What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Lego Batman Movie

I chuckled quite a bit at this movie, but no real belly laughs. Most of the humor mainly comes from Will Arnett's overly serious and pompous Batman, including the fourth-wall breaking narration. Some of the gags, including jabs at Ben Affleck and Suicide Squad, are pretty funny. One reoccurring gag involving a pivotal Jerry Maguire scene is quite clever. The movie acknowledges every iteration of Batman, including several snippets of Neal Hefti's "Batman" theme and a great in-joke with Billy Dee Williams voicing Lego Two-Face. 

At times it feels a bit too frenetic and self-aware, but it's a harmless diversion. Lorne Balfe's score is a much lighter version of Zimmer's Batman scores, even incorporating woodwinds in several instances.

New on Netflix is Bill Burr's latest special Walk Your Way Out. We lasted maybe 25 minutes before I turned it off. You can't go that long into a comedy special without laughing before you give up. It's awkward because it was filmed the week before the election, so it's full of why both candidates are terrible and why they should not win and, well, it's too soon to watch that type of material. I did like his jabs at my fellow fat people though. 

I Am Your Father 

Fairly interesting documentary about David Prowse's career leading up to Star Wars, his experience filming the trilogy, and the aftermath of his falling out with George Lucas over allegedly leaking word of Vader's death to the Daily Mail. The team has no involvement with Lucasfilm, so there is no official footage or music used, but the interviews with Gary Kurtz and Robert Watts are nice. They also suggest that the idea of Vader being Luke's father sprang from a casual remark Prowse made to the press before The Empire Strikes Back was greenlit. 

It's interlaced with a Spanish filmmaking team that want to right the "iniustice" of Prowse being replaced by Sebastian Shaw for the death scene in Return of the Jedi, and being kept in the dark about it until after the fact. Regardless of Prowse's physical attributes and acting ability not being what the filmmakers wanted for the two minute scene, his reputation of loose lips with the press made him a liability if he was involved. So the Spanish team prepares and films the death scene with Prowse and a replacement Luke, and shows this to a private screening, but Lucasfilm will not give them the legal rights to show it so we do not see it. It must be very closely guarded because I have not found it leaked on the Internet. It's a cheat, but on the other hand, it satisfies an old man's defiant wish. 

Capture-1.jpg (857×361)

Hidden Figures

Ooof, I heard good things about this one, but its not good.  Now, the underlying story it tells is a good an important one, and the film has its heart in the right place, but its simply not a well-made movie.  It feels very much like a Saturday afternoon tv movie that happened to draw in some A-list actors - this is definitely not a "Best Picture of the Year" film at all!

As I said the story is interesting, its about NASA trying get a man in space in the mid 60s after Russia beat them to it.  It was pretty interesting see how surprisingly old the technology was that they used - its actually a huge plot point that NASA was getting "an IBM" that could do calculations faster than a person.  This IBM took up an entire room and didn't even fit through the door, and when it arrived no one knew how to use it!  It wasn't even referred to as a "computer"; That's the term they used for the actual people whose job it was to sit at a desk all day and do math!

So that kind of stuff was neat but everything else failed!  The film highlights three black women who were very important to NASA at this time, and that is great and as I said  story that deserves to be told, but the film is just poorly made.  It's completely PG through and through, you don't even see people smoking and there are no n-words through around, or even anything harsher than a damn or two, which makes you feel like you're watching an afternoon TV movie as I said and not a proper film.

It's just directed poorly, whoever directed it couldn't make a cinematically interesting film to tell this story.  Everything just kind of sits there and is flat.  The film doesn't have a proper antagonist either;  The Big Bang Theory guy is kind of opposed to the main black women who becomes the first women to work in the task group working on the space orbit, but really in the end everyone is on the same team and he's not even a racist or anything, just jealous that he's smarter than her and isn't used to a women in the work place.

The film tries to deal with segregation and racism and some of it works and some of it doesn't.  By the fourth montage of the main character running across campus  to use the colored bathroom you realize the director doesn't know how to plot or pace the movie.  

