What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of his movies are more coherent than Civil War. Even the long cut of BvS was surprisingly focused on the feud between Supes and Bats, until the finale, that is.

19 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

But it lacked the coherence and focus of Winter Soldier. 

Oh completely, such a let down.

People loved it though.

19 hours ago, crocodile said:

How so?

Karol

Snyder's films arent that incoherent. BvS is not the default 

People at JWFan Free, sure.

10 minutes ago, crocodile said:

How so?

Different tones because they want to adapt the tone to the individual characters. Story get burried under the sheer amount of different superheroes and villains. Saw it twice and it's a collection of of big action scenes. They need to learn that sometimes  less is more.

9 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

People at JWFan Free, sure.

Different tones because they want to adapt the tone to the individual characters. Story get burried under the sheer amount of different superheroes and villains. Saw it twice and it's a collection of of big action scenes. They need to learn that sometimes  less is more.

There is one big action superhero sequence in this. Rest is more grounded.

Karol

The rest is no longer seen as big? Oh, my! Where it it all going to end?

Furthermore it's incoherent because it wants to be more Avengers than Captain America. 

1 hour ago, Romão said:

I'm really not sure about that. And at least those two movies have great scores and cinematography

I'm not entirely sure if you were referring to Batman & Robin here, but surely not - it's one of the most visually trashy films ever made, I've always thought. Hideous looking in every scene.

Justice League is much better than the two piles of shit Zack Snyder made previously. I really can't say he has ever truly made a film I would love. I hope he never directs again. 

4 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Oh completely, such a let down.

People loved it though.

Snyder's films arent that incoherent. BvS is not the default 

His films are shit. Watchmen should be called unwatchable, everything that made Dawn of the Dead a grade Z classic was missing in the terrible remake. 

6 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

Justice League is much better than the two piles of shit ...

Holy Batman, that bad, huh? Well, at least my trailer reading abilities are still intact. 

8 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

Justice League is much better than the two piles of shit Zack Snyder made previously. I really can't say he has ever truly made a film I would love. I hope he never directs again. 

His films are shit. Watchmen should be called unwatchable, everything that made Dawn of the Dead a grade Z classic was missing in the terrible remake. 

So, Jo, would you say that Snyder is the Brett Ratner of the MCU?

I certainly have studied the masters: David Lean, Hitchcock, Kubrick, you know, everybody. Directors that continue to inspire me? Ridley Scott. I'll go to see any Ridley Scott movie, even the ones that bomb, to me are great because of the fabric of the film making... I'm also inspired by — these are established filmmakers now but I remember being very inspired by them when they first broke on the scene, like Zack Snyder and Robert Rodriguez, guys that were just creating their own new cinematic language."- James Cameron

31 minutes ago, Romão said:

Cameron also said this:

Of course he wants his brainchild to succeed, even if it is without him. However, he tells quite a different story now that he's going back to the franchise ... But why would he lie about the directors that inspire or impressed him? There's no gain for him there. There's no connection. Cameron stated in many interviews that to him film is visual language. That's how he watches movies. 

BTW, Cameron doesn't mention titles but we can be sure he's referring to 300 (Snyder) and Sin City (Rodriguez). Cameron has always been a fan of the graphic novel style and Metal Hurlant artists, just like Ridley Scott.

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets.

It seems to me that Besson get lost a little bit with this one.

And the music, my god, it bothered me all the movie. 

Alexandre Desplats... I really don't like him. This is said.

Philomena

philomena.jpg

Jedi Dench is much more than that M character in the James Bond movies, folks! The movie itself succeeds to be fairly lighthearted about a serious topic. However, I did feel Stephen Frears wanted to win over the hearts of the public a little too eagerly, but all in all, the end result is not overly corny.  Alexandre Deplat's score fits the movie like a glove. 6/10

Alexandre

MV5BMjA5NzUwODExM15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNjM0

Lens Flare - The Movie(R)

Viscous, gabby Moby Dick-variation that again shows Ron Howard as emissary of technical proficiency alone, with none of the necessary epic human scope that made Melville's book such a classic - think of dramatic scenes resembling a school play with 14-year olds trying their hand at 'Who's afraid of Virgina Woolf'. The ruse is that a young Herman Melville meets the last survivor of a ship that has been battling the white whale - the story of how the crew coped being lost at sea, with desperation leading to cannibalism. This framing story with Brendon Gleeson, typecast perfectly,  is vastly more interesting than the effects-laden real story with its telegraphed conflicts and cardboard characterizations (Chris Hemsworth, Benjamin Walker, Cillian Murphy struggling manfully).

