VFX is a bit iffy in places (especially the troll sequence), but since Joe Roth produced it, not really surprised. Charlize Theron doesn't get much screentime, but she got paid $20 million to act bitchy and phone it in. Emily Blunt and Jessica Chastain are significantly better, giving gravitas to a two-dimensional script. As for lead Chris Hemsworth? He's good in ensemble films (i.e. The Avengers), but lacks the charisma to truly carry a movie on his own. Like with Snow White & The Huntsman, the supporting actors steal the show.

James Newton Howard's score avoids most of the synthetic grinding and electronics from the previous film. But it's mixed really low in the film itself, which is disappointing.

Keanu

The best gangster kitten movie of all time.

I prefer dogs but I love them both. I dislike litter boxes.

hail-caesar03.jpg (1280×720)

Hail, Caesar!

Disappointing Coen Brothers effort.  They assembled a great cast as usual (Josh Brolin, George Clooney, Ralph Fiennes, Jonah Hill, Scarlett Johansson, Frances McDormand, Tilda Swinton, Channing Tatum, Wayne Knight, Christopher Lambert, David Krumholyz, Fisher Stevens, Alex Karpovsky, Clancy Brown, Robert Picardo, even Dolph Lungren).  But most everyone in the movie only actually has only 1 or 2 scenes!  Only Josh Brolin and George Clooney keep re-appearing throughout, and only Tilda Swinton and a bunch of communists have more than 2 scenes.

There's about 30 minutes of plot here, padded out to 2 hours with a ton of tangential side-scenes.  It's essentially about Josh Brolin's character running a film studio and running around fixing various problems that come up over the course of the roughly 30 hours the film takes place during.  The biggest problem is that a movie star played by George Clooney is kidnapped by communists for ransom money.  But along the way as he goes to visit a movie set for something, and the movie shows us the scene they're filming for a while, be it a music number with Channing Tatum, Ralph Fiennes trying to get a cowboy actor to say lines properly in a prestige drama, a synconized swimming scene with Scarlet Johansson, or whatever else.

It had moments of fun but overall is a drag and not very compelling.  It's predictable too.  Worth watching to see the cast do their thing (and occasionally chew the scenery) but don't expect it to have any rewatch value.

It held my attention throughout but isn't a shining star in their terrific filmography