There are individual sequences that are good, some good performances (I didn't mention Kevin Costner who is the head of the task force and is constantly chewing gum I am sure as a substitute for not being allowed to smoke in the film) but nothing is great, and I don't see why this film is nominated for Best freaking Picture other than a "make up" nomination for last year's racial controversies.

It's disappointing the film is so blah because the people whose story this film tells deserve a better film to tell their story!

John Wick: Chapter 2

Having not seen the first film (apart from scattered scenes), so I was a tad confused in places. The opening sequence is absolute gold, and it outdoes any of the Fast & Furious entries on the simplicity and mostly practical effects utilized. I was getting a little bit tired of the endless amounts of CGI blood and brain splatter by the end. (I wanted more of Wick killing bad guys with his bare fists and his car.) For a digitally photographed B-movie, the cinematography is actually quite beautiful with striking compositions.

Would not mind a third film.

Rings

This makes The Ring Two look good by comparison. And it doesn't help that the opening and final scene was revealed in the first trailer. Naomi Watts wisely sat this one out, but we get a bunch of good-looking twentysomethings, as well as Vincent D'Onofrio and Johnny Galecki. Not a good tradeoff.

Director F. Javier Guttierez tries to emulate Gore Verbinski, but he's hampered by a protracted and lame script. I mean, really, this is bad. The final scene has promise that the rest of the film fails to deliver.

On 16/02/2017 at 4:35 PM, Matt C said:

Rings

This makes The Ring Two look good by comparison. And it doesn't help that the opening and final scene was revealed in the first trailer. Naomi Watts wisely sat this one out, but we get a bunch of good-looking twentysomethings, as well as Vincent D'Onofrio and Johnny Galecki. Not a good tradeoff.

Director F. Javier Guttierez tries to emulate Gore Verbinski, but he's hampered by a protracted and lame script. I mean, really, this is bad. The final scene has promise that the rest of the film fails to deliver.

You paid to see this? I was exposed to the trailer before some other movie in the theatre a while ago, it looked like eyeball violence. 

4 hours ago, LampPost said:

Manchester by the Sea

Brilliant. Great acting. Great tone-setting. Great writing. Great directing. Full of many little subtleties which make the movie intriguing to watch all the way through.

Liked that, too. The other Affleck got all the family talent. 'Paterson', the recent Jarmusch is also a contemplative real people movie, but it might be too much of an odd duck for some (Kylo Ren daydreaming...?)

Denial_(2016_film).jpg

Intriguing filmic reworking of UK process that Holocaust denier David Irving filed against jewish historian Deborah E. Lipstadt calling him just that. The actors are superb (Spall and Wilkinson own this) and its a painful reminder of modern times. Irving now has a huge following on the internet and when you watch Wilkinson dissecting Irving's little and big lies, his plays with half-truths, his omissions, his deep-seated but also casual racism and anti-semitism and still, after all that watch Irving turning his defeat into a victory with the same twisted logic as a certain political leader it's actually sickening. 

^^^want to see that one myself

On 2/15/2017 at 11:38 AM, Jay said:

I thought the first film was terrible, and I liked other similar movies (Evelyn and American Ultra)

Liked John Wick for what it was.  Turn Off Brain entertainment.  Had a good time with it.

1 hour ago, publicist said:

Liked that, too. The other Affleck got all the family talent. 'Paterson', the recent Jarmusch is also a contemplative real people movie, but it might be too much of an odd duck for some (Kylo Ren daydreaming...?)

Denial_(2016_film).jpg

Intriguing filmic reworking of UK process that Holocaust denier David Irving filed against jewish historian Deborah E. Lipstadt calling him just that. The actors are superb (Spall and Wilkinson own this) and its a painful reminder of modern times. Irving now has a huge following on the internet and when you watch Wilkinson dissecting Irving's little and big lies, his plays with half-truths, his omissions, his deep-seated but also casual racism and anti-semitism and still, after all that watch Irving turning his defeat into a victory with the same twisted logic as a certain political leader it's actually sickening. 

