What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

^On that ... is 'The Room' itself actually worth seeing? 'Cause sometimes bad movies are hilariously entertaining, but the incompetence on display can also just be irritating.  

Honestly the movie can be a bit on the boring side, like how Jaws 3 is mostly a bleary movie in its suckitude. There are some gems in there, though, most of which have been highlighted by memes years ago. 

Father Figures

Pretty terrible. We only saw it because no one else wanted to watch TLJ again.

Dead Poets Society

Brilliant and bitter-sweet. Really a special film that particularly resonates with me as a student. 

14 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

^On that ... is 'The Room' itself actually worth seeing? 'Cause sometimes bad movies are hilariously entertaining, but the incompetence on display can also just be irritating.  

It's a fun movie to watch with friends and riff. It's got a cult following for a reason. Tommy Wiseau is a literal alien.

On 30/12/2017 at 1:01 PM, Sweeping Strings said:

Just watch it. It's sublime:

Karol

I watched it for the first time the other week. It’s amazing just how bad it is. I have so many questions about it 😂 Looking forward to the Disaster Artist. 

32 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

But, still the first one had better visuals and story.

I liked it a lot. I have to watch it again before I'll decide how good I find the story as a continuation of the original. But one thing I can say for sure is that 2049 was one of the most amazing looking films I've seen, and if Deacon doesn't finally win an Oscar for it the world is not right.

5 hours ago, filmmusic said:

Blade Runner 2049.

It was OK.

I feared that I would be bored but I wasn't.

But, still the first one had better visuals and story.

This one doesn't seem like something that will remain a classic after 30-40 years.

Wow, you broke your own rule and watched a new movie!

Coco

Great visuals but the humor is tired and the story is kind of mediocre.  Giacchino's score is pretty bland, featuring the same cartoony tone of all his other scores.  Would have been interesting if they'd brought in an actual Mexican composer (or somebody who wouldn't just make it "Mexican music cliches + wacky mickey mousing").  

2 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Wow, you broke your own rule and watched a new movie!

Heheh. You remember that!

Yes, I thought to see what was the fuss about.

Also i was intrigued more because the opinions in  the internet were generally controversial. Others considered it bad, and others a masterpiece.

A local critic here who I trust, gave it 1* out of 5.

Well, the rule has exceptions.

This must be 1 post-2000 movie (not including anime) out of a 100 pre-2000 that I've watched.

The next ones will be The Post, Last Jedi and Call me by Your name (and maaaaybe Mother), and I think I'll be finished for the year. :P

Image result for the post cast

The Post

Not any kind of new masterpiece, but not bad, either!  It's a fairly interesting story, told in a mostly "comfort food" kind of way, like grandpa Spielberg and Hanks are taking you through the beats in the most standard way possible - the film has no surprises and is predictable throughout, but that isn't necessarily a complaint.  The cast is great, not only Streep and Hanks as (kind of) co-leads (I guess by the end its more Streep's film), but the huge supporting cast, the kind where new characters keep popping up and you go "oh, it's that guy!"  I was amused to see the guy from The Americans playing another character stealing government secrets, and of course seeing Odendirk and Cross on-screen together again!

The film was expertly spotted, before the end credits begin rolling there's barely over 30 minutes of score throughout its 2 hours, and its almost dropped in right when it should be and doesn't outstay its welcome.  The score might not make for the most fun album you can listen to, but it suits the film like a velvet glove for sure.

I don't expect this to win any of the big awards at the Oscars at all, now that I've seen it.  

The Last Jedi for a second time ... this time the over-length and Johnson's desire to kick against/twist the SW 'lore' were a sight more noticeable, to the film's detriment. There's still stuff in it I dig, though.

Coco

Solid entry from pixar. The animation was top notch especially regarding the details in the environment. Especially when

Spoiler

Miguel gets thrown in the hole with Hector. I thought the water looked practically real

The songs were fun, but I didn't really notice the score too often.

The Disaster Artist

This was funnier than I thought it was, considering I could barely get through half of The Room. James Franco has a real affection for the movie, as well as his leading performance as Tommy Wiseau. Franco manages to make Wiseau funny, eccentric, and vulnerable. His younger brother Dave playing Greg Sistero wasn't quite as impressive (they could've gotten someone who looked more on point), but he played well against James. The supporting cast was excellent, and the various cameos were hilarious.

I doubt this will get serious Oscar love, but this is a very entertaining film.

Saw The Post. Great film, well-acted, and very relevant too. Williams's score was sparse especially for a Spielberg film, but its use in the climax was fantastic. - 8.5 / 10

My 1:40 showing sold out though, and it was surprisingly a mix of older people, and some younger ones too. I don't even think my The Last Jedi showing had as many people in it as my Post screening did. Nuts!

