What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

6 hours ago, publicist said:

will staunchly defend 'Godzilla'....has given me back faith in the term 'cinematically' (as far as big blockbusters go)

Completely agree.

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not just a keen visual eye. Godzilla harks back to the day when action movies had the patience to properly set up and build up towards the action, like Jurassic Park or even Independence Day. The action in Godzilla is atmospherically set up and realised extremely well. Kong skips the effective build up and drops you striaght into the action. 

Godzilla may not be a classic but when it comes to its action it is a gem among its current peers. 

19 minutes ago, Hurmm said:

It's not just a keen visual eye. Godzilla harks back to the day when action movies had the patience to properly set up and build up towards the action, like Jurassic Park or even Independence Day. The action in Godzilla is atmospherically set up and realised extremely well. Kong skips the effective build up and drops you striaght into the action. 

Godzilla may not be a classic but when it comes to its action it is a gem among its current peers. 

I hope it gets a remaster someday because the blu-ray is awful. Compare the actual movie to selected clips on the blu-ray extras and the difference in brightness, contrast and gamma is startling. And it looked fine in the cinema.

7 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Hide contents

P.S.: On a random note: what's with that completely gratuitous gruesome death scene of the scientist? Came out of nowhere, felt absolutely random, and ended just like that, with the characters being like: "Hey, who gives a shit?". Didn't get it. I suppose he was meant to appear as a real douche, and this death was made gruesome so that the audience would cheer when that happens? Well, didn't work for me. The guy was never particularly douchey: he just wanted to get out of the island, like the rest of the characters. Reminded me of the death of Zara (Claire's assistant who's supposed to take care of the kids) in Jurassic World, another exaggerated and cruel death that didn't particularly felt deserved for the character.

If we're talking about the same character (the one that dies against the sunset right?) it reminded me of Eddie's death on TLW, ripped in half by the two Rexes, which I found awesome as a kid and still do today. And you could say that was also cruel and undeserved, but I think it's part of the monster movie genre. Could be the fact that I always end up rooting for the monsters,,,

When did people suddenly get so precious and offended by gruesome deaths in movies? Obviously they've never watched a slasher pic.

And of course Zara didn't deserve to die, but it's a Jurassic Park movie with extremely dangerous animals on the loose, so of course people are going to die.

4 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

It has nothing to do with being offended, it has to do with what the movie is trying to say (so to speak) with those deaths. Generally, in monster movies (and slasher films and other similar genres), the slowest and most gruesome deaths are reserved to the real douchebag characters, the ones that are a real pain in the ass. It's basically a way for the filmmaker to tell the audience: "Oh, this characters annoys you, doesn't he/she? Don't worry, he/she'll get what he/she deserves, and it'll be well worth the wait! OK, here we go! Enjoy!"

But in both instances I mentioned, that just didn't feel earned, so to speak.

Hide contents

In Jurassic World, Zara wasn't particularly douchey, but her death still felt like the filmmaker saying: "Hehehe, look, the bitch got what she deserved!" and the only reaction it got from me was: "Was she really a bitch?". If you want to do a death like that in your movie, that's fine by me, but do it to someone like Hoskins, you know, the bad guy who gets a quick offscreen death. That would be more effective.

As for the death in Kong, it is clearly meant in the same way, as a joke, as it clearly stands out: it happens right in the middle of a quiet dialogue scene instead of an action scene, and then the characters act like it's no big deal. But again, same reaction from me. Plus, it's part of this problem of tone shifts the film has, with lots of moments being played like straight, really serious stuff a la Godzilla, and then you have those goofy moments like this one, or when the military guy is about to sacrifice himself but gets kicked on the mountainside, or the John C. Reilly character as a whole. It just feels a bit out of place to me.

As for your Lost World example, Muad'Dib, I'm not quite sure it compares. I think here the intent is more of to create sadness: "Oh, poor heroic Eddie who was trying to help won't get to go back home", it's not played as a joke, and as such, it doesn't feel out of place like the other two mentioned above.

You're reading too much into it.

12 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

I thought it was very boring, but then again, I'm not a movie snob.

I hear ATM 2 is in pre-production......;)

12 hours ago, Muad'Dib said:

If we're talking about the same character (the one that dies against the sunset right?) it reminded me of Eddie's death on TLW, ripped in half by the two Rexes, which I found awesome as a kid and still do today. And you could say that was also cruel and undeserved, but I think it's part of the monster movie genre. Could be the fact that I always end up rooting for the monsters,,,

An important difference is that Eddie is actively involved in the scene; there is build up, tension, taking action doing something you know will probably cost him his life in order to save his friends, so when it happens it makes the weight of his sacrifice feel heavier.

When Zara dies, she dies for no other reason than to be killed by dinosaurs with needless violence so you can react to it.

7 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

You're sick!

No wonder you love Cría Cuervos: it's a movie about you!

Come on, bow down to the greatness of this! Search your feelings, you know it to be awesome

tumblr_lzgcxnNjUg1rpdvglo1_500.gif

1 hour ago, nightscape94 said:

When Zara dies, she dies for no other reason than to be killed by dinosaurs with needless violence so you can react to it.

I was thinking of the girl that dies at the beggining of Jaws. She didn't really do anything to deserve a death, really. It sets the movie in motion, but you could also say it's totally undeserved as well. Awesome scene as well.