Hmm. It looked like an Oscar-bait chore to sit through. But your testimony makes it sound intriguing. Might check it out.

6 hours ago, LampPost said:

Manchester by the Sea

Brilliant. Great acting. Great tone-setting. Great writing. Great directing. Full of many little subtleties which make the movie intriguing to watch all the way through.

Indeed. It's a subtle picture, but has more humanity than most films these days. Affleck will get his deserved Oscar for this.

3 hours ago, nightscape94 said:

Liked John Wick for what it was.  Turn Off Brain entertainment.  Had a good time with it.

Yea, but Evelyn and American Ultra were way better turn your brain off ultra violent shoot em ups.  I dunno why John Wick gets all the praise and the other two are never talked about

John Wick: Chapter 2. I think it was very entertaining. Watched the first one just yesterday. The second film has clearly a much higher budget and it's beautifully shot action film. Intellectually, there is, of course, nothing there, but it cranks up the ridiculous vibe the first one had and runs with. It's what every sequel should be... sort of like Raid 2 meets The Dark Knight. With a pinch of visual Skyfall splendour.

Karol

On 2/18/2017 at 2:13 PM, Quintus said:

You paid to see this? I was exposed to the trailer before some other movie in the theatre a while ago, it looked like eyeball violence. 

No.

I still wanted my money back.

21 hours ago, crocodile said:

John Wick: Chapter 2. I think it was very entertaining. Watched the first one just yesterday. The second film has clearly a much higher budget and it's beautifully shot action film. Intellectually, there is, of course, nothing there, but it cranks up the ridiculous vibe the first one had and runs with. It's what every sequel should be... sort of like Raid 2 meets The Dark Knight. With a pinch of visual Skyfall splendour.

Karol

Yeah, it's fun. 'Gun-fu' is fascinating to watch, and Reeves' action chops still seem undiminished at 52.   

3 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Yeah, it's fun. 'Gun-fu' is fascinating to watch, and Reeves' action chops still seem undiminished at 52.   

And of course, the film is directed and shot by someone who knows how to stage an action sequence. Given that Keanu does a lot of his work himself makes it even more impressive. I was surprised that he did all the drifting and shooting action at the climax of the last film pretty much all by himself,

Those films won't be too appealing to someone requiring a lot of plot or character work. But they're full of great actors in small roles and, similarly to Raid films, they are just masterfully executed in terms of action.

Karol

It's an action flick set in a version of our world where 2 men beating the shit out of each other in a train carriage doesn't immediately make the other passengers flee to another one ... if you're looking for 'deep' character/plot stuff, you're at the wrong movie.   

Arrival by Denis Villeneuve.

The worst photography I have ever seen in a recent movie. The worst sound effetcs too. And what to say about his many experimentations of the focus (between the first plan, the middle and the back). Terrible.

Is he really doing the Blade Runner Sequel?

This guy is really able of the better and the worst... but recently, more often the worst.

I just watched one hour and few minutes more.

Boring.

This movie at the Oscars? Ridiculous.

Villeneuve is at the base a maker of prententious and audacious documentaries (Course destination monde). His movies are still full of mannerism and they still are pretentious, but there is no control (we are far from Riddley Scott).  It's just bizarre things, bizarrely executed. The guy is really fucked-up. Not my cup of tea.

A portrait of Villeneuve, in french, put that in Google translate...

http://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle/1018416/denis-villeneuve-realisateur-hollywood-portrait

LOL I just read this review title, that's exactly that!

“Arrival”: When boring humans meet boring aliens

https://lifeamongzillions.wordpress.com/2016/12/22/arrival-when-boring-humans-meet-boring-aliens/

Arrival a cerebral sci-fi drama adult audiences have been waiting for

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/film/film-reviews/arrival-a-cerebral-sci-fi-drama-adult-audiences-have-been-waiting-for/article32799733/

Maybe that's why people find it boring?

Lame documentary-like shot composition, poor action staging, ponderous exposition dialogue overwhelmed by even more ponderous music mix, brooding main character.

All your favourites are here!

Karol