What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

Yes, Richard, The Electric Horseman was their last time together.

“The only problem with working with Bob is that I just look into his . . . I kind of fall into his eyes and forget my dialogue,” she said. “God so good looking.” -Jane Fonda

Alex

PS: Would love to rewatch Jeremiah Johnson (the original The Revenant) but I need to find the blu-ray first.

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Little Pony

Considering that the show has a rabid "Brony" fanbase in addition to little girls -- and didn't do anything for me -- the movie is more of the same. It's the new characters (voiced by an all-star cast) that make the film bearable.

Fans will love the movie. Everyone else won't.

Well, you have to be open-minded about some films... I have to say, Emily Blunt can carve out a second job in voice acting if she wants to.

--

Kids -- Wow. Some aspects are pretty shocking (especially back in 1995), but it's crudely scripted, acted, and put together. The dialogue isn't meaningful or memorable, just teenagers cussing, acting up and mostly talking about sex. Leo Fitzpatrick's character is despicable, and yet it's hilarious how his character manages to devirginize all these girls. Chloe Sevigny and Rosario Dawson are the bright spots in this ugly, nihilistic film.

Well Blade runner will be out of the theatres next wedk and on BR much sooner than anticipated. 

That was to be expected. A serious, esoteric arthouse SF movie and a sequel to something the masses has little affection for?! They should have marketed it as a superhero movie. It's like Hollywood doesn't recognize its own audience, the audience they have created. Heck, maybe WB solely made it for prestige. Now they have to make a lot of simplistic kids movies to make up for it. Anyway, I won't be watching this until its available for home entertainment and something tells me I will not be the only one. 

6 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

That was to be expected. A serious, esoteric arthouse SF movie and a sequel to something the masses has little affection for?! They should have marketed it as a superhero movie. It's like Hollywood doesn't recognize its own audience, the audience they have created. Heck, maybe WB solely made it for prestige. Now they have to make a lot of simplistic kids movies to make up for it. Anyway, I won't be watching this until its available for home entertainment and something tells me I will not be the only one. 

Well this is why this movie is tanking. You should be part of the audience that is most likely to support this, and yet you're passing. 

That's not a criticism, just an observation. But your choice is ironically contributing to the perpetuation of the kind of movies you say you decry being made.

5 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

Well this is why this movie is tanking. You should be part of the audience that is most likely to support this, and yet you're passing. 

That's not a criticism, just an observation. But your choice is ironically contributing to the perpetuation of the kind of movies you say you decry being made.

You definitely have a point but I'm no longer part of the ticket-paying audience. It's up to you, the new generation, to save cinema. Good luck! 

You think they'll halt the Dune film due to this underperforming?

5 hours ago, Quintus said:

Indeed. Why dafuq should they dare to make anything but superhero movies these days? Taking chances is thankless. It doesn't pay. 

Hey, they can make Star Wars remakes!

3 minutes ago, Brónach said:

I'd bet on it. They're at least taking a second look at it right now, you can be sure of that.

I just watched the latest McG masterpiece, The Babysitter. A Netflix Original Movie starring yet another Australian babe. I recommend this one to Drax because the babysitter is like a young Jeri Ryan and lists her dream team to save the universe, which includes Kirk and Picard, Captain Hiller and David from ID4 and Ripley. This scene should correct your erectile dysfunction.

The Meyerowitz Stories (New and Selected) [Noah Baumbach, 2017]

really liked this.  Definitely Baumbach's best film since The Squid and the Whale.  Three siblings (Adam Sandler, Ben Stiller, and Elizabeth Marvel) have various reasons for being resentful of their artist father (Dustin Hoffman).  Over the film the siblings reconnect with each other and their father.  A tried and true dramatic story to be sure, but excels in the quirks and details.  Sandler is such a good actor when he's asked to be and I haven't seen Stiller this strong in years, they both give really great performances.  There's an especially great showcase for them both when they have to give speeches at an opening for one of their dad's art pieces.  I wasn't familiar with Marvel, but she was also really good, funny in a deadpan style.  Oh!  And Emma Thompson is also enjoyable in a small role as Hoffman's fourth wife.

Sandler's daughter in the film is a college freshman who makes bizarre amateur films that are just hilarious.  Made me laugh out loud.

The movie was bitingly funny and sour but still touching.  So many of Baumbach's most disappointing films never seem to rise above being sour and grouchy, but this one has a warm glow by the end.

Randy Newman's score was unobtrusive, jazzy in a New Yorky-Woody Allen vibe.  It was inspired to close the movie with Newman's 1972 classic song "Old Man."

Highly recommended to those with Netflix!

On 10/12/2017 at 1:18 PM, Alexcremers said:

You definitely have a point but I'm no longer part of the ticket-paying audience. It's up to you, the new generation, to save cinema. Good luck! 

Unfortunately the current movie-going audience is fine with mostly watching movies at home, streamed, and only going to the theater for a big event film. Given how expensive tickets are, I don't think I can necessarily blame them.

On 10/12/2017 at 2:24 PM, Brónach said:

Wouldn't surprise me if it got delayed, and Villeneuve wound up doing a Bond film or something. He did say he was interested in making a Bond movie anyway. 

On 10/13/2017 at 10:17 PM, Disco Stu said:

I wasn't familiar with Marvel, but she was also really good, funny in a deadpan style. 

She's probably best known for playing Heather Dunbar on House of Cards which she then left to play the POTUSA on Homeland.

She also showed up as a lesbian hairdresser on Fargo.

2 hours ago, Woj said:

I'd rather watch movies at home. The last one I saw in the theater was Rogue One. The next will likely be The Last Jedi. 

