What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

JWFAN had a better community back then. Better film scores to talk about, too.

Gotta love those early coal-fired internet days. Where would we be without innovators?  

Wonder Woman

DC finally made a convincing entry into their cinematic universe.

Gal Gadot proved in BvS that she could hold the screen while wearing an implausible costume and look enignatic, mysterious or kick ass.

Wonder Woman shows she can also be quite funny. Unlike DC's two Snyder directed epics Wonder Woman actually has quite a lot of humor in it. And not really the "quip" humour Marvel has been known for. The script, director Patty Jenkins and her cast find a lot of good humour in the concept of an Amazonian Goddess finding herself in London during WWI, not understanding that a sword and shield really isnt proper attire.

The Diane Prince we saw in BvS was world-weary and jaded, the one we see here is idealistic, naive even. Believing she can save all of man kind by destroying the God of War. The film plays with that concept throughout and actually doesnt break the news to Diane very late that things don't quite work that way.

Both Chris Pine and GaL Gadot are excellent in this actually. The film once again showcases that beneath his good looks (which arent quite as boyish as they once were) he has some really superb comic talent. (he sells the films one obligatory penis joke) The middle part of the film is the best. Where all the powerful Gods mubo-jumbo is paused for a bit and it deals with Wonder Woman finding herself in the real world.

I found myself caring about Diane Prince and Steve Trevor. Who's just a normal guy trying to do the right thing in a war which has none of the glory and heroism that Diane thinks war should have.

The early parts in the island were quite good too. Jenkins managed to create an island of Amazonian warriors that didnt feel like a male fantasy of a Lesbian paradise.

In many ways the film reminded me of The First Avenger. But it didnt lose me in the second half the way that one did. The plot and story arent anything unique or special. But I was entertained throughout. The villians, all three of them were underdeveloped though. And I could kinda sense one of them was a red herring.

The score was actually OK. It's once of those that sounds just like Zimmer even though it's not him. The more heraldic bits for the Island reminded me in style of that historic epic sound Hansu used a lot in the noughties. King Arthur etc. 

Overall good film.

*** out of ****

Good review, Stefan.  I agree on all points.  That central duo of Gadot and Pine is so rock solid, the film could've been much worse and I'd still have enjoyed it overall.

16 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Through far from the best, surely?

Good question!  Hmm,  I think my picks for best film by a female director would be Lost in Translation and this amazing movie called The Ascent by a Soviet director named Larisa Shepitko.

What I especially love about Sofia Coppola's work is that all her movies have a very feminine voice/perspective while not being pandering, dumb chick flicks (which have their place and can be fun).  Like, they're serious, thoughtful movies that almost certainly would be very different if directed by a man.  I dunno if that makes sense, I just love her movies.

35 minutes ago, KK said:

I prefer Zero Dark Thirty!

Love Zero Dark Thirty.

i remember people complaining it was very pro torture and "America fuck yeah!" When it came out. They obviously didn't pay much attention, it is anything but. 

Desplat's score works very nicely. Love the score for them flying to the compound. 

Of course not, because Drax feels right at home with Bigelow's manliness. She's one of the guys and probably smokes cigars like Ridley Scott. Personally, I prefer the feminine perspectives of Coppola and Taymor. I hope I can find of little bit of that in Wonder Woman.

I've only seen American Honey which I liked a lot, one of those examples of a non-US writer/director being more incisive about American culture in some ways. Been meaning to check out her others, particularly Fish Tank.

12 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

I've only seen American Honey which I liked a lot, one of those examples of a non-US writer/director being more incisive about American culture in some ways.

Yes!  Like a modern day de Tocqueville!

3 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

I've only seen American Honey which I liked a lot, one of those examples of a non-US writer/director being more incisive about American culture in some ways. Been meaning to check out her others, particularly Fish Tank.

Fish Tank is great, definitely check it out.

On ‎6‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 0:36 PM, Disco Stu said:

What I especially love about Sofia Coppola's work is that all her movies have a very feminine voice/perspective while not being pandering, dumb chick flicks (which have their place and can be fun).  Like, they're serious, thoughtful movies that almost certainly would be very different if directed by a man.  I dunno if that makes sense, I just love her movies.

I've been fascinated by her as a filmmaker ever since The Virgin Suicides, though I haven't seen The Bling Ring.