Visually we get stylized skies and lightning effects that obviously...maybe?...try to update John Huston's and cameraman's Oswald Morris' alluring dy-processed copperplate photography in the 1956 Moby Dick version. What once was a brave artistic experiment now looks like a video game with garish digital lens flares coming in from all directions (Greg Peck and Huston really boarded a vessel and set out to sea, Hemsworth and Co. very apparently sit in anchored surroundings before a green screen).

Seafaring movies are fun, of course, so the eye candy factor sees you through, but the stilted dramatic situations and faux-important tries at dramatic substance (cue dramatic trial at the end!) make this another missed opportunity. I did review the score once, which in its action moments of course is Zimmerized to the hilt but in its grander, epic moments has a nice vibe of musical craftmanship with a long-lined memorable theme, part Morricone, part Horner (it was composed by Roque Banos). It's enough for a Netflix sunday viewing but given the expense and the famous book it is based on, it should have been so much more.

1 hour ago, Baby Jane Hudson said:

He was great in The Shadow.

Apparently he played a good wizard in Lord of the Rings. Not that the heathens here would know anything about that. 

Justice League -  Well I didn't hate it, but it wasn't exactly anything to write home about either. The league themselves were varying degrees of fine, Flash was annoying and overdone, Cyborg was bland, but I did like Aquaman, and Ben Affleck as Batman again, even if you could tell he was probably through with the role, Gal Gadot has proven to be a solid Wonder Woman too, even if the lack of a better film does affect her performance somewhat, but what really dragged the film down for me was the CGI. God was it bad, and don't even get me started on Steppenwolf. Out of all of the bad recent CBM villains, I think he might be the worse. Talk about "Mr. Evil villain". I will say I did like Superman though, even with his short screentime, it's easily Cavil's best performance of the character. It was cool to see him actually be bright and use his freeze breath, that was an awesome scene.

Overall a mixed bag, but I'm looking forward to the future DC films. Hopefully after Justice League, it's less of a bumpy ride.  -  5.5 / 10

Coco

I really like the setting (Dia de Muertos is ripe for cinematic exploration), the animation is typically Pixar lush... but I felt a sense of deja vu with the story itself. The story of Miguel wanting to become a musician despite his parents and grandmother wanting him to stay in the shoemaking business... you've seen it done before. There are some poignant scenes, but I felt a sense of disconnect with the film. 

I really wanted to like this movie... nay, love it... but it just didn't click for me. 

Just rewatched War for the Planet of the Apes on Blu-ray. Yeah, still think it is the best-directed blockbuster film of the year and a very emotional finale to a surprisingly good trilogy. It's not that the content of the film is so revolutionary. In all fairness, it's full of references to other, usually war-related, films. But the execution is top notch. Finally, we get a massive production that is mostly driven by visuals with VERY little exposition of any kind. It might be a tad too long perhaps but it flows nicely from shot to shot, from scene to scene. Also a rare example of a trilogy where the third instalment is better the the first two combined. Well done, Matt Reeves.

Karol

10 hours ago, crocodile said:

Just rewatched War for the Planet of the Apes on Blu-ray. Yeah, still think it is the best-directed blockbuster film of the year and a very emotional finale to a surprisingly good trilogy. It's not that the content of the film is so revolutionary. In all fairness, it's full of references to other, usually war-related, films. But the execution is top notch. Finally, we get a massive production that is mostly driven by visuals with VERY little exposition of any kind. It might be a tad too long perhaps but it flows nicely from shot to shot, from scene to scene. Also a rare example of a trilogy where the third instalment is better the the first two combined. Well done, Matt Reeves.

Karol

How different we all are! I thought it was the worst of the bunch. There was something about it that I didn't like but I don't remember it. 

I remember apes or men in cages. I also remember a big finale where it turns out that the military base was surrounded by barrels of gas or something else that was extremely explosive. Eh ...