What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

59 minutes ago, Quintus said:

I may yet still see Logan, purely because I'll never say no to the offer of a potentially quality new action movie, and just because I do really enjoy Jackman's charisma. Current ladies favourite Tom Hardy does absolutely nothing for me in Mad Max, I thought he was a blank slate of a lead throughout and wholly forgettable by the end. Perhaps someone like Hugh Jackman would have embodied the character of Mad Max much more effectively. 

I actually agree with that.

I've watched Logan last night. It was definitely different film and, for once, true to Wolverine character. Jackman now finally looks the part. His Wolverine was always too pretty and young. It has an emotional core and some really good stuff in it.... and yet I didn't love it. Not because it was bleak, brutal and mostly miserable. But because it didn't quite flow that well. I don't mind the slow pace but there was something off about this one. Like, for instance, there is an entire sequence of scenes in this when Logan passes out or falls asleep. In every single scene for the 15 minute (or it felt like it) running time. But overall it was good.

Karol

On 13/03/2017 at 7:08 AM, Jay said:

19-095942-the_final_logan_trailer_puts_x

Logan

Eh, it was alright.  It was absolutely better than a lot of recent superhero movies, but people need to calm down with the amount of praise its getting in some circles.  

Primarily it accomplishes being better than other superhero movies, by kind of only being a superhero movie by technicality.  Its really a road movie drama with action scenes.  The acting is great, at least by the 3 leads (Wolverine, X, and the girl) - all the other characters are pretty forgettable.  It was nice seeing Elizabeth Rodriguez from OITNB in a different role, and she was actually quite good too come to think of it.

The much discussed R Rating is kind of neither here nor there;  It does make the characters and fights a bit more realistic for sure, but say it had been a PG13 movie I think it would have been received roughly the same - the film doesn't live or die by its swears and violence, but rather whether or not you care about the characters.

To that point, eh, I kind of did, kind of didn't.  I definitely didn't get that emotional about the big deaths as some people claimed, in fact I didn't really care that much;  In the end, with these world of movies, there will always be reboots and prequels and whatever else so we'll see them again anyway.

The score by Beltrami actually enhanced the movie throughout;  It was nothing I'm remotely interested in checking out on its own, but I did notice it improving the film for sure.

I can't say this is anything anyone needs to rush out and see at all, but again I want to say it is indeed nothing like the superhero movies that are being overdone these days for sure, which is nice.

I haven't really been an X-Men fan all these years and I saw it twice. I really appreciate a film that's very focused and doesn't branch out with a thousand different subplots like some superhero movies are guilty of doing. And Beltrami's score is his first one in years I've been interested in seeking out on album, but it won't be out until the end of the month. Logan really won me over and provoked me to catch up on that series of films.

The Sense of an Ending -- It's an intriguing film but lacks an emotional catharsis and the constant time era shifting got on my nerves. Jim Broadbent and Charlotte Rampling were fantastic but deserved a script with better clarity and emotional depth. Michelle Dockery was wasted as Broadbent's pregnant daughter, which could've been played by any other British actress.

Power Rangers -- I actually enjoyed the Breakfast Club character scenes, though Dean Israelite and his DP greatly overdo the handheld aesthetic during the first half of the film. (Seriously, it hits Greengrass levels there.) Elizabeth Banks is a deliciously screwy and formidable Rita, very little semblance to the TV version save the name and one catchphrase. The five newcomers, particularly RJ Cyler and Becky G, have good camaraderie with each other. But it takes too long for the Rangers to get their power, and then the film rushes to the end with the huge CGI setpieces highlighted in the trailers. Those are actually much better shot and edited than Michael Bay's Transformers series, with a direct shot at that series in one scene ("Sorry Bumblebee!") Brian Tyler's score was mostly disappointing, more electronic than orchestral onslaught.

I've already forgotten a lot of what transpired in Logan.  I was entertained for 2 hours but its not a really special movie.

5 hours ago, Jay said:

I've already forgotten a lot of what transpired in Logan.  I was entertained for 2 hours but its not a really special movie.

So many movies I've seen in the last few years were awful, then Logan was a surprising break from that.

4 hours ago, Godzilla said:

So many presidents I've seen in the last few decades were awful, then Donald was a surprising break from that.

Wrong thread, Drax!

6 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

So, what we have here is a movie pretty much on the same level as Godzilla, with mostly the same strengths (good/decent music and good visuals) and same flaws (bland characters, inconsequential story).

I have not seen KONG: SI but i will staunchly defend 'Godzilla' and - up to a pint(meant point) - 'Jurassic World'. The first one has given me back faith in the term 'cinematically' (as far as big blockbusters go), the second one while much cheesier is at least competently entertaining. I will watch K:SI on Prime or something when it comes out but if it's comparable i will not complain.

The only complaint I have about Godzilla is Aaron Taylor Johnson and Elizabeth Olsen were dull as dishwater. I look back on War of the Worlds '53 and that film was helped significantly by having a charismatic pair lead the cast, even if they were a couple of nobodies at the time.

4 hours ago, Godzilla said:

Donald Logan?

The OA, Drax. That's what they have in common. And that's why you are a sucker for it.

My god, it's full of meaning.

2 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

They needed Harrison Ford or Sam Neil!

All movies nowadays do!

That's actually why they kinda screwed up by killing Cranston's character. The guy who took over the film was basically a supporting character.

The Great Wall...a bloated, CGI laden, misguided mess.  And it was awful CGI at that. How is it that movies coming out 15 years after LOTR don't look as good? The wall siege at Helm's Deep looked gritty and realistic. This looks like a cartoon.

Marginally entertaining if you're willing to shut your brain down for a couple hours, but so grossly "Hollywood" as to be groan inducing. 

That kind of "Hollywood" done well is actually a great time at the cinema, or in front of the TV as far as I'm concerned.

But I gather this doesnt do it very well?

Has Matt Damon been bashed for whitewashing Chinese history yet?

It's not really "whitewashing", more "white saviour syndrome".  But that really didn't, and doesn't, bother me.  I'm not particularly politically correct that way. :)

The score was decent.

Anyone see "Life" yet?

54 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

They needed to but some real Hollywood stars in that as the leads. An actor who puts his own screen personality on the role.

The Navy Seal guy wasn't that bad.

Yeah, pretty much like Last Samurai.

The live-action Ghost In The Shell is attracting similar flak for having Scarlett Johannson in the lead. Much like Nick it doesn't particularly bother me ... I just hope it's better than the last sci-fi action movie (outside of the Marvel flicks) I saw her in, the truly dreadful Lucy.      

55 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

So like The Last Samurai?

Yes, just like Last Samurai, only with Chinese people in brightly painted armour w/psychedelic colours and monsters that sorta look and move like the terror dog from Ghostbusters.

The girl is very hot though.

2 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

The OA, Drax. That's what they have in common. And that's why you are a sucker for it.

My god, it's full of meaning.

The OA?

Might need to clarify your post, sorry!

4 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

The Great Wall...a bloated, CGI laden, misguided mess.  And it was awful CGI at that. How is it that movies coming out 15 years after LOTR don't look as good? The wall siege at Helm's Deep looked gritty and realistic. This looks like a cartoon.

Marginally entertaining if you're willing to shut your brain down for a couple hours, but so grossly "Hollywood" as to be groan inducing. 

Didn't you see the trailer?

1 hour ago, Godzilla said:

The OA?

Might need to clarify your post, sorry!

Donald

Logan

You mean this "warning"?

Didnt it come with the tagline AVOID!?

his

Yes, I thought the trailer made that very clear. Trust your eyes, folks. Trust the trailer!