What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

The score for Clooney's speech and the other movies within the movie was fun!

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When the sub was sinking I knew the music would end abruptly right when the last light went underwater

Wild-Tales.jpg (620×349)

Wild Tales (Relatos salvajes)

Absolutely terrific Argentinian film that was actually up for the Oscar for Best Picture two ceremonies ago.

It's actually six separate stories that don't connect at all except thematically: Each is a different story that has revenge as a component of it.  The opening story is the best, with several people on a plane realizing they are all connected in an interesting way.  The final story of a crazy wedding day is the second best, along with the terrific story of two guys on a isolated desert road that have an escalating confrontation.  I also loved the over the top lunacy of the parking ticket story, and the diner story was well-staged with some nice twists.  The weakest story is the one with the son that hit-and-ran a pregnant lady... it was good throughout, but had a weak ending.  I was expecting some kind of twist where the son was in on it with the lawyer as a way to get money, or someone wanted that lady dead for an ulterior reason or something, but instead it just kinda... ended.

The whole movie is great with terrific music throughout (both original score and lots of source songs).  Highly recommended to anyone who likes dark, twisted movies with a comedic twist!  I loved it!

2 hours ago, Woj said:

Or an acquired taste. 

Sounds like a disease. 

brooklyn_1sheet_mech_7r1indd-770x470.jpg (770×470)

Brooklyn

Nice little movie about a girl who comes to America from Ireland for work, and ends up with some tough choices to make in the third act.

In the first act we are introduced Eilis and her life in Ireland.  It doesn't take long before she's on a boat to America.  I was expecting the part on the boat to be glossed over like in most movies, but its actually an important part that defines a lot of her character and experiences.  Man, what a rough trip those rides were back then!  In Brooklyn she comes to live in a boarding house of all women run by Miss Kelly, a nice fun character in the film.  Eilis doesn't seem to like her life and spends most of this part of the film very quiet, which I thought was an odd choice for your main character.  

But then in the second act she finally meets Tony at an Irish dance event, and a romance ensues.  This part of the film was nice, as I enjoyed the chemistry the two characters shared.  Also the best character in the entire film is shown here:  Tony's little brother who was like 8 year old and absolutely steals every scene he's in - he was so funny!  I hope that actor stays in the game!  

In the third act, Eilis goes back to Ireland for a funeral and a wedding, and then has to make the tough choice of staying there in her old life, or embracing the new life she's started in Brooklyn.  This is built up nicely with her having to make an actual tough choice, but unfortunately the film very quickly ends with a kind of odd interaction with a character who pushes her in one direction and a really abrupt ending.  Basically, I felt like I had watch Night 1 of a 2 Night miniseries, and would be seeing the other half of the story next, but that's not the case; this is it.

Overall its a nice film, nothing wrong with it. The acting is good, the score is good, the set and costume design is immaculate (you feel like you're in 50s Brookyln the whole time).  The major problem is that I went into this film knowing it was a nominee for BEST PICTURE of the year from the Academy.  This is not Best Picture material here!  It's a nice film, but not one that deserves that kind of praise.

56 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Arent we past the point where we correct each other spelling?

Aren't.  Hold down arent and tell your phone it's not a word. 

3 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

A Serious Man is hilarious.

3 hours ago, Stefancos said:

I havent seen A Serious Man. Some say I should avoid it, while other say it's a brilliant, captivating film.

It's their best movie after No Country within the last 15 years.

4 hours ago, nightscape94 said:

It's their best movie after No Country within the last 15 years.

Easily, though Inside Llewyn Davis is on the same level, in my opinion. 

• 3 weeks later...

"The film centers around a tower block that is insulated from the outside world. As the infrastructure fails and tensions between the lower and upper floors escalate, the residents become violent and the situation spirals out of control."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-Rise_(film)

The book is by JG Ballard, author of Empire of the Sun