What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

5 hours ago, Johnnyecks said:

This movie absolutely destroyed me. Great great great film, but damnit it ruined a whole weekend. Everytime I think about it, I get all emotional.

Damnit... here I go.....

Yeah, the ending was a lot more emotional then I was expecting. Totally surprised me. Great film though. 

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On Sunday, August 06, 2017 at 10:19 PM, publicist said:

Your numbers are rubbish. Neither did Hans Zimmer 'invent' a method for scoring films whole (it just happened that some of the blockbusters did just that) nor did any of the other gentlemen ever had an average independent of genre or other filmic requirements. Since the 90's, scores became longer but for small dramas, Williams seldom cracked the 50 minute mark, Goldsmith suddenly provided 80-90 minute scores for action movies that had hardly 30 in the 70's. CD running times are really misleading. A score like 'Ghost and the Darkness' or 'The Shadow' had 30 minute releases of 60 to 80 minutes of score.

There are distinct tendencies. Of course it also depends on the decade and the genre of the film. And I do not look at the OST running times, it is not that difficult to find out what the actual score running time is.

Atomic Blonde

The plot is needlessly twisty, but hey, when you have Charlize Theron beating the shit out of bad guys AND a fantastic 1980s soundtrack, does anything else really matter? Til Schweiger was a bit of a pushover as the main baddie.

6 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

It looked like the color grading would drive me up the wall.  Just over-futzed with, visually.

David Leitch does overdo the color grading in places. The scenes with Charlize taking her ice baths have this dreary blue overcast to it, and the nightclub scenes have this nauseating neon lighting.

It doesn't go hog wild with the gunplay like the John Wick films, but the fight choreography is amazing. The staircase fight scene alone is worth seeing on the big screen.

Latest rentals:

The Purge: Election Year - I'm loving this franchise and this didn't disappoint. It's done in a fashion which feels very real and plausible, with enough new ideas that it feels like they could go on for some time. However, the 4th one will be a prequel about the inception of The Purge, and the ending of this suggests that they're not going to do any further ones. (

The country votes for a candidate who promises to end it.

)

Steve Jobs - intricate and detailed portrayal of Jobs with some great supporting work. I'm not 100% convinced about Boyle's interweaving of two separate conversations in a couple of scenes, and I suspect that a few details will fly over the heads of those not familiar with computer hardware, but pretty engrossing overall.

25 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Latest rentals:

The Purge: Election Year - I'm loving this franchise and this didn't disappoint. It's done in a fashion which feels very real and plausible, with enough new ideas that it feels like they could go on for some time. However, the 4th one will be a prequel about the inception of The Purge, and the ending of this suggests that they're not going to do any further ones. (

Hide contents

The country votes for a candidate who promises to end it.

The concept of "People are basically violent and evil, let's watch people be violent and evil" could not be less appealing to me.  Who'd want to watch that?  Is that an incorrect assumption about these movies?

The concept of "People are basically violent and evil, let's watch people be violent and evil" could not be less appealing to me.  Who'd want to watch that?  Is that an incorrect assumption about these movies?

Isn't it a satire of American culture and our obsession with violence?

37 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

I could go for that as a comedy.  As a horror movie, it sounds offputting.  I'm not much of a horror guy generally.

8 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

That doesn't explain why Richard Penna is so fascinated by this franchise. He's not American!

Annabelle: Creation

Completely hated the garbage first movie. It stunk so much that it stained my love for the Conjuring movies as a whole and believe it should be ripped out of existence.

However, this prequel was 1000x better. I found it to be very scary in parts. Lots of jump scares, but there were some moments that were not expected that really got me. I was happy with the director's last movie Lights Out. I felt that was very effective and it is apparent that he learned quite a bit about using darkness to his advantage. There were moments when a character was staring down a hall that was almost 99% pitch black, and you can see just a small outline of someone. Very effective.

Plus, I saw this in a Dolby Cinema with Atmos set up and Dolby Vision. I have not heard or seen a better soundstage and picture. I will be returning to that auditorium again and again. I really hope they play It in that theater.

I'm so out of the loop on modern horror.  I'm not usually into them, but I do feel like I should sample some just to be reasonably informed of the trends.  I haven't seen one in a theater since... Slither?

I know I want to watch It Follows and The Conjuring and maybe The Babadook?.  Any other recs from people?

46 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I'm so out of the loop on modern horror.  I'm not usually into them, but I do feel like I should sample some just to be reasonably informed of the trends.  I haven't seen one in a theater since... Slither?

