What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

I remember apes or men in cages. I also remember a big finale where it turns out that the military base was surrounded by barrels of gas or something else that was extremely explosive. Eh ...

Focusing too much on plot. The least interesting thing about it. I thought the film was beautifully made. 

The "what" interests me less than "how" in this particular case.

Karol

I don't think it is either. It falls apart when you take a hard look at it. It's just really a hodgepodge of set pieces that pay homage to one film or another. It's confidently directed, with some nice shots, I'll give you that. And it's nice to see that sense of style and patience in a big blockbuster. But it's not very good. Or at the very least, I came out pretty disappointed.

9 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

The 2001: A Space Odyssey of ape movies!

Where did I say that?

10 minutes ago, KK said:

I don't think it is either. It falls apart when you take a hard look at it. It's just really a hodgepodge of set pieces that pay homage to one film or another. It's confidently directed, with some nice shots, I'll give you that. And it's nice to see that sense of style and patience in a big blockbuster. But it's not very good. Or at the very least, I came out pretty disappointed.

Falls apart in what sense?

Karol

It's been a while since I've seen it. But I remember being taken by the beginning, and then feeling like I was jumping from film to film as it went on. Perhaps its because I found its style and tone misleading, since all that just ends up being window-dressing for a pretty conventional blockbuster anyway.

2 hours ago, crocodile said:

Where did I say that?

You didn't say it but the way you described the third ape movie (in particular how one should view it) is very much befitting for 2001: ASO.

1 hour ago, KK said:

a pretty conventional blockbuster anyway.

That's the feeling I got from it.

Just watched War for the Planet of the Apes myself.

More than any of the others in the current series of Apes movies, this one is told from the perspective of the apes. We see the story through their eyes.  Interesting that "The Colonel" is basically the only human character of note in the movie.

The CGI was amazing...I forgot that I was looking at computer created apes.  

This is more of a classic POW/escape movie than war movie, the title is a little deceiving.  It's more like a battle than war, and there really wasn't any kind of large scale to it. 

Nice writing in that it managed to make both the plight of Apes and humans sympathetic, including the Colonel. These are two species fighting for survival. 

End was expected, but still moving.

So it was OK. I have no desire to see it again. I still think the first of this current Apes series is the best, but I liked this one better than the last one with Oldman.  Will be interesting to see where they take the series next. A remake of the original, or something in between showing apes becoming the dominant species and enslaving humans?

5 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

Just watched War for the Planet of the Apes myself.

More than any of the others in the current series of Apes movies, this one is told from the perspective of the apes. We see the story through their eyes.  Interesting that "The Colonel" is basically the only human character of note in the movie.

The CGI was amazing...I forgot that I was looking at computer created apes.  

This is more of a classic POW/escape movie than war movie, the title is a little deceiving.  It's more like a battle than war, and there really wasn't any kind of large scale to it. 

Nice writing in that it managed to make both the plight of Apes and humans sympathetic, including the Colonel. These are two species fighting for survival. 

End with death of Caesar was expected, but still moving.

So it was OK. I have no desire to see it again. I still think the first of this current Apes series is the best, but I liked this one better than the last one with Oldman.  Will be interesting to see where they take the series next now that Caesar is dead.  A remake of the original, or something in between showing apes becoming the dominant species and enslaving humans?

What did you think of Giacchino's score?

19 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

What did you think of Giacchino's score?

Buy it...if you want a competent Giacchino score which complements the movie quite well and has some rather inspired highlights, even if does lack a single memorable theme.

Avoid it...if you are fond of action cues, or your staid, conservative tastes only allow you to enjoy Jerry Goldsmith's classic score for the original, or are expecting anything that can match Doyle's take on the material.

Just now, Nick1066 said:

Buy it...if you want a competent Giacchino score which complements the movie quite well and has some rather inspired highlights, even if does lack a single memorable theme.

Avoid it...if you are fond of action cues, or your staid, conservative tastes only allow you to enjoy Jerry Goldsmith's classic score for the original, or are expecting anything that can match Doyle's take on the material.

You imitate Filmtracks again and you get blocked!

4 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

You imitate Filmtracks again and you get blocked!

:lol:

Always wanted to do that just once, and you gave me an opp. :)

15 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Oh well, I suppose it saves me a watch. 

Well frack. Really sorry Quintus (and I'm serious about that), thought spoilers were allowed in this thread (and that most people would have known that particular one by now).  

Open spoilers for new movies?

"Most" people being aware of a how a movie that just came out on blu ray ends?

Are you serious?

Just now, Jay said:

Open spoilers for new movies?

"Most" people being aware of a how a movie that just came out on blu ray ends?

