What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 7/14/2017 at 9:37 PM, Sally Spectra said:

The movie itself gets docked points because the delivery method failed?

No, the service I watched it on was so bad with the freezing and skipping, that it ruined the experience of the film for me. I need to rewatch it on a better system at least. 

19 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

No, the service I watched it on was so bad with the freezing and skipping, that it ruined the experience of the film for me. I need to rewatch it on a better system at least. 

So, the delivery service of the file failed. That's what I said. You probably thought I meant the mailman. You're so analog!

16 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

fd1037_5325294.jpg

"Hey, lady! You call him The Comedian, Doll!"

No, you see, there is no correlation between JD Morgan and Lauren Cohan in Watchmen. Thanks for trying to be funny. 

9 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Yes Alex, you are very funny.

Looking. 

14 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Alex is more accurate though.

No. He's not. He has an opinion. And you have a man crush. 

8 hours ago, Sally Spectra said:

So, the delivery service of the file failed. That's what I said. You probably thought I meant the mailman. You're so analog!

The comcast service was just absolutely shitty (it was the best I had and I hate comcast like any sane person). I could watch the film, but it freezed every two minutes. I wasn't a fan. 

17 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Perhaps it's this sexual hostility you commonly display that has prevented us from becoming friends?

Whatever you need to tell yourself. 

War For The Planet Of The Apes - Serkis and the CGI are as brilliant as ever, but this is much slower and a lot less 'action-y' than the 'War' in the title would lead you to believe. And at 140 minutes, it just goes on and on and ON.  For me, an ultimately disappointing end to the reboot trilogy. 

The lack of blockbuster spectacle and deliberate pacing is exactly what makes it good. Doesn't go for the cheap and easy in the end. That is where the previous film failed for me. This series was always at its best when pursuing ideas over action. It might be heavy-handed, true, but at least has some balls.

Karol

Wonder Woman

Booooring after they leave the island. So much wrong in here. Gal is adorable in the role and so is Chris Pine in his. I like the sort of little religious arc that Diana has.

Okja

Not really the pro-vegan movie some have talked about at all. I can't quite figure out if the stuff that doesn't make sense at all is like that on purpose or not, like the plans of the activist-terrorist group, or the dirty, scary laboratory, or the titular creature very existence designed as an enormous, very intelligent and sentient animal for meat production purposes.

Great ending. Great action sequence. Nice genre-blending.

War for the Planet of the Apes

Fuck yeah. I mean, it has some silly stuff when I stop to think about it. Really silly (the humans' stupid military tactics bother me the most). And the score falls apart slightly when it isn't being all warlike and tense and goes melodramatic. I really enjoy the tone, the RPG with apes thing, the old western, the classic war movie stuff injected here. Pretty photography too, great control of pace and spectacle. I've never waited for so long  in a movie for a tank with a flammable substance to explode. (And no, the film isn't "too long", what the hell).

I sometimes wish they'd jumped into harder sci-fi and the apes were more ape and less stand ins for human characters so to speak. I kept wondering what they eat, specially since they eat different depending on the species. What if none of them ever spoke words? The sign language aspect is cool enough that Caesar sudden English comes out as jarring.

14 minutes ago, Brónach said:

What if none of them ever spoke words? The sign language aspect is cool enough that Caesar sudden English comes out as jarring.

Agreed! Let the next reboot begin!

14 minutes ago, Brónach said:

Wonder Woman

Booooring after they leave the island. So much wrong in here.

Marvelite!

3 hours ago, Brónach said:

Wonder Woman

Booooring after they leave the island. So much wrong in here. Gal is adorable in the role and so is Chris Pine in his. I like the sort of little religious arc that Diana has.

Hmm, interesting.  I had the opposite reaction.  I thought the first act (island stuff) and the last act (from the castle party to the end) were both weak and a little boring.  It was the middle act, from leaving the island to the no man's land/town battle, that I put among the best sections of any super hero movie ever.

26 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Hmm, interesting.  I had the opposite reaction.  I thought the first act (island stuff) and the last act (from the castle party to the end) were both weak and a little boring.  It was the middle act, from leaving the island to the no man's land/town battle, that I put among the best sections of any super hero movie ever.

Yes!

Though I wouldn't say "best section of any super hero movie ever". Simply "best section of the film".

On 13/7/2017 at 9:07 AM, Quintus said:

The second one was poor, I was disappointed with it. The first film was great fun though, it got the tone dead right. So I'm guessing this third one forgets all that and takes itself really seriously then, like the second film. Po-faced chimpanzees don't really work for me. 

