What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I too saw Kong: Skull Island yesterday.

It's a spectacular monster movie, yes, but the characters are so unbelievably static. The movie is more concerned with logistics than developing its characters. Which is a shame, because there are some interesting possibilities set up in the first twenty minutes and they cast and ensemble of A-listers. All of this is wasted. Basically, after Sam Jackson faces Kong for the first time, all the cards are on the table and very little changes until the end of the film. No one learns anything. This leaves us with empty spectacle. And that's a pity, because they clearly put a lot of money and effort into the monster scenes, only to bore me for long stretches of the film. Meh.

4 hours ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

Well, I too saw Kong: Skull Island yesterday.

It's a spectacular monster movie, yes, but the characters are so unbelievably static. The movie is more concerned with logistics than developing its characters. Which is a shame, because there are some interesting possibilities set up in the first twenty minutes and they cast and ensemble of A-listers. All of this is wasted.

Yep. It's funny how some characters are presented in a way that make you feel they'll be important to the story only to be killed before they accomplished anything.

Spoiler

John Goodman's character, for example: it appears he's going to be an important part of the story, the guy who knows a lot of stuff about what's going on, etc... But nope. He just says: "Something attacked the ship. I know it! Something huge... And they said I was mad!" and then he's eaten, and that's it. Same with Toby Kebbel's character. We spend some time with him wandering alone in a few scenes, then you think: "He's gonna discover something important! Surely, it's leading to something important", but then, nope, he's just eaten and that's it.

I'm currently watching Rogue One and it is exactly like I expected.

I always thought that Star Wars spinoff movies where a bad idea, and now I have the proof. Well, at least, these are not for me, and I consider myself a big fan!

I'm not impressed at all, it's a bad average movie like all the bad average movies Hollywood produces these days. More a videogame than a movie actually, like all the others.

This movie doesn't reach the little boy in me who used to play at "Star Wars" with his friends.

All the references to the old movies are pathetic and I can't help repeating to myself "My god, this is so bad!".

For me, Star Wars will end with John Wiliams's death and I really just hope he'll be able to score the last one... Episode 9.

Star Wars: Episode IX - The Final Chapter

Star Wars: Episode X - A New Beginning

Star Wars: Episode XI - Vader Lives

Star Wars: Episode XII - The New Lightsabre

Star Wars: Episode XIII - Vader Takes Coruscant

Vader Goes To Mustafar: The Final Star War

Vader X

Freddy vs Vader

I saw fantastic beasts last saturday... and I must admit I fell in love with this little kleptomaniac duck-billed platypus (thanks to reverso for this one... geez!)... so it worked for me... The proof that I still have my child's heart... you only have to take me by the hand, to the right places.

19 minutes ago, Bespin said:

I must admit I fell in love with this little kleptomaniac duck-billed platypus (thanks to reverso for this one... geez!)...

Or you could have just called it, you know, "the Niffler".

12 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Or you could have just called it, you know, "the Niffler".

Well I read HP in french and always saw the french canadian dubbed versions of the movies... so I didn't know the name of this cute animal. But, in this case, it's almost the same in french: niffleur (for the word reniffleur in french).

Free Fire - this kinda reminded me of early Tarantino ... you know, back when he didn't think his movies had to last for a fucking fortnight. A bloodily violent and at times very funny 90 minutes. 

2 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Even without comparing to the anime, it's not really good. Pretty generic story we've seen a thousand times before without bringing anything new to the table.

But hey, you definitely have excellent taste (I mean, you love Doctor Who!), so who knows? You may end up loving it! :thumbup:

21 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Even without comparing to the anime, it's not really good. Pretty generic story we've seen a thousand times before without bringing anything new to the table.

But hey, you seem to have weird taste (I mean, you love Doctor Who!), so who knows? You may end up loving it! ;)

We're all different, and you of course have every right to dislike Doctor Who. 

You're wrong, though. But as I say, that's your right :P .

