What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Jay said:

Which ones are the best?

I am quite partial to his take on As You Like It. Beautifully shot, a lovely Doyle score, and a surprisingly endearing performance by Bryce Dallas Howard.

You also can't go wrong with As You Like It; I like it and Whedon's equally well for different reasons.

Cinderella is solid. I also very much enjoyed Doyle's score too. I love Branagh's versions of Hamlet & Much Ado About Nothing as well. He's been doing a lot more mainstream fare as of late as a filmmaker, and well I can't really blame him.

Also my review of Murder on the Orient Express.

https://dailyuv.com/feed/931266

Thanks! Yeah, I really liked the way they set that up too, and the film seems to be doing well enough at the box office, so I'm curious if they'll make a follow-up. Death on the Nile makes the most sense, since it's the most second popular Poirot novel after Orient. 

And you know, the fact that they talk about that case at the very end of the current film. 

Seems everyone here disliked it anyway. I feel vindicated. Take that old man B.B.!

For this particular movie, i just cannot imagine a better version as the 1974 one - as in, the right kind of old style british and Hollywood talent still available to bring this off in grand style. Connery, Finney, Bergman, Bacall, Widmark, Gielgud, Wendy Hiller, Perkins etc. - do we even have recognizable actors in that age range nowadays?

murder-on-the-orient-express-1974-albert

1 hour ago, BloodBoal said:

Fancyarcher and Sweeping Strings are two of the finest members of this community!

Plus, as you say in your signature:

Disco Stu is always wrong except for when I say so. Obviously. 

I don't think it's a bad movie, necessarily.  Just quite mediocre and misjudged in many places.  I thought the climax was actually very well handled.  It just doesn't hold a candle to the Suchet version.

What I hope to get out of any film?  All the various elements of filmmaking adding up to an entertaining movie.  Well-drawn characters, interesting mise en scène, pacing that fits the story being told, etc., etc. etc.

A story well-told for the medium, basically.

Also, I just love whodunnits as a genre.  It has nothing to do with "knowing how it ends."  It's the trappings and tropes I always enjoy.

23 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Also, I just love whodunnits as a genre.  It has nothing to do with "knowing how it ends."  It's the trappings and tropes I always enjoy.

When done well it can be diverting entertainment.

And when done really well, as in the Suchet version of Orient Express, it can even be a bit more than just diverting.  That version gets really interesting, thematically.  It takes stuff that was explored to a certain extent in the Christie novel, the concept of justice, who has the right to dispense it, and how Poirot's faith in both God and the human institutions of justice affects his views, and really runs with it in fascinating ways.

Wasn't it while filming Murder by Death where Alec Guinness was first reading the script for Star Wars?  I think I heard a story to that effect in the special features for the Murder by Death DVD (which I rented from the library many many years ago)

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

When done well it can be diverting entertainment.

That can be said about everything. I just want to hear something more specific. You know, some people like horror movies because they like to feel scared. I couldn't make out what it is that people like about MOTOE.

4 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

That can be said about everything. I just want to hear something more specific. You know, some people like horror movies because they like to feel scared. I couldn't make out what it is that people like about MOTOE.

People like a mystery, a puzzle.

You find that weird?

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

People like a mystery, a puzzle.

You find that weird?

Is it not true that the only reason why you like a detective mystery is because of ...

datageordi.jpg

Zzzzzzz

Also, for a movie about mystery, nobody here even mentioned mystery or the quality of the mystery in MOTOE.

8 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

And I call bullshit on that. 

Not arsed

Poirot has been a Sunday TV institution in the UK for my whole life. The various movies must have been on the box about as much as The Great Escape and Bond have.