What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

Yeah, they don't play them anymore I've noticed, but up until around five years ago one could find a Carry On film on one of the channels at least once per week.

I've spotted On the Buses on one of the low rent freeview channels in the last year though, which genuinely surprised me.

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

You find that weird?

Forget it, Stiff. It's Cremers. 

56 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

I both 'don't matter' and am 'one of the finest members of this community'? 

I had no idea I was so polarising  :huh:

I was just trying to make a point! You do not honestly believe I think that, do you? Who are you anyway? The janitor?

42 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

How many have there been?

I've seen the Finney & Suchet.  In addition to the Branagh, what else is there?

An Alfred Molina version, and that's it.

La La Land

I did not go into this with any expectations. I watched it just now, Wednesday before lunch - a timeslot where I was completely prepared to shut it off in disinterest and do something else. Turns out I absolutely adored it! Now lunch is late and I'm really hungry because I couldn't step away from it for one second. It did what very few films can do - earn a permanent spot on my hard drive before it was even over, and after that epilogue, the DVD got on my short-term shopping list along with the soundtrack.

1 hour ago, Holko said:

La La Land

I did not go into this with any expectations. I watched it just now, Wednesday before lunch - a timeslot where I was completely prepared to shut it off in disinterest and do something else. Turns out I absolutely adored it! Now lunch is late and I'm really hungry because I couldn't step away from it for one second. It did what very few films can do - earn a permanent spot on my hard drive before it was even over, and after that epilogue, the DVD got on my short-term shopping list along with the soundtrack.

Brother!

Wonderful bonbon of a film.  My playlist of all the songs and score cues has gotten much play this year.

21 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Forget it, Stiff. It's Cremers. 

I was just trying to make a point! You do not honestly believe I think that, do you? Who are you anyway? The janitor?

An Alfred Molina version, and that's it.

15795.jpg

Could be. 

6 minutes ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

Justice League

Well, that was fucking awful.

Shallow, poorly told and devoid of human emotion. So about what you'd expect from a Zack Snyder film. I should have known better. Avoid.

Joss Whedon.

35 minutes ago, crocodile said:

This one is under 2hrs actually.

Karol

It is? I thought I saw someone say it was 3 hours long a couple of weeks ago. Oh well, I'll give it a whirl sometime then.

Read a Justice League review today that said the 'take this movie away and make it funnier!' bits have been very obviously 'inserted' ... they mostly consist of the Flash making some wisecrack or other in front of a CGI background, and apparently there's another bit with Affleck lying on what is clearly fake grass.     

9 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

apparently there's another bit with Affleck lying on what is clearly fake grass.     

That's pathetic

3 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Joss Whedon.

Whedon could not save this. 

I floated somewhere between constant annoyance and crippling boredom for most if the film's running time. There are a few vague glimmers of potentially interesting dynamics here and there, but the movie just shrugs them off and quickly moves on to the next action set piece. This happens repeatedly. As it is, the film provides zero reason for the audience to get involved on any level. It is truly bad filmmaking.

Were people running around in costumes?

Did people get smashed into walls?

Was there a CGI villain?

Did the superheroes crack jokes to each other while they were fighting?

Was there a scene where all is lost right before all is won?

Was there at least one post-credits scene?

Yes? Then how's it different than any other superhero movie?

8 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

Were people running around in costumes?

Did people get smashed into walls?

Was there a CGI villain?

Did the superheroes crack jokes to each other while they were fighting?

Was there a scene where is all is lost right before all is won?

Was there at least one post-credits scene?

Yes? Then how's it different than any superhero movie?

You've listed the ingredients but not how well it was cooked.

Justice League

Mr. Breathmask said it all. This atrocious filmmaking and I really need to stop spending money on such crap. Nothing in this film is praiseworthy

Did you somehow miss Gale Gadot? ;) I haven't seen the movie, but I'm pretty sure she's in it.

Gale Gadot could simply stand in front of a green screen for two hours in that costume and the movie would have something that's praiseworthy!

Justice League

I was pleasantly surprised. Let me make it clear it's a Snyder film with Whedon spackling some of the rougher edges (so those who still despise Snyder's work should steer clear). And while it's a brisk two hours, too much of the plot fat was trimmed (could've used a bit more backstory on Barry Allen and Cyborg). And Steppenwolf is one of the worst comic-book villains since Thor: The Dark World's Malekith. And some of the action could've been staged and edited better, although the plot is simple and well-laid out compared to the murky Batman v. Superman.

However, the cast chemistry was fantastic. I chuckled in some places and laughed out loud one time at the Whedon quips (especially the Aquaman lasso-of-truth scene), and the film's worst kept secret (but not revealed in the trailers) works.

This is the Superman fans wanted but didn't get in Man of Steel or Batman v. Superman,

and I was happy when the credits rolled. Elfman's score is effective if somewhat muffled by the sound mix.

3 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Interesting to read a more positive leaning review. Every one I've read so far makes it sound like another Suicide Squad.

Some reviewers are overly hyperbolic. Say what you want about JL, it is not a hot mess like Squad.

JL is lighter and more family friendly, and I feel the audience word-of-mouth will be more positive than the critics'.

7 hours ago, JohnSolo said:

I applaud Zack Snyder for destroying an entire cinematic universe faster than any other filmmaker in Hollywood. Bravo, sir.

Really? I didn't know he was involved with Universal's Dark Universe!

12 hours ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

Justice League

Well, that was fucking awful.

Shallow, poorly told and devoid of human emotion. So about what you'd expect from a Zack Snyder film. I should have known better. Avoid.

Didn't you see the trailer?

Justice League. This film is such a mess. As a piece of filmmaking, almost too baffling to comprehend. But..entertaining in places. At least it's (re)done by someone who understands these characters. Especially...

Spoiler

...Henry Cavill's Superman. He actually feels right this time... somewhat lighthearted, whimsical and even charming. Even his costume is brighter.

Karol

4 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

And apparently making them more Marvel-ish (lighthearted, fluffy, jokes every few seconds, ...) is misunderstanding the dark DC approach.

dawn-of-justice-rousseau.jpg

Karol

20 minutes ago, Quintus said:

So, will this come to rank alongside Batman & Robin in the annals of Hollywood superhero turkeys?

Batman & Robin is a more coherent film.

It will anger a lot of DC fans as the film betrays the tone of the first 3 films and ends up being much more lighthearted while simultaneously still remaining a half-Snyder film. It's so hilariously inconsistent. With some really bad special effects and no real plot whatsoever. But it does have its (guilty) pleasures. 

It's all the bad things reviews point out. But at the same time it will please a lot of people. All of that while not being good at all. It's hard to explain.

Karol

2 hours ago, Baby Jane Hudson said:

I've lost track of even the Marvel movies because I've lost interest.

+

2 hours ago, Baby Jane Hudson said:

I'm tempted to buy the Wonder Woman 4K blu-ray as a blind buy. 

:eh: