What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/9/2017 at 9:47 PM, Brundlefly said:

Has anyone seen "Silence"? How long did it run in American cinemas?

Not very long. It wasn't super successful, it's not exactly an audience friendly film, so I'm not surprised.

1 hour ago, Sally Spectra said:

Yes, news should be sexed up or else you alienate your audience with boredom. Fox News has a lot of added value by including eye candy.

Sorry, but not everyone thinks Trump is handsome.

The Mummy - this has had mixed reviews to say the least, but I had fun - an action-adventure-horror that fairly rattles along and sets up Universal's 'Dark Universe' well enough.

37 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Sorry, but not everyone thinks Trump is handsome.

The President of Croatia seems to adore him. You see, he's a manly man surrounded by girly men, so she would obviously gravitate toward the alpha.

mdLm_HTqC8F4jui_MKImYexiWR2WBm5GiJSs3I1r

21 minutes ago, Sally Spectra said:

The President of Croatia seems to adore him. You see, he's a manly man surrounded by girly men, so she would obviously gravitate toward the alpha.

mdLm_HTqC8F4jui_MKImYexiWR2WBm5GiJSs3I1r

Make no mistake, Trump is the male equivalent of the woman standing next to the President of Kroatia.

7 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Make no mistake, Trump is the male equivalent of the woman standing next to the President of Kroatia.

No man in his right mind would fall for an alpha woman like that!

Baby Driver

Edgar Wright's latest is slick and stylish and directed with a flair only a few directors possess. It's excellent.  Go see it.

20 minutes ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

Baby Driver

Edgar Wright's latest is slick and stylish and directed with a flair only a few directors possess. It's excellent.  Go see it.

I want to so badly.  Cannot wait.  Most anticipated movie of the summer.

The Mummy (2017)

This film has the dubious distinction of being both Tom Cruise's worst film in his career AND makes The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor look like a cinematic masterpiece.

The movie wants to be several different genres, but first-time director Alex Kurtzman fumbles all of them. The shitty script... even Christopher McQuarrie couldn't salvage this. Tom Cruise is woefully miscast and lacking that on-screen charisma that he usually brings to the table. Russell Crowe isn't much better, but at least his hammy performance fits with the B-movie execution. Annabelle Wallis was cast because she's a poor man's Emily Blunt. And for all the action, explosions, and jump scares, I was mostly bored. There's too much plot stuffed in this film (namely pointless world-building) that it feels twice as long. The best way to watch this is with the inevitable Rifftrax commentary.

The best thing about this film? Sofia Boutella's mummy character is a delicious mix of seduction and danger. Had she a better script and director to work with, this would've been a star-making film for her. Tyler's score was pretty enjoyable as well.

7 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

No matter how bad they make 'm, you people keep going to see it. Hollywood thanks you!

I had a $8 Fandango code for the movie. Only paid the $1.50 convenience fee.

Hopefully, there will be no sequel.

4 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

La La Land

Fantastic camerawork and cinematography, with some great melodies. Pretttaay, pretttaaayyy good.

The last 15 minutes of that movie (or however long it is after the time jump) are just masterful.  Amazing convergence of acting, design, and music.

Chazelle is apparently working on a TV project next (The Eddy), which I'm interested in, but I'm more interested to see what he does for a third feature film.  He's pretty much got a blank check after La La Land grossed almost $450 million worldwide, on a budget of $30 million.

Also actually it'll be his fourth feature! His debut wasn't Whiplash but a movie called Guy and Madeline on a Park Bench.....technically it's sort of a student film and I didn't find it quite as impressive and thrillingly entertaining as the other two, he really did hit his stride with Whiplash but it's still kind of interesting. There are hints of invention in there, it's basically a precursor to La La Land

I think that guy's gonna end up with a pretty exciting career, stylistically he feels like the most natural showman so far of the new filmmaking generation.

I haven't seen it but I did know that a melody from Hurwitz's Guy and Madeline score forms the basis for the "Summer Montage" sequence of La La Land.  Just a cameo.