What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 11:28 AM, Jay said:

Dexter was fine for 4 seasons then complete and utter shit for the last 4, what a godawful ending

The last three especially are so bad that it renders the entire series basically unwatchable.  Shame.

On 5/24/2017 at 3:16 PM, nightscape94 said:

The last three especially are so bad that it renders the entire series basically unwatchable.  Shame.

Completely agreed!

So the main actor in King Arthur , Charlie Hunnam...I kept wondering who he was and thought I had seen him recently in another movie...and I did...he was in Lost City of Z. Why does this unknown actor have 2 movies coming out at once?

46 minutes ago, king mark said:

So the main actor in King Arthur , Charlie Hunnam...I kept wondering who he was and thought I had seen him recently in another movie...and I did...he was in Lost City of Z. Why does this unknown actor have 2 movies coming out at once?

He's not that unknown. He's in Children of Men, Pacific Rim, and Crimson Peak. Although he is to me like a less well-known Channing Tatum. They both look a little alike. Names even rhyme. 

Wonder Woman (2017)

Director Patty Jenkins nailed it. Gal Gadot actually goes through a wide gamut of emotions convincingly, and Jenkins utilizes Gadot's natural charisma for all its worth. The chemistry between Diana and Chris Pine's Steve Trevor is winning and naturally developed through the course of the film. The humor is naturally integrated into the narrative too, so while the real-life setting is grim, the humor doesn't undercut the stakes like Avengers: Age of Ultron or Doctor Strange. The first two-thirds of the movie are very strong, and while the final third is problematic -- I have no qualms recommending the movie. 

Rupert Gregson-Williams' score was serviceable but could've been so much more.

58 minutes ago, Matt C said:

Wonder Woman (2017)

Director Patty Jenkins nailed it. Gal Gadot actually goes through a wide gamut of emotions convincingly, and Jenkins utilizes Gadot's natural charisma for all its worth. The chemistry between Diana and Chris Pine's Steve Trevor is winning and naturally developed through the course of the film. The humor is naturally integrated into the narrative too, so while the real-life setting is grim, the humor doesn't undercut the stakes like Avengers: Age of Ultron or Doctor Strange. The first two-thirds of the movie are very strong, and while the final third is problematic -- I have no qualms recommending the movie. 

Rupert Gregson-Williams' score was serviceable but could've been so much more.

DC is saved!

1 hour ago, Godzilla said:

No, he's man-handling his subjects, like a manly man.

He's not a man, he's a child. That's why you relate to him, Drax. 

Psychologists, however, call him malignant narcissistic.

30 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

He's not a man, he's a child. That's why you relate to him, Drax. 

Psychologists, however, call him malignant narcissistic.

I'm up to the fifth Resident Evil movie. You should watch it with me!

Two thumbs up for Wonder Woman!  Great fun. Gadot and Pine are both really good.  The big mid film action sequence is the highlight but the whole movie is really well paced.  Good movie for a warm summer evening.

The score is mostly dull as dishwater, punctuated at key moments with Zimmer's theme like an electric shock.

6 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Two thumbs up for Wonder Woman!  Great fun. Gadot and Pine are both really good.  The big mid film action sequence is the highlight but the whole movie is really well paced.  Good movie for a warm summer evening.

The score is mostly dull as dishwater, punctuated at key moments with Zimmer's theme like an electric shock.

Let's help DC and its future projects! Is it the script that made a difference? Perhaps the jokes (you did say it's fun)? 

5 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Let's help DC and its future projects! Is it the script that made a difference? Perhaps the jokes (you did say it's fun)? 

I didn't see BvS or Suicide Squad so I can't speak to specific differences but it does indeed have many lighthearted moments, mostly stemming from the "fish out of water" scenario of it being Diana's first time leaving the island of the Amazons.

But I also thought it tackled its themes well (for a light Summer blockbuster).  It asks some real questions about the nature of humans, namely our capacity for incredible cruelty and great sacrifice (making WWI a perfect backdrop).  Nothing new, but taken seriously.

7 hours ago, Godzilla said:

I thought Junkie XL wrote that theme.

This is possible. I didn't see BvS and only listened to the OST once.

I intend to go tomorrow, and the lighter touch is something I'm looking forward to. Man Of Steel's tone left me with no desire to see Batman Vs. Superman, and I still haven't.     

Wonder Woman was good.  The kids liked it too, was not too intense, for them at least. I dug the classic 90s RCP vibe from Rupert at first, but it did stay a little flat throughout. 

Wonder Woman - overlong at 2 hrs 20 and also lighter on action than I would've liked. That said, it's a good deal less gloomy than the recent takes on DC's other 'big hitters' Superman and Batman and in the title role Gal Gadot both kicks ass and looks great doing it.  

Wonder Woman

it takes awhile to get going. The bit on the island was poor and I thought Robin Wright was bad or miscast. I was regretting parting with my money until Pine showed up. 

Once they hit London it really gets going. It's like a less boring version of the first Captain America film. WWI is refreshing as you see it on screen a lot less.

the final battle is a little OTT and cliched but the midway action sequence is excellent.

Gadot and Pine have great chemistry. They're very funny together.  Gadot does a fantastic job. She looks the part but her acting is spot on throughout. 

A really solod 3/5. Maybe even 3.5/5