Are you serious?

Crikey Jay calm down.  How many times do you want me to say my bad?

9 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

Oh, back to this film. Am I the only one who thought that Rise should have been called Dawn, Dawn should have been called Rise, and War should have been called Battle?

On 12/07/2017 at 6:07 PM, BloodBoal said:

The one thing that bothers me the most about these movies are their titles.

Why would the rise come before the dawn? That's why I always mix them up, because it doesn't make sense to me.

3 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

You didn't say it but the way you described the third ape movie (in particular how one should view it) is very much befitting for 2001: ASO.

That's the feeling I got from it.

I don't hold 2001 is such a high regard anymore.

Karol

Wonder

It is sentimental, but it's earnest, insightful and not too emotionally manipulative. Some scenes, like the middle school bullying, hit close to home for me. There's no weak acting here, everyone here is perfectly cast. It was nice seeing Owen Wilson and Julia Roberts inhabit their characters and play off each other, but Jacob Tremblay and Izabela Vidovic are the standouts here. Good movie with a positive message.

8 hours ago, crocodile said:

Karol

I never did. I think overrated at best. Cold and emotionless. No joy. It minimized everything that makes space  films interesting.

Must chose between shape of water or man who invented Christmas tomorrow. Dan Stevens or Doug Jones.

12 hours ago, crocodile said:

Why would you? You have War Of The Planet Of The Apes now. :P

3 hours ago, Baby Jane Hudson said:

What's Dune like?

It's Fantasy, not Science Fiction. And you will definitely like a more than 2001: ASO, Drax. However, there's no nudity except for ...

watch_tan.jpg

On 30/11/2017 at 6:48 AM, Alexcremers said:

How different we all are! I thought it was the worst of the bunch. There was something about it that I didn't like but I don't remember it. 

Agreed, although I do remember what I didn't like about it ... for a summer blockbuster with 'War' in the title, it's slow-moving and too long. Much preferred the first 2 movies.      

On 11/25/2017 at 10:28 PM, Bespin said:

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets.

It seems to me that Besson get lost a little bit with this one.

And the music, my god, it bothered me all the movie. 

Alexandre Desplats... I really don't like him. This is said.

I just watched Valerian too. Ahh Besson...I truly adore him as a filmmaker, Fifth Element is wonderful and I even love Lucy. This one has so much potential - I thought it was imaginative and stunning - but it is so tragically let down by the casting of the two leads and the dialogue. I mean the dialogue sounds like it was written by a 14 year old doing his first screenplay. Lost in translation? Even that couldn't excuse it. Every single line is a cliche or worse utterly boring. And those two leads! What horrific miscasting! How could that have happened? Who looks at Dane DeHaan and says 'He's the new Han Solo!'. They were painful to watch. No chemistry either.

I find it sad because there is just so much to love about the film and it is so glaringly obvious what the flaws are that I can't believe no one stepped in and fixed it early days.

And Desplat's score is okay to me but nothing special. It has beautiful moments for sure but nothing in the way of big memorable space adventure themes. I'm glad he didn't do Rogue One, essentially.

2 minutes ago, idril said:

I just watched Valerian too. Ahh Besson...I truly adore him as a filmmaker, Fifth Element is wonderful and I even love Lucy. This one has so much potential - I thought it was imaginative and stunning - but it is so tragically let down by the casting of the two leads and the dialogue. I mean the dialogue sounds like it was written by a 14 year old doing his first screenplay. Lost in translation? Even that couldn't excuse it. Every single line is a cliche or worse utterly boring. And those two leads! What horrific miscasting! How could that have happened? Who looks at Dane DeHaan and says 'He's the new Han Solo!'. They were painful to watch. No chemistry either.

I find it sad because there is just so much to love about the film and it is so glaringly obvious what the flaws are that I can't believe no one stepped in and fixed it early days.

I watched it in french, and the dialogue are also bad I can assure you. This movie was simply a bit "too much" in all his aspects. I loved Le 5e élément.

2 minutes ago, idril said:

And Desplat's score is okay to me but nothing special. It has beautiful moments for sure but nothing in the way of big memorable space adventure themes. I'm glad he didn't do Rogue One, essentially.

Yes.

7 minutes ago, idril said:

:( 

I should say I really, really, really like Desplat! I just love him when he is smaller, quieter and more beautiful - and less so when he takes on the big epic scores.

I watched this documentary about Gay Cruises on Netflix.

Interresting.

And This is why I'LL NEVER GO ON THOSE CRUISES!!! Anyway, I'm not tempted by any cruise, gay or whatever.  To get "caught" on a boat with too many people makes me feel anxious. That's a NO-NO.