What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/16/2017 at 10:25 AM, Hurmm said:

The Witch is conspicuously missing from this list. 

I'm surprised that I've seen quite a number from here, though I would count half of what's here as horror.

I don't often see people recommending The House of the Devil, which is a deliciously spooky slow burn.  

Off the top of my head, [REC] comes to mind, especially the last 10 minutes which are possibly the most scared I've ever been at a movie. 

The VVitch is as bad a film as I have seen in awhile. 

On 9/8/2017 at 10:04 PM, Matt C said:

IT: Chapter One

The new adaptation is funny and scary. The whole group of kid actors are fantastic and have a great camaraderie with one another -- which really helps you root for them when Pennywise the clown shows up. Andy Muschietti does a fine job of balancing the laughs with the scares, leavened with a sense of unease and tension. Bill Skarsgard makes for a deliriously animalistic and terrifying Pennywise, nothing like Tim Curry's campy performance in the 1990 miniseries. The film is bloody when it needs to be, but not overly gratuitous. The CG effects are noticeably dodgy, especially near the end when the kids are battling the clown, but it didn't dampen the experience much.

The director and writers nicely structure the film as a complete experience, so it stands on its own. But considering how it's performing at the box office now, expect It: Chapter Two to be fast-tracked for September 2019.

It is a fabulous film. I hope the second part begins with the murder of the gay guy. I would recommend an acquaintance but that is- a pleasure I will reserve for myself. So I volunteer me. What does a gay cow eat?

Haaaaaaaaaaay.

On 9/9/2017 at 11:41 AM, Jay said:

Wait, does it actually say "Chapter One" on screen in the movie?

At the end credits not the beginning credits

On 9/11/2017 at 10:21 AM, Quintus said:

Is the second series of American Horror Story better than the first? I really enjoyed around half of S1, but I just thought it really dragged out before it finished its story arc and I never completed it.

AHS-Asylum is-the best horror series of all time.

We have discussed this before. You are not a horror fan. I think its a worthwhile film but perhaps not your cup of tea.

RLM was lukewarm to it for the same reasons I've grown bored and impatient with supernatural horror flicks lately -- the damn jump scares and loud noises that momentarily startle you but they don't resonate. Nocturnal Animals was scarier than any of these cookie cutter jump scare flicks, and that film conveyed some disturbing psychological horror.

It-poster-620x919.jpg?resize=620,919

It had all the pluses and minuses pretty much as written here: a great cast and visuals, the underlying youth angst and spirit were really wonderfully realized, but the horror aspect is realized as crude, unimaginative rip-off of countless tv series (at this point AHS, of course, but countless others, too). The relative poetry of the first It scare with the floating paper ship in the sewer is soon replaced by unbearably loud sound effects and jump scares that pretty much destroy any chance of making this unique.

That being said, the casting is wonderful - in sharp contrast to the ABC series even the bullies work - and i'm in for Part 2.

Bottom line: i wish someone would do a YT job on this, turning all the sfx down and putting a hardworking Goldsmith or Horner 80's score behind it and it might become a classic.

I Am Not Your Negro - It's good, and it's a non-conventional documentary with a relevant message regarding race, but there was some writing in Baldwin's late writing that I didn't get, particularly regarding his criticism of lightweight entertainment (Gary Cooper had been long dead by the time he wrote that). I get that was that point, but it just seemed odd to me. Otherwise it was very good. 8 / 10

The Shape of Water - Saw this at the tribune screenings at the Dartmouth, and wow. It really does live up to the hype. It truly is magical. Hawkins deserves the Oscar, she's brilliantly conveys emotions with a lack of dialogue, & the rest of the supporting cast is great too. It may have surpassed Dunkirk as my favorite film of the year. It's that good.

10 / 10

Just got out of a screening of Hostiles. For a modern day western it was pretty good, typical of the genre & the inspirations were obvious of course, but it worked. Bale was actually really good, very subdued as well. 7 / 10

17 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

So it's basically a Sally Hawkins movie?

She's the lead & the focus is almost entirely on her.