A Netflixer for me. See, in a way, I'm still trying to save cinema. ;)

3 hours ago, Fancyarcher said:

Unfortunately the current movie-going audience is fine with mostly watching movies at home, streamed, and only going to the theater for a big event film. Given how expensive tickets are, I don't think I can necessarily blame them.

Based on a study? I mean if this is true then it's all over for film (unless the future of movies is streaming like Our Souls At Night)

MV5BMzU4ODQ5MDc5OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMjk4

31 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Based on a study? I mean if this is true then it's all over for film (unless the future of movies is streaming like Our Souls At Night)

MV5BMzU4ODQ5MDc5OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMjk4

Pretty much. Occasionally will get a mid-budget big hit, but people will generally save their money for the blockbusters. How movies will be financed will be much different though, with studios like Netflix putting up money for less blockbuster films, like say Our Souls At Night. Should be interesting at least.

I suppose it the same for music where the most interesting artists are no longer the ones being signed by the major labels. Music and film go much more hand in hand then we all think!

7 hours ago, Fancyarcher said:

Wouldn't surprise me if it got delayed, and Villeneuve wound up doing a Bond film or something. He did say he was interested in making a Bond movie anyway. 

Wow, that's a huge drop in boredom, from a seemingly interesting Blade Runner to a Bond.

6 hours ago, Jay said:

She's probably best known for playing Jackie Sharp on House of Cards which she then left to play the POTUSA on Homeland.

Yes, once I looked up a picture of her from Fargo I remembered her.  She’s looks very different in The Meyerowitz Stories, a really good performance.

9 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

The Meyerowitz Stories (New and Selected) [Noah Baumbach, 2017]

really liked this.  Definitely Baumbach's best film since The Squid and the Whale.  Three siblings (Adam Sandler, Ben Stiller, and Elizabeth Marvel) have various reasons for being resentful of their artist father (Dustin Hoffman).  Over the film the siblings reconnect with each other and their father.  A tried and true dramatic story to be sure, but excels in the quirks and details.  Sandler is such a good actor when he's asked to be and I haven't seen Stiller this strong in years, they both give really great performances.  There's an especially great showcase for them both when they have to give speeches at an opening for one of their dad's art pieces.  I wasn't familiar with Marvel, but she was also really good, funny in a deadpan style.  Oh!  And Emma Thompson is also enjoyable in a small role as Hoffman's fourth wife.

Sandler's daughter in the film is a college freshman who makes bizarre amateur films that are just hilarious.  Made me laugh out loud.

The movie was bitingly funny and sour but still touching.  So many of Baumbach's most disappointing films never seem to rise above being sour and grouchy, but this one has a warm glow by the end.

Randy Newman's score was unobtrusive, jazzy in a New Yorky-Woody Allen vibe.  It was inspired to close the movie with Newman's 1972 classic song "Old Man."

Highly recommended to those with Netflix!

Sounds like The Royal Tenenbaums ;)

Thanks for the write up, wasn’t even aware Baumbach was making another film. 

7 hours ago, Jay said:

She's probably best known for playing Jackie Sharp on House of Cards which she then left to play the POTUSA on Homeland.

Jackie Sharp was Alma from Deadwood

alma-garret-1024.jpg

Karol

6 hours ago, Brónach said:

Wow, that's a huge drop in boredom, from a seemingly interesting Blade Runner to a Bond.

Unfortunately, Blade Runner's a financial flop. He's gotta somehow please the studios, so it wouldn't surprise me if he directed a more "mainstream action blockbuster" soon.

Snow Steam Iron

SnowSteamIron.jpg

I felt the music didn't help the movie to tell its story but you can definitely recognize Snyder's cinematic comic book style even though cinematographer Larry Fong wasn't present.

7 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Snow Steam Iron

SnowSteamIron.jpg

I felt the music didn't help the movie to tell its story but you can definitely recognize Snyder's cinematic comic book style even though cinematographer Larry Fong wasn't present.

Shot with an iPhone, right?

On 14/10/2017 at 10:58 AM, The Doctor said:

I just watched the latest McG masterpiece, The Babysitter. A Netflix Original Movie starring yet another Australian babe. I recommend this one to Drax because the babysitter is like a young Jeri Ryan and lists her dream team to save the universe, which includes Kirk and Picard, Captain Hiller and David from ID4 and Ripley. This scene should correct your erectile dysfunction.

I've added it to my IMDb watchlist.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Shot with an iPhone, right?

Yes, Snyder shot it with his iphone just for fun. It's Snyder on the cheap but Snyder nonetheless. It kills the myth that Fong is the true talent behind Snyder.

Do you agree that the music is very wrong? (probably free of rights) Tailor-made music would have made a lot of difference.

I Don’t Feel At Home In This World Anymore [Macon Blair, 2017]

Two very enthusiastic thumbs up, fine holiday fun.  Comic thriller with Melanie Lynskey befriending her eccentric, lovable neighbor (Elijah Wood) to investigate the robbery of her home to track down the robber and confront them.  Also about the dehumanization of modern society and how human beings connect with each other.

4 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I Don’t Feel At Home In This World Anymore 

I know somebody didn't agree with you but come on!

;)

Thor: Ragnarok. Just when you thought Marvel couldn't squeeze in any more jokes into one film, wait till you see this one. Thing is, just like with Guardians 2, it doesn't work. For some reason, it felt like 3 hours long as well, it's paced so poorly. Felt like 2 or 3 different movies. Some good ingredients here and there but not much else. It runs mostly on jokes so you don't really care about what's happening.

What I actually liked is how it brings the Thor trilogy to a close. Some of the plot lines are nicely resolved. That would be it. 

The score makes very little impression, aside from brief quotes from Doyle and Tyler.

My cinema companions loved it though because it was "funny". So what do I know...

Karol