I know I want to watch It Follows and The Conjuring and maybe The Babadook?.  Any other recs from people?

This is one of the biggest "Love it/Hate it" genres. What one finds fantastic and scary, someone else hated it. Here are some of the recent ones that I have seen that I fully enjoyed. A * means it is foreign and subtitled. Don't let that stear you away, those were fantastic.

Bleeding House

Get Out

I Saw the Devil*

House of the Devil

Trick R Treat

Tales of Halloween

The Invitation

Kill List*

Don't Breathe

Hush

10 Cloverfield Lane

Train to Busan*

Autopsy of Jane Doe

The Void

The Belko Experiement

We Are Still Here

Green Room

Definately Conjuring and Conjuring 2

The Nightmare (Sleep paralysis documentary)

The Blackout Experiments (documentary on one of the most intense haunted houses)

The Houses that October Built

Krampus

The Gift

Baskin*

Grave Encounters

Creep

What We Do In The Shadows

Digging Up The Marrow

Lake Bodum

3 hours ago, Johnnyecks said:

Annabelle: Creation

I loved the first one - I look forward to seeing this sometime (I would say renting, but LoveFilm's closing, so I'm now at the mercy of Netflix/Amazon).

On 8/13/2017 at 10:09 PM, Koray Savas said:

I thought it was more a thriller than horror film. I dunno, never seen them, but that's the vibe I got from the trailers. 

They're classified as Sci-Fi/Thriller apparently. While they're very violent films, there's actually very little blood or horror imagery. The 3rd one is a 15 certificate. Almost all of the more up-front violence is just people getting shot in the head. The more violent elements are from a distance, or not lingering too much.

2 hours ago, Johnnyecks said:

This is one of the biggest "Love it/Hate it" genres. What one finds fantastic and scary, someone else hated it. Here are some of the recent ones that I have seen that I fully enjoyed. A * means it is foreign and subtitled. Don't let that stear you away, those were fantastic.

Bleeding House

Get Out

I Saw the Devil*

House of the Devil

Trick R Treat

Tales of Halloween

The Invitation

Kill List*

Don't Breathe

Hush

10 Cloverfield Lane

Train to Busan*

Autopsy of Jane Doe

The Void

The Belko Experiement

We Are Still Here

Green Room

The Blackout Experiments (documentary on one of the most intense haunted houses)

Krampus

The Gift

Baskin*

Grave Encounters

Creep

Digging Up The Marrow

Lake Bodum

I saw and loved both 10 Cloverfield Lane and Green Room (and Blue Ruin for that matter)

Thanks for the recs!

The Adventures of Tintin: Secret of the Unicorn (2011)

Man, do I love this movie. Perfectly channels the spirit and sense of adventure that make the comics such enjoyable classics. It feels like an Indy film on steroids. The animation still looks fantastic after 6 years, and Williams' spirited and sophisticated score was great as well. Very much looking forward to the upcoming sequel.

Dark Tower. I liked it despite the critics. It wasn't a special effect extravaganza but I got interested in the story.  The acting was good too

Valerian and the city of a Thousand Planets. Most visually interesting sci-fi movie I've seen in a while. It didn't look like the standard CGI blockbuster.  Some action sequences were a bit confusing  so I need to see it again

Dunkirk. I dunno. I think IMAX made it greater than it was (it wasn't very interesting visually otherwise)  and I wasn't as involved as I hoped I'd be. I couldn't understand half of the dialogue because of the music and sound effects.

Spiderman. it was ok. The actor got a bit on my nerves siometimes

I think Manuel's criticism of Snowy and BloodBoal's highly-anticipated-at-the-time-but-somewhat-of-letdown review both ruined any chance of that ever happening.

Karol

18 hours ago, Johnnyecks said:

Bleeding House

Get Out

I Saw the Devil*

House of the Devil

Trick R Treat

Tales of Halloween

The Invitation

Kill List*

Don't Breathe

Hush

10 Cloverfield Lane

Train to Busan*

Autopsy of Jane Doe

The Void

The Belko Experiement

We Are Still Here

Green Room

Krampus

The Gift

Baskin*

Grave Encounters

Creep

Digging Up The Marrow

Lake Bodum

The Witch is conspicuously missing from this list. 

I'm surprised that I've seen quite a number from here, though I would count half of what's here as horror.

I don't often see people recommending The House of the Devil, which is a deliciously spooky slow burn.  

Off the top of my head, [REC] comes to mind, especially the last 10 minutes which are possibly the most scared I've ever been at a movie.