What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

11 hours ago, TheWhiteRider said:

So like Snowpiercer, but vertical and stationary instead of horizontal and mobile?

In basic concept? Yeah, kind of. But this isn't an action adventure type of film.

Never realised it received such a mixed response. But it's more like the reviews of Titus. Some people just don't get it and thus label it as incoherent. But I appreciate a film that at least makes an attempt at creating something for me to actively participate in, rather than over-explain itself. Not sure if it was that profound but at least I was intrigued.

And the retro brutalist production design is just ace. Good score by Clint Mansell as well. Might be his best actually.

Karol

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On May 2, 2016 at 2:21 PM, Jay said:

Brooklyn

The major problem is that I went into this film knowing it was a nominee for BEST PICTURE of the year from the Academy.  This is not Best Picture material here!  It's a nice film, but not one that deserves that kind of praise.

I suppose I agree but funnily enough, I actually liked it more than just about everything else that was nominated for an Oscar last year. Probably after Mad Max and Room.

Ant-Man

Fun little movie, with the usual Marvel 3rd act problems and uninteresting villains. It was breezy fun, but all the Avengers stuff was noticeable shoehorned and the movie would've been all the better if all those references were totally absent (maybe one of the reasons Joe Wright left the project)? The cast is very good and I dare say this is the first Marvel movie with a great theme. That thing really is infectious, can't stop listening to it

On 26.5.2016 at 6:58 PM, TheWhiteRider said:

So like Snowpiercer, but vertical and stationary instead of horizontal and mobile?

I want to see it, and I hope it's not very much like Snowpiercer, which I thought was horrible.

7 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I want to see it, and I hope it's not very much like Snowpiercer, which I thought was horrible.

Why horrible? If you can't even appreciate its ambition than you are only encouraging more Hunger Games variations.

8 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Snowpiercer was intriguing but terribly uneven. This film explores similar themes and has a same sort of retro-futuristic feel. That's it.

Karol

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

The Prequels were ambitious, that doesn't make them any less horrible.

Is that the sort of cinema you prefer, Alex?

I have news for you, I never thought of the prequels as "horrible". The prequels always balanced between not good and not bad, between ... two extremities. Horrible is an extremity.

Alex

19 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Why horrible? If you can't even appreciate its ambition than you are only encouraging more Hunger Games variations.

I loved the first 20 minutes or so, but the longer it went on, the more it turned into a parody of itself, becoming more and more far fetched and cranking up the style while throwing all the apparent substance over board (I'm strongly in the "style can be substance" camp, but not it the style is empty and the actual plot is ridiculous). After the opening I fully expected to love it, but I only ended up being disappointed.

(And I liked most of the Hunger Games series, but the last part was seriously lame and largely subverted what I had the impression was genuine about the earlier installments)

I loved the first 20 minutes or so, but the longer it went on, the more it turned into a parody of itself, becoming more and more far fetched and cranking up the style while throwing all the apparent substance over board

See, its comic book style was one of its more interesting qualities, I thought. I liked that it went a bit Terry Gilliam the further in we went, it was quirky. I wouldn't go as far as calling it a parody, though. 

As for The Hunger Games, I've only ever seen the really good first film there. Is that where I should stop? I heard they get progressively worse.  

I loved the first 20 minutes or so, but the longer it went on, the more it turned into a parody of itself, becoming more and more far fetched and cranking up the style while throwing all the apparent substance over board (I'm strongly in the "style can be substance" camp, but not it the style is empty and the actual plot is ridiculous). After the opening I fully expected to love it, but I only ended up being disappointed.

(And I liked most of the Hunger Games series, but the last part was seriously lame and largely subverted what I had the impression was genuine about the earlier installments)

So it wasn't really horrible? There were things about it that you liked but ultimately you were just disappointed? To be honest, that sounds like less of a cry for more Twilight, Maze Runner, Divergent and The Hunger Games type of cloned SF.

The Nice Guys. Some flourishes of the trademark Shane Black snarky/sarcastic humour, but not enough of it to really elevate this from "above average" to "really good". It's easiest to compare this to Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, which is obviously the film this one wants to be. The writing, while it has its moments, isn't as sharp as KKBB though. But the biggest failure are the two leads -- Gosling is ok, but Crowe is terrible. Is this the first time he is in a comedic role? It should be his last. He has no comedic timing, and very little chemistry with the rest of the cast, including Gosling, especially in the first half or more of the movie. It does come together quite gloriously in the end -- the hotel room scene is the one sequence in the movie where everything works. From the humour to the characters on screen all syncing up. But it comes too little and too late. 