Darkest Hour - under superb prosthetics, a virtually unrecognisable Gary Oldman plays Winston Churchill brilliantly. An amusing, stirring and at times moving film that I enjoyed very much; it would make for a ideal companion piece to Dunkirk.   

Jumanji

It was about as good as I expected given the general consensus is that it's better than it looks. Kevin Hart still bugs the crap out of me, but I thought everyone else did a great job. Lots of genuinely funny parts, and it was well paced. 7/10

Just saw Downsizing. I was expecting to be disappointed, given the reviews, but honestly I was surprised by how much I liked it. And Rolfe Kent's score is good, too. My favorite film of 2017 so far

Now all that's left to see is Phantom Thread...

Call Me By Your Name - Great film, though it's pretty clearly about upper white class, so I can see a lot of people not relating to it though. All the performances are superb. Michael Stuhlberg's "big speech scene", is one of the best acted moments of any film I've seen this year. - 9 / 10

The Commuter - Liam Neeson's latest 'ageing action man' number. Preposterous but enjoyable enough with a decent supporting cast that includes Patrick Wilson, Sam Neill, Vera Farmiga and Andy Nyman.

Screen%20Shot%202017-09-28%20at%205.29.5

Darkest Hour

Uneven film, with occasionally interesting visuals held together by Oldman's roaring performance. The film, otherwise, is a bit run-of-the-mill. 

Darkest Hour (2017) followed immediately by Churchill (2017).

Darkest hour was excellent. Gary Oldman inhabits Churchill, it was one of the finest transformative performances by an actor I've ever seen.  A compelling drama, well acted, well scripted and enjoyable throughout. And the luminescent Lilly James is always a treat to watch. Highly recommended.

Churchill on the other hand, isn't a good movie. Setting aside the fact that it gets really basic facts historically wrong, and laughably so, the way they've written Churchill is just bizarre...he's completely unrecognisable to anyone who knows the first thing about his life. He's treated like a bothersome bore who was in everyone's way, and you get zero indication how he could have ever done anything great or eventually be regarded as the greatest Britain.

Another odd thing is the guy they have playing Eisenhower. He captures none of Ike's likability and charm (things that helped make him President) but rather plays him like the typical, straight up asshole American military guy you see in action flicks, which Ike decidedly was not. And if the way the character was written wasn't bad enough, the acting was just wooden.

Really, really odd choices, maybe the director, whose Australian, just hates Brits and Americans.

It's a pity, because Brian Cox does a good Churchill, but the script just fails him.  It almost plays like a sequel to Darkest Hour, because it covers a later period in the war (Darkest Hour being Dunkirk, Churchill being the period leading up to D-Day), but the film is so fundamentally flawed I can't recommend it.

But Gary Oldman has my vote for best actor (not that the academy asked me).

4 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

He's treated like a bothersome bore who was in everyone's way, and you get zero indication how he could have ever done anything great or eventually be regarded as the greatest Britain

Isnt that kind of an accurate description of him later in life though? His term as PM after the war etc?

Churchill was undoubtedly one of the most important figures of the 20th century, in a way few men have been. But didnt his health start to fail him eventually? Hardly surprising the way he drank.

He really didn't have much of a term as PM after the war...he lost the election like 5 minutes after the war ended (well close enough).  But yeah, that wasn't the best time time for him.  And he certainly liked the drink a little too much.

But the film portrays him in the days leading up to Normandy in a way I've never read. He had reservations about the invasion, but the film, for example, has him literally praying for bad weather so the invasion can be called off. That's not only historically inaccurate, it's a fundamental change to his character. Then they show Churchill holed up in bed in a depressed stupor during the invasion. 

It just depicts him as a completely pathetic figure. Darkest Hour also explores the less attractive side of Churchill, but in a much more nuanced and balanced (and I'd say more accurate) way.

I watched The Post recently and really enjoyed it. I love those tension-y movies and that last shot was so nice. It was the cherry on the top. 

The Post. Mediocre because I thought it was too conventional and had plot holes

Shape of Water. Pretty decent film but for some reason it reminded me of E.T. Plus the sex scenes felt out of place for a movie like this. I had listened to the score on album and I like a few tracks but I thought it was sort of annoying and repetitive in the film

Jumanji. I dunno, it felt like the standard CGI action  film with nothing that stood out. I'm not sure why it got good reviews compared to similar films (it wasn't better or worse than POWER RANGERS for example) . I was expecting better . The Jack Black character didn't work for me

5 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

Darkest hour was excellent. Gary Oldman inhabits Churchill, it was one of the finest transformative performances by an actor I've ever seen.  A compelling drama, well acted, well scripted and enjoyable throughout. And the luminescent Lilly James is always a treat to watch. Highly recommended.

I saw that but beyond Oldman it didn't seem to possess much that lifted it above standard 'well-made' biopic fare, cf The Imitation Game.