American Assassin - action thriller that moved at a fair old lick and was lent a touch of class by having Michael Keaton and David Suchet on board. Such was the bloodiness of the violence, it was certified 18 which was a refreshing change from these sorts of movies increasingly aiming for a 12A to drag in the teens (who then proceed to chat and look at their phones anyway).  

it_film_2017.jpg?strip=all&w=960

It

Not bad. The kids are great, characterization is done well and Skarsgard makes a good Pennywise. But it's a shame that most of these scares are so predictable and pedestrian. They do very little to distinguish them from your typical modern horror bag of tricks. Pennywise is too often diminished to a blistering CG/effects fest. The film could benefit more from more scenes like the opening. Wallfisch's score, at least for the scares, certainly don't help. Best scare was the bathroom scene, which had a great Carrie-esque vibe. 

Still, entertaining enough. Count me onboard for Part II.

Even being a diehard HP fan who knows all 7 books inside out, I couldn't make it through that one. In an hour, I found nothing that would keep my attention, only CG spectacle (that wasn't too spectacular), boring characters, no real conflict, and a colour scheme so bland it ALMOST put Yates's previous HP efforts to shame.

1 hour ago, KK said:

Pennywise is too often diminished to a blistering CG/effects fest.

Yes, say what you will about the rest of the movie, but in the original film Pennywise felt more like an actual character (while also being a malevolent force).  I think a lot of that was down to Tim Curry, though, and Skarsgard is no Tim Curry in terms of being able to build character from within a supernatural, makeup heavy role.

Song to Song - Terrance Malick

Image result for song to song malick thumbnail

The official plot description of this film sounded incredibly banal compared to the first two Malick films I had seen -- The Tree of Life and The Thin Red Line. Why would I want to watch a rock 'n' roll love story? And why would Malick want to make one? 

Luckily, there was a lot more to the film than the description suggested. Still, like Tree, this was a difficult watch for much of its running time. There were about a gazillion sex scenes, which started to get old really fast. Furthermore, the first two thirds of the film were very depressing. Basically everyone was in an unhappy relationship, wandering through life for pleasurable experiences that didn't last very long. During this segment, I was not very happy with the film, unsure of what meaning I was supposed to gain from it. But as it started to move into the third act, I began to really think about whether the film could be seen as a warning against relationships not born of true unconditional love ... or even, more broadly, about the stress and heartbreak that human society causes, and whether it is worth going through it. 

Pretty soon, Malick made it clear that, indeed, I had grasped his meaning. The viewer was supposed to feel depressed during the first two acts, to provide a set up for a beautiful sigh of relief in the third. The main character, played by Rooney Mara, discovers, "I took sex, a gift, and played with it. I played with the flame of life," as she says in one of her voice-overs. Another line: “Mercy was a word. I never thought I needed it.” 

In other words, this is an almost Biblical tale of redemption and forgiveness, steeped in Christian values. The third act unfolds with an almost jaw-dropping spiritual intensity. As the Independent's critic brilliantly put it in his five-star review (one of the few that did not pan the film), "It is suffused with that feeling of when you want to cry but can't." That's exactly how I felt. Tears started to form, but stopped at the edge of my eye. 

After seeing the film last night, I read an article on a Catholic website praising the film. The author suggested that one major reason for the generally terrible reviews Malick's last several films have gotten might be that they are challenging. As the author puts it, Malick is asking the viewer to convert to the values he's laying out, and that might make many viewers quite uncomfortable. It certainly makes me uncomfortable, despite currently being raised on fairly strong Catholic values. But I think it's something that's important to think about, and there's no better way to restart the conversation than with Malick's beautiful visual poems. 

3 hours ago, Holko said:

Even being a diehard HP fan who knows all 7 books inside out, I couldn't make it through that one. In an hour, I found nothing that would keep my attention, only CG spectacle (that wasn't too spectacular), boring characters, no real conflict, and a colour scheme so bland it ALMOST put Yates's previous HP efforts to shame.

Except for this broad:

Queenie-Goldstein-queenie-goldstein-3947

She was a worthy Potter character. They're obviously just doing this for money, but sadly it seems that J.K. can be bought out with remarkable ease these days considering how weak this and the play were.

Downsizing - Saw this at the telluride screenings in Dartmouth. Actually liked it quite a bit. It's really funny and surprisingly fairly deep too. It's less about the fantastical elements and more about the mundane in typical Payne fashion. Damon's good but Waltz may be the MVP. A lot of his lines and delivery, had my theater rolling with laughing anyway. 7.5 / 10

6 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

There's a quirkiness to Lynch's work that makes even his worst tendencies tolerable. Malick on the other hand takes itself too seriously, all this to come up with schoolgrade philosophy, which makes most of his films a huge repellent for me. Shame, because the guy offers some great cinematography and knows how to use music properly.

Blasphemy!