11 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

So it wasn't really horrible? There were things about it that you liked but ultimately you were just disappointed?

I liked the first 20 minute or so, as I said. I laughed at how absurd I found the finale, and I didn't have the impression that I was meant to (and if I was, it wasn't a film I was interested in and they got the opening wrong). If you don't want to label that as "horrible", let me change it to crappy and shallow.

8 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

"I think he's kinda hot, sir!"

Plus my recent discoveries. Who knows what more can be found after more viewings?!

On Sunday, May 29, 2016 at 4:08 AM, Lonnegan said:

So, not really "the funniest movie in a decade" as the advert on the radio said, then. 

It has Ryan Gosling...a horrible Disney child actor.

1 hour ago, TheWhiteRider said:

MOS had no funny moments.  BVS definitely had genuine chuckles. 

It had one. Singular.

X Men, it was an okay effort. I was entertained. Crimson Peak was a beautiful looking Gothic film but it was less than the sum of its parts. It missed something. 

X-Men: Apocalypse

I actually had a really good time with this one. I loved it and found it more enjoyable than Captain America: Civil War. I was surprised to see it wasn't actually very well received. Oh, well, I enjoyed it, so I don't really care. It was a good popcorn-munching flick.

I agree. It's probably the best of the 3 big Superhero films to come out this summer. More coherent then BvS, and unlike Civil War it's actually heroes fighting bad guys rather then a bunch of people who really like each other having a big play-fight.

Exactly! Bit creating a "civil war" out of what is essentially a difference of opinion is artificial. I never got the impression that if the guys just calmed down and stopped to think they would all have worked it out during a Schwarma dinner

5 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

While I don't disagree, Joe, I did enjoy Crimson Peak. Even gonna get the Blu-ray when the price is right.

I enjoyed it as well but it's still missing something. I can't think of a single fright but it's such a beautiful looking film and the score was pleasant.

3 hours ago, crocodile said:

Black and white conflicts are not interesting, Stefan. 

Karol

There is nothing black and white about Stark and Roger's disagreement.

The Nice Guys ... Shane Black throws some Big Lebowski/Boogie Nights-style freewheeling quirkiness into his usual buddy-buddy action-comedy schtick, and the result is a very entertaining flick indeed :) .

On 6-6-2016 at 3:11 PM, JoeinAR said:

I enjoyed it as well but it's still missing something. I can't think of a single fright 

I'm actually glad that Crimson Peak went for something different. It's not a traditional horror movie. Even though it has a haunted mansion, it's not the typical haunted mansion attraction/ride. Think of it more as Gothic Fiction ( a fantastic Gothic story set in a macabre setting) ... or Dark Romanticism.

Alex

4 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

I'm actually glad that Crimson Peak went for something different. It's not a traditional horror movie. Even though it has a haunted mansion, it's not the typical haunted mansion attraction/ride. Think of it more as Gothic Fiction ( a fantastic Gothic story set in a macabre setting) ... or Dark Romanticism.

Alex

And I appreciate it for that. It's a great costume picture. 

On 08/06/2016 at 10:50 AM, Stefancos said:

How was Hiddleston? any traces of James Bond in his acting?

Not in Crimson Peak, no. The recent BBC adaptation of Le Carre's The Night Manager, however ... 

Last night I tried to watch The Revenant, but I stopped it after 45 minutes, I simply fall asleep.

Will try to continue it today.

I watched it in VFQ (Quebec french version) and the voice of the French trader (around 30 minutes in the movie) bothered me a lot. 

You must to know that here in Québec, there a two main language level : the "international" french, that's the one we learn in school and wrote. That's also the one we speak on television and in the movies. The other is the Québec slang, le "joual". The "joual" can be incomprehensible for a foreigner that usually understand France French.

All the VFQ are usually done in "international" french, and so that's the language level they used for all the characters of the movie, except the main french trader who instead speak a very vulgar and modern "joual".  Well, certainly not the language that 1820's french canadian spoke then...

So that disturbed me alot.

Today I continue the movie in his Original Version with French subtitles. :-)

In the Original Version the trader's translator is a Québécois, but he speaks international french. The main trader is from France and speaks a very Parisian French. No "joual" so I'm happy!