I think it takes the filmaking seriously but it's not like it pretends to not be about talking apes or anything. It at times becomes ridiculous but it wants to look and feel pretty anyway.

Dunkirk

It was very involving, very well shot, very well edited, terrific sound design, with some genuinely stunning moments.

To tell you the truth, I was expecting this to be more gripping and tense than it actually was. The sense of scale of the whole event was not as overwhelming as I was expecting. 

But still, it is very much worth watching.

I wouldn't consider it to be Nolan's top work, though

1493330614_2.jpg

Dunkirk

It's to war films what Gravity was to "science-fiction". A roller coaster ride that forgoes character and narrative and instead heavily hinges on the experience. And it does this incredibly well. By the third act, you'll feel the need for some air.

It takes a little time to settle and buy into Nolan's unconventional triptych structure. The fact that the three storylines go at different paces throughout the film can threaten to lose some of the audience, but Nolan ties it together quite cleverly.

And jeez, there really isn't anyone topping Nolan when it comes to scale nowadays eh? There are some phenomenal setpieces, thousands of extras, and some beautiful shots (though they aren't at the forefront of the film as the teasers/trailers might suggest). And on IMAX, this film is really quite something.

Nolan's typical "wrap-up montage" at the end seemed more at odds with this film than in the past. And the "Air" "storyline" goes on for too long. And I sadly found the score rather obnoxious to be honest. When it works, it works well, but mostly, it plays as a cheap, ceaseless tension-building gimmick. Escalating, de-escalating and pulsating with such monotony that at some points, the film's major beats just start to blur with each other. This film deserved better, something more clever. And no, the Elgar did not work for me in context either. Not at all.

As a "war film", Dunkirk actually has very little to say about war or what happened at Dunkirk. It's more matter of fact than that, and is keen on solely emulating the experiences of the soldiers. There isn't really anyone to root for, and there isn't anything to take home after the credits roll. But it is an experience worth having, and I admire Nolan for tackling the matter in this fashion. He might be the last major filmmaker that has the leverage and drive to try these things in mainstream cinema. So kudos to him.

I actually don't remember that word being used at all, to be honest. If it did, it got lost in the film.

Yes, it was very Karol, wasn't it?

Anyway, my thoughts, as succinct as possible:

- This is a "movie's movie," the best attempt at this so far, easily beating out other "experiences" like Avatar and Gravity

- I thought the score worked flawlessly

- Nolan is one of the only actively working filmmakers today who is doing anything worthwhile

- We will continue to follow his career with great interest

- Best of the year, and likely to stay that way

11 minutes ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

- This is a "movie's movie," the best attempt at this so far, easily beating out other "experiences" like Avatar and Gravity

- Nolan is one of the only actively working filmmakers today who is doing anything worthwhile in mainstream cinema

- We will continue to follow his career with great interest

We mostly agree here! :up:

It's the best I've seen so far this year. But there are a number of good films I'm still looking forward to. And with a PTA film on the horizon, I doubt this will stay on top by the end.

I mean, Avatar and Gravity have their merits, but they're not really what I'd call yardsticks to which all other cinematic "experiences" should be compared.

6 minutes ago, Quintus said:

I mean, Avatar and Gravity have their merits, but they're not really what I'd call yardsticks to which all other cinematic "experiences" should be compared.

That's what it'll be mostly compared to, though.

8 minutes ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

That's what it'll be mostly compared to, though.

Both Dunkirk and Gravity have very similar aspirations, just with different contexts. I enjoy both films, but at the moment, prefer the former.

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

There so many filmmakers making worthwhile movies.  This is why the Cult of Nolan can get annoying.  He's an interesting filmmaker and vital part of the industry.  Not the Only True Savior of Cinema.  I mean get it, he's audacious, loud, and chest-beating (metaphorically).  He appeals to Kubrick-worshippers.  I like that he gets real budgets and is successful.  But there are great artists out there who make what movies they can scrape together and do it very well.

I just don't agree.  There are talented filmmakers out there, but I would never describe it as "so many," and certainly not in the mainstream arena.  No one said anything about One True Savior, come on, don't play that dumb game man.  You're a better JWFan than that!

Just now, TheGreyPilgrim said:

I just don't agree.  There are talented filmmakers out there, but I would never describe it as "so many," and certainly not in the mainstream arena.  No one said anything about One True Savior, come on, don't play that dumb game man.  You're a better JWFan than that!

You're the archdeacon of the Church!!!