Your Name

1482475137_1.jpg

Really lovely movie.  Well-organized and crafted, beautifully animated and designed, had a mix of everything and did it with considerable artistry.  If you get a chance to see this, please take it. 

The Zookeeper's Wife

Jessica Chastain is fantastic here, although her Polish accent is lacking. The story has potential to be a devastatingly good movie, but the script is far too condensed and softens the reality of Nazi-occupied Poland (only two people are killed on-screen). Niki Caro's direction is good, but I wish she and her screenwriter had focused on making the film as authentic as possible, rather than skirting over the more horrific parts of the Holocaust. There are two plot cheats near the end that denies a proper emotional catharsis, like in Spielberg's War of the Worlds.

It's a thoroughly watchable movie, thanks to Caro and Chastain, but the script isn't that much better than a Lifetime made-for-TV film.

On 11/04/2017 at 3:30 AM, nightscape94 said:

Your Name

1482475137_1.jpg

Really lovely movie.  Well-organized and crafted, beautifully animated and designed, had a mix of everything and did it with considerable artistry.  If you get a chance to see this, please take it. 

Hmm, it's the fourth largest grossing film of all time in Japan and Mark Kermode called it his ninth favourite film to be released in the United Kingdom in 2016. I'll have to get on this. 

"Nightscape's recommendation means nothing, but google turns up strangers who say its good, so I'll check it out!"

Well, I read his post whereas I scroll past contributions from plenty of other people. And Mark Kermode is probably the most well known film critic in the UK since Barry Norman retired. 

Rogue One. I really enjoyed it. I only think that too many good people died rather quickly and really didn't like K2: the voice was just... off. Use C3-PO, but don't try to replace him, it doesn't work. Felecity Jones's character and performance was terrific, I really need to watch her in Inferno as soon as I can. And even though I'm not a fan of the current political correctness obsession that requires everyone to force minorities into every single film, I liked Chirrut and demand to know where I can sign up for Jedi training... and why J.K. Rowling hasn't provided an answer to the question: (How) an blind people use a wand?

And now a word about the score. I haven't been following the debate at all on this one, but my answer to 'is Giacchino the next John Williams' is definitely YES. While I found that the thematic references to JW's scores didn't suffice (why use only the first half of the Forcce?), most of the score sounded like something JW could have written. Jin's theme is great. To write such music in such a short amount of time is impressive and even though I generally don't like frantic JW action music, I'm embracing it these days just because I've totally had it with Hans Zimmer's style popping up literally everywhere (including in a Belgian travel documentary).

A Dark Song - I've shat scarier things than this achingly slow, ploddingly dull British horror.

As one of the main characters screams at the other around the hour mark 'WHY IS NOTHING HAPPENING?!?'.  

On 13/04/2017 at 6:10 AM, bollemanneke said:

Rogue One. I really enjoyed it. I only think that too many good people died rather quickly and really didn't like K2: the voice was just... off. Use C3-PO, but don't try to replace him, it doesn't work. Felecity Jones's character and performance was terrific, I really need to watch her in Inferno as soon as I can. And even though I'm not a fan of the current political correctness obsession that requires everyone to force minorities into every single film, I liked Chirrut and demand to know where I can sign up for Jedi training... and why J.K. Rowling hasn't provided an answer to the question: (How) an blind people use a wand?

And now a word about the score. I haven't been following the debate at all on this one, but my answer to 'is Giacchino the next John Williams' is definitely YES. While I found that the thematic references to JW's scores didn't suffice (why use only the first half of the Forcce?), most of the score sounded like something JW could have written. Jin's theme is great. To write such music in such a short amount of time is impressive and even though I generally don't like frantic JW action music, I'm embracing it these days just because I've totally had it with Hans Zimmer's style popping up literally everywhere (including in a Belgian travel documentary).

K2 was my favourite character aside from Darth Voorhees.

Sandy Wexler (2017)

wexler.png

Switched it off after 2  or 3 minutes. You know it's a stinker right from the start. To watch the whole thing would be dumb. 

Alex