Most people in most movies most of the time don't deserve to die, so it's not about that.  The opening to Jaws, as you've already pointed out, is a tone setter.  Not only that, but the scene is masterfully realized on all cinematic fronts.

I liked Jurassic World, but that death is completely pointless and unnecessary even in a movie filled with rampaging dinosaurs.  It adds nothing, only subtracts.

1 hour ago, nightscape94 said:

I hear ATM 2 is in pre-production......;)

Godzilla, King Kong, Transformers, Jurassic World, ... What is it that people have with oversized?

2 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Godzilla, King Kong, Transformers, Jurassic World, ... What is it that people have with oversized?

It's the Americans. They still think bigger is better. That's why their portions are so big in fast food restaurants!

I dunno, it's only a movie. Like how Uncle Matthew got blasted away by the Martian machine when he read that "walk through the valley of the shadow of death" line. Did people in the 50s act all shocked and upset like modern people did for Zara? No because 50s people had balls. Yet again, maybe people complained about Zara's death because she was a hottie.

9 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

It's the Americans. They still think bigger is better. That's why their portions are so big in fast food restaurants!

I guess, when they were little, they've watched Power Rangers so many times that's it's in their DNA.

giphy.gif

21 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

But anyway, it's not something that affected my opinion on the film deeply or anything. It's just that it's something that really stuck out like a sore thumb in that particular scene and even the film as whole and mentioned it just to see if others felt the same way as I did regarding it. But it seems most of you are just fucking psychopaths who get a kick out of any death scene, regardless of whether it feels earned/serves a purpose in the context of the film! I don't know, I guess I just prefer death scenes (of characters, not extras) that are clearly meant to stand out to feel like they belong in there, and are not just randomly thrown in there.

Gonna have to side with Muad. Eddie's death is in no way shape or form supposed to be sad or meaningful. It's a cool movie moment meant to entice the audience, just like the lawyer getting eaten off the toilet from the first film. Many films have this sort of faux serious gruesome tone that I always find to be hilarious. Gibson does it often. If you never laughed at the over-the-top death scenes in Braveheart you have no sense of humor!

I thought Eddie's death in TLW was on an emotional devastation par with the girl in the red coat from Schindler's List. The former had far more cooler music though, so my top 2 rating for them respectively would be:

1. Eddie's Death --THE LOST WORLD 

2. Girl in the red coat -- SCHINDLER'S LIST 

It changes order all the time though, depending on what I've watched most recently. 

3 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Heartless bastard, was probably rooting for the nazi t-rexes! 

It's kind of weird. Schindler's List is one of those movies where I feel self-conscious while watching it, because I'm thinking "okay, I'm watching a serious movie about serious people doing serious things, and this movi... uh, I mean film deals with serious topical matters, so I better act serious while watching it, and it's very character driven with a lot of dialogue, so I better pay attention... god, look at me! I'm paying attention to this! I'm a really smart and sophisticated film aficionado."

Reading his last comment, I can see why he struggles with mature themes and writing. For Drax life's just easier when he's watching monsters and robots fighting each other. 

11 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Reading his last comment, I can see why he struggles with mature themes and writing. For Drax life's just easier when he's watching monsters and robots fighting each other. 

Shin Godzilla was an engaging farce satirising the ineffectiveness of bureaucracy. So I know a sharp script when I see one.

2 minutes ago, Godzilla said:

No, he is!

Rude, crude, and very funny. I'm crying with laughter. Simple pleasures, eh?

Why is it that, after x amount of thousands of years of democracy, science, and all sorts of achievement, still the funniest thing known to man, is the expulsion of either gas, or matter, from his anus?

12 minutes ago, Quintus said:

It's priceless that Drax cited Godzilla as an avenue into 'grown up' political themes he's capable of appreciating. Hahaha! 

As I said, monsters fighting robots. It's comfortable to him because it is accessible to him. 

I deal with grown-up stuff and real-world stuff every day at work. And I'm usually pretty good at pretending to be serious about it.

8 minutes ago, Richard said:

Rude, crude, and very funny. I'm crying with laughter. Simple pleasures, eh?

Why is it that, after x amount of thousands of years of democracy, science, and all sorts of achievement, still the funniest thing known to man, is the expulsion of either gas, or matter, from his anus?

Or when Stefan posted about verility means having the power to impregnate women. I kid you not, I don't laugh out loud at things written online often, but that post had me on the floor in stitches!

Life

The Alien knock off reviews are talking about. That comparison is fair till about a few scenes into the unleashing of the monster. Up to that point it was a serviceable imitation of the far superior film (duh), and I must say the sequence where the alien breaks out is an outstandingly nerve wrecking piece of work (rare in modern mainstream cinema these days). The creature design is pretty good, but it's no Giger. In fact it doesn't even attempt to look anything like the xenomorph, thankfully, it knows it could never have matched up. Instead the monstrosity here is a real brute, nothing subtle or sleek in its outward design, although its movement is. Still, the design works quite well - it is a terrifying monster. 

After the creature escapees though, it becomes a total B-movie glossed to a high sheen. It's still suspenseful and entertaining but that alien escape was always going to be a tough act to follow. Ending is predictable but delightfully schlocky too. 

A solid 3.5/5.