What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coco

Gorgeous-looking, heartwarming film. The story is genuinely fascinating and emotional, the characters are interesting and likable, and the animation is probably the best I've ever seen from Pixar. The music is superb as well; say what you will about Giacchino, but you could definitely tell he was firing on all cylinders when he scored this film.

Overall, Coco is a beautiful, thought-provoking film with rich visuals, a witty script, and winning performances, as well as a touching and sincere portrait of Mexican heritage and culture. This is Pixar at its finest.

***** out of *****

The Last Jedi. 

First impression... is that this is miles better than TFA. At least miles more entertaining. It could be shorter, but overall I think there was a clear propulsive core to the story, and the side story with Rey and Luke works very well for the most part. Could have trimmed a bit in the middle, and the climax went on longer than needed. But whereas TFA was a jumbled mess during the climax with no excitement whatsoever, here Rian Johnson is competent enough to build up to a a series of climatic showdowns that string together quite wonderfully. And it was actually EXCITING. 

I'm not sure it's great, but I'll certainly call it good and entertaining. That said I thought TFA was half decent in the first viewing, and dreadfully boring on the second. Time will tell if this holds up for me. 

Oh and a shout out to a gleefully shouty Domhnall Gleeson, who ramps it up even more here. 

Pity about Adam Driver, destined to be cited as one of the most miscast roles ever. It could have been a great character if played by someone who could look and act the part, not a younger Snape. I watched Logan Lucky recently too, and he was frankly rubbish in that as well. 

1 hour ago, BloodBoal said:

It is of course not helped by the fact the film ends with a pretty god-awful scene, hands down the worst scene of any SW film (Cremers will absolutely hate it!). 

The characters are watching footage of Luke removing Darth Vader's mask?

main-qimg-b22185b5f56500fa08f9e8b3a426e0

The Last Jedi. Decent but way too long. It was coasting along pretty well as a solid 3 starer and there were a few minutes during the finale where it was really trying for that fourth star, but it didn't quite have the skill to earn it. 

Dat moment in the music tho where

Spoiler

Luke walked out to meet Kylo

BrbEyp9.gif

All in all this movie was about as good as the previous two. 

8 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Dat moment in the music tho where

Yes!

9 minutes ago, Quintus said:

All in all this movie was about as good as the previous two.

Dunno yet how it stacks up against TFA, but it blows Rogue One out of the water.

It's a visually astounding space battle that did absolutely nothing for me emotionally. So its completely pointless.

I've almost completely forgotten Rogue One. It's empty calories Star Wars.

TFA, for all ifs faults, is not.

I could list off some of the traits if you really want me to, but it just mainly felt like a war movie to me. Obviously there was quieter Luke stuff on the island, but even Apocalypse Now has Brando in a cave. 

3 hours ago, crocodile said:

Rogue One had a pretty awesome battle sequence. Might be the best one in a SW film.

The film itself is pleasant enough but pointless.

Karol

Negative

Star Wars is better than a new hope.

Saw The Last Jedi yesterday. Still not sure what I think about it. It had a lot of potential and a more, if not original, then at least less "bigger version of the same old story, but with less impact" scrip than TFA. But TFA made it work by a great cast for great characters and perhaps the score that binds it all together. TLJ, while better in theory, seems to also have far more problems, being rather disjointed in parts (it seemed to me that, long though it is, some portions were trimmed too much for their own good) and having way too much out of character jokes. A rather uneven experience, and I can't say if I'll like it better or less when I see it a second time. Also, Porgs... I find it rather daring, after 34 years of people complaining about Ewoks, to fill half a movie with dozens of these small CGI characters doing stupid stuff and having absolutely no relation to the plot at all. (They're fun, sure, and mostly less offensive than some other jokes the movie throws at you, but you could simply remove every single Porg from the film without affecting the story).

The Last Jedi

Overall better than The Force Awakens for sure.  For about an hour and a half or so, it was MUCH better, I thought they were doing just about everything right, taking every character in the right directions and telling an interesting story. Then a series of stupid or underdeveloped or just plain silly things happen for a while, before ultimately wrapping up pretty fine enough.  

The film's biggest problem is its length, its a 2 1/2 hour film that only needed to be 2 hours.  You could take out 1, 2... I'd say 3 entire characters, restructure very simply one aspect of the story, and cut out half an hour of stuff and you'd have one lean mean and kickass movie.

The best things about it are that its not a coincidence and nostalgia driven plot like TFA, the characters introduced in TFA that you wanted to see on more adventures are all great here, and Luke is great too.  The worst things are basically all the new characters, a ton of unnecessary stuff, and the bloat / pacing like I said.

I haven't decided yet how I feel about its political / war profiteering angle (Funny to see right after the Mr Robot season finale covered some similar territory), or some of the character deaths and some other moments.  But overall, its more good than bad.  3 out of 5?

Oh, and the score is FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!

15 minutes ago, Jay said:

I haven't decided yet how I feel about its political / war profiteering angle

It's clumsily inserted, but it's the only part of the film that deals with the larger society of the SW universe. Beyond just the First Order or the Resistance. The Dark Side or the Light.

I liked that.

TLJ has a lot in common with the Prequels. More politics, more shades of grey, redundant characters, side stories.

It's like a Prequel film done by a better director. I absolutely believe the news that Lucas thought it was beautifully made.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-george-lucas-thinks-last-jedi-was-beautifully-made-1067092

I had a similar thought, that it felt to me like Rian Johnson is actually a prequel fan.  This film doesn't feature the prequel's worst traits like terrible acting and dialogue, or ruining characters you care about and changing things for no reason, or bad CGI.  But it kind of felt like it was structured and paced like a prequel film, and kinda scored like one too.  Way better special effects, acting, plot, and characters though

Has anyone seen "Call me by your name"?

It's one of those rare instances that I'd like to see a new film/.

But I see at imdb there is no credit for composer.

Didn't it have an original score?

I caught the album on Spotify. It's mostly various minimalist, impressionist piano pieces (Adams, Laplante, Sakamoto, etc) and some original songs by Sufjan Stevens, who's worked with Nico Muhly in the past.

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

The original score is by Sufjan Stevens

Strange that he hasn't got an imdb credit then.

1 minute ago, KK said:

I caught the album on Spotify. It's mostly various classical pieces (Adams, Laplante, Sakamoto, etc) and some original songs by Sufjan Stevens, who's worked with Nico Muhly in the past.

I see..

1 hour ago, KK said:

I caught the album on Spotify. It's mostly various classical pieces (Adams, Laplante, Sakamoto, etc) 

Sakamoto is 'classical' these days?

Star Wars: The Last Jedi - Aside from some pacing problem, I thought this was great. Possibly my favorite SW film since ESB. Hamill was great, and I was a fan of the Rey / Kylo Ren conflict. Also the Porgs are the most useless "sell merchandising" thing I've possibly ever seen, but at least there screentime is short. All n all pretty terrific. - 9 / 10

On 15/12/2017 at 6:29 AM, KK said:

Star Wars: The Last Jedi

It was alright. Messier than TFA, but reaches further.

If I was bored to death in Force Awakens, i wonder what would happen here..

The duration doesn't help either.

Also, i really like don't like Kylo Ren. He seems like a caricature villain.