What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 hours ago, publicist said:

(like phonetically singing a song in the wrong language and never getting the intonation right)

Are there any specific songs you remember that did this?

See the soundtrack listing here of course:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_La_Land_(soundtrack)

5 hours ago, Will said:

Are there any specific songs you remember that did this?

The best i can say is that they were sufficient but hardly inspired (or inspiring). More like generic bar room jazz tunes.

11 hours ago, publicist said:

The best i can say is that they were sufficient but hardly inspired (or inspiring). More like generic bar room jazz tunes.

Hmm. I don't feel the same way you do, but it is interesting to hear a different perspective given how overwhelmingly positive the reaction has been. 

I am really not a fan of musicals but i have seen a lot of classic ones (forcedly as a child) and some recent stuff like 'Chicago'. One thing i hand to MGM: they knew how to make them and frankly, i'd rather watch 'Show Boat' or 'An American in Paris' 50 time before i would watch La La Land again:

Well, @publicist, to be honest I haven't watched old musicals, really. So I can't compare. I just know that I enjoyed La La Land's music immensely -- and I know that many others who have watched old musicals did too. 

Just finished watching LA LA LAND...

I'll start with the good:

The cinematography and lighting were amazing, though after seeing Chazelle's WHIPLASH this really came as no surprise!

I thought the ending was emoticon-0106-crying.gif and conveyed the "moral" of the film in an effective and memorable way (which for me goes something like 'you can't have everything in life'!). It was definitely my favourite part of the movie.

Now the not so good:

None of the musical numbers made a great impression on me. Most of it felt a little lifeless. For instance, I assume that the first musical number ("Another Day of Sun") was intended to energise the audience and get them in the mood for the rest of the film. It didn't do that for me. As soon as the first singer opened her mouth I felt something was off. The singing style felt somewhat detached from the images on screen, as if she was singing into the air rather than at the audience. The dancing felt tired too. It was missing that spark. It wasn't BAD. But it could've been much better. I think my favourite number was "A Lovely Night".

The composer, Justin Hurwitz, must've felt like he had a monumental task in writing all the music to the film. I thought he did reasonably well in recreating that MGM (+ jazz?) sound, but most of the songs were fairly forgettable. I did really like the main tune ("Mia & Sebastian's Theme") and the way that was developed in the "Epilogue", of course. But most of the melodies were too lacking in direction to make an impression for me. I could pinpoint the exact notes which troubled me but I'll probably come across as a grumpy, nitpicky loser! Most people seem to really enjoy it, so that must be a good thing. (By the way, Hurwitz has stated that he's a big Williams fan and that he hopes the melodies in La La Land impress him! :D)

I don't have much to say about the acting or story, apart from the fact that I didn't have much of a problem with it. However, the tone felt quite subdued and introverted for most of the movie, more so than I expected.

Overall, mixed feelings. I'd give it a 6/10.

On 21-1-2017 at 6:47 AM, Hawmy said:

Split

Quite an interesting film. I need to watch Unbreakable now haha.

Actually, I didn't know Shyamalan had a new movie. Must have missed the trailer. The style looks a lot more serious than The Visit though.

Everyone endlessly going on about La La Land makes me not want to watch it. It's one of those luvvie movies like The Artist where the hype becomes so tedious that I eventually get put right off. 

I have a tendency too to kind of steer clear of things that are super popular. But ultimately, I'm starting to realize that is really pointless and needlessly contrarian. 

Just now, Stefancos said:

Yes! Ask questions! Challenge accepted norms!

Oh, of course. A valuable point. 

But you seemed to have made a typo that made it difficult for me to discern your meaning - that's what I meant. 

I generally love a good musical too, but it's not going to happen with this one now I'm afraid. Plus Ryan Gosling is alright by me ever since I saw him with Russell Crowe and in The Big Short. But he's buggered here as far as I'm concerned. 

5 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Say Will, do you like movies about gladiators?

Not particularly. I've never watched the actual Gladiator either. 

38 minutes ago, petaQ said:

The one with Russell Crowe, or Cuba Gooding Jr? 

I haven't seen either, actually. But I meant the Crowe one. Didn't even know the other one existed. 

Just now, BloodBoal said:

I've only seen the Cuba Gooding Jr. one. Didn't even know the other one existed.

:lol:

You managed to create a whole parody video of a scene from a movie you didn't even know existed? Impressive! ;)

Split - while this is sticking to being a psychological thriller, it's pretty good. But there's a silly lapse into OTT horror towards the end (and the final-frame revelation by way of explanation that the movie is meant to be set in the 'world' of one of Shyamalan's earlier movies is too little, too late).

On 1/23/2017 at 0:28 PM, Sweeping Strings said:

Split - while this is sticking to being a psychological thriller, it's pretty good. But there's a silly lapse into OTT horror towards the end (and the final-frame revelation by way of explanation that the movie is meant to be set in the 'world' of one of Shyamalan's earlier movies is too little, too late).

Honestly, the tie in should have been an after credits scene. Too bad Marvel